No announcement yet.

St. Cloud State University HUSKIES!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Cloud State University HUSKIES!!

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
    While I don't condone taking undue risks to travel, the winds have subsided substantially, and the I-90 is clear sailing from Boston all the way to the NY/PA border between Buffalo and Erie. Day and night between yesterday and today. The Snow you are referring to is much further south, in Virginia. Here north of the border, we had a pile of wind, but the rain that was expected here died down in the Adirondacks last night, so we did not get any. In addition, we are in the Warm sector, and it is a balmy 62 degrees here, very warm for this time of year.

Best wishes to all those caught up in this mess. Our D is one of them, as she goes to one of the schools on the Eastern Seaboard. Their schools classes are shut down at the moment, but all are safe otherwise.
    I was "stuck" in Wisconsin until yesterday, and the news out there was that Ohio was getting clobbered with snow and wind, and that the system was moving further west. The winds were picking up out there when we finally got out early yesterday afternoon. The flight back to Boston was far smoother than I anticipated.

Good to get back home!
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Glad to hear that the St. Cloud team got home safely. Good luck to both teams this weekend. Should be an interesting series.

Comment

I was very happy to see so many fans of women's hockey concerned for the welfare and whereabouts of my beloved SCSU Huskies. One picture of the team had them out frolicking in the New England rain--just before it got dicey. Another photo had several players dragging bags of laundry--obviously in search of a laundromat. So, it seems they were safe and sound during their adventure.

But so many fans are worried that the Huskies will be tired, worn out and less than ready to face the new powerhouse, tOSU Buckeyes.

Here is why the Huskies will most likely sweep the visitors:

--First home game of the season. Crowd (all 25 of us!) will go nuts seeing the home town heroes for the first time!

--We (ah, SCSU) absolutely OWNS tOhio State. (Well, we have had some success against them in the past . . .)

--Freshman goalie Katie Fitzgerald is awesome, and sophomore goalie Julie Friend may be all-world. 'Nuff said.

--While on extended stay out East, team gained valuable cultural and social skills. They are all much more "centered."

--Instead of tired, team should be well-rested. After all, the flight time is the same whether it is Monday or Wednesday . . .

And don't forget the veteran sniper--Number 23, Machine Gun Mollie Mott!!!
        Last edited by The Boomer; 11-02-2012, 01:39 AM.

Comment

As you can see, the assessment of the series was spot-on. ---Well, the Huskied DID lose, 3-2 in a very fast paced contest that saw the Buckeyes bolt to a 2-0 lead (maybe SCSU was "tired"--they gave up a goal at the 23 sec. mark!).

But the locals came back strong, backed by 158 paying customers and maybe 100 comped seats. Huskies tie the game early in the third, but Ohio State was too much and too crafty on this day, and won it on a goal by Tina Hollowell.

IMPRESSIVE FOR THE BUCKEYES: The twin towers--Kari and Sara Schmitt played well and played physically for the Buckeyes. The freshman that impressed me last year is better this year--Taylor Kuehl. Very crafty and moves well with and away from the puck. #4 Alli Tarr was her pesky and troublesome (for the Huskies) self. She is fun to watch. Goalie Chelsea Knapp was solid and made all the saves she should have, and robbed the Huskies on several other occasions.

IMPRESSIVE FOR THE HUSKIES: Goalie Julie Friend played well in goal. And as called previously, Machine Gun Molli Mott did light the lamp for the home team! Sophomore Aubrey Hanmer played well defensively, and moved the puck effectively for SCSU.

The Huskies go for half a sweep tomorrow at 2:07 pm.

Comment

Good information, delivered in good humor. Thumbs up and thanks!

Comment

Boomer, good luck the rest of the way! Hope to see you in Columbus for the return match!

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
                The Huskies go for half a sweep tomorrow
                Good way to express the Half Glass Full concept.

Comment

A fun game to watch (obviously more fun for the Ohio fans) today at the Concrete Center. Suffering from offensive power outages the past two seasons, the Huskies have a new approach. Today both SCSU goals were short handed. Huskies held a lead for a good portion of the game, until the fateful third period. I can see why this Buckeye team has excited their fans-- they role lines without drop in production, good goaltending and the never quit attitude. Good luck to them the rest of the way, at least until SCSU travels to Ohio in January (if they aren't stranded somewhere).

BRIGHT SIDE: I have to agree with my Gopher friends--the Huskies have improved since last season and will win some games this year. Sophomore defender Aubrey Hanmer had a terrific game defensively and offensively. Freshman goalie Katie Fitzgerald looked good, and my favorite, "Machine Gun" Molli Mott got off 9 SOG and is playing with confidence. Hope to see some of the other freshmen in action next week as SCSU hosts Lindenwood.

OHIO STATE OBSERVATIONS: This is the least physical Buckeye team I have seen. Past squads always seemed to have a few players that played on the fringe of legality. ---Right after the game, coach Hanrahan just screamed at referee Jay Mendel. Now lets remember that Ohio won the game. From the fan's vantage point, this was a typical WCHA reffed series--mostly good, with iffy calls on both sides. I thought it odd that Hanrahan threw a tantrum. Of course the Huskies are coached by Jeff Giesen who is no stranger to railing at the refs on a regular basis . . .

Comment

Originally posted by The Boome
                    Of course the Huskies are coached by Jeff Giesen who is no stranger to railing at the refs on a regular basis . . .
                    Surely you jest. No WCHA coach would ever question the judgement of an official.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Surely you jest. No WCHA coach would ever question the judgement of an official.
                      No, I am not jesting, and please don't call me Shirley!!

Comment

I look for the Huskies to put a couple in the W column in their next conference series.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Huskies get a W in NC action today vs. Lindenwood. Always like to see that WCHA NC record improve.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

This is to rescue this thread from the second page--unfortunately, rescuing the team from the second division will be a more difficult job . . .

Yes, the Huskies did sweep Lindenwood--barely on a Friday, and more convincing on the Saturday.

Then the maligned/injured/controversial (only because of their firey, outspoken and entertaining coach, Shannon Miller) the UMD Bulldogs came to town. Those that may bode ill will towards Miller and her international squad were too optimistic regarding the "end of the era." Ms. Miller had most, if not all, of her players healthy and playing. Both games gave the impression that after UMD got a 3 goal lead, the remainder of the contests were high-test systems and passing practice. The Dogs moved the puck at will, and the sharpshooters took dead aim--putting up 4 each night against the two very good SCSU netminders.

While all Bulldogs impressed, I was most taken by #19, Jenny McParland. Effortless skater, smart hockey player, and very, very skilled.

On the home town side, local hero Machine Gun Molli Mott gave good effort as always, and Capt. Alex Nelson was impressive Saturday (she did not play Friday due to an upper arm injury in the shoulder area).

But things get easier over the Thanksgiving weekend when the Huskies travel to Madtown for a go at the Badgers. Didn't someone say they weren't quite the power this year??

Comment

[/QUOTE]But things get easier over the Thanksgiving weekend when the Huskies travel to Madtown for a go at the Badgers. Didn't someone say they weren't quite the power this year??[/QUOTE]

This will be a good test for the Huskies, on the road too. In 10 games played for both. SCSU gf 12 ga 31 -19 1.2 goals a game is not enough. Wisco is 20 gf and 16 ga +4. This could be the day

Comment

Breaking News!! SCSU Huskies rise from the bottom of the league to 7th place!

After a warm up sweep at Lindenwood (by a slim margin), the Huskies hosted the Mad Cows from Mankato and lost a close one Friday before winning the Saturday contest by three. The empty net goal at the end by senior defender Katie Allen was Ms. Allen's first goal as a Husky.

After winning three of the last four games, the Huskies don't play for a couple of months Well, at least not until they host the last place Bemidji State Beavers Jan. 4-5.
                                Last edited by The Boomer; 12-13-2012, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X