X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Thread IV

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    So...kicking off the WCHA conference schedule for 2014-2015 I see Minnesota Duluth is first hosting Wisconsin, then Minnesota the following weekend then traveling to NoDak after that. That same weekend Minnesota travels to Wisconsin. I think NoDak is at Minnesota after that. Safe to say the WCHA conference starts with a bang distributing some very important conference points with opportunities for someone to grab an early advantage in the race. No warm up, or break in period for anyone. Best be ready to compete from the get go. Should be a very interesting first month to the 2014-2015 campaign.

I'm ready.
    At least UW plays 2 @ Lindenwood before heading to UMD, then OSU at home before the rodents, so they's have 6 games under their belts before the titanic battle in Madison.

I'm READY!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      Grand Forks is about as far away from Boston as you can get in the US
      about the only way for more culture shock would be to go there from Miami
      Oh geez you betcha it’s totally on the other side of the world that’s fer sure. Grand Forks may not be as foewid as Boston, Miami or even Nooyawk (heaven forbid) for that madder.... Cause yaw got no candlepins on Sattaday, no american chop suey, yaw can’t take the next cah to Nawth Station…but then again no problems pahking the cah or having to worring about the Barnies and the chowdaheads
      And then again… they got bahs and bahbas…no problem getten a Coffee regula, or a tawnic, and bottle at the packie on the conner, and I’m sure yaw can get jimmies on yoah ice cream… however, no dunkies...not quite yet, but yaw can find killa dunks at Timmy Hoatons. Neybuhs are scarce and the enviament is a little scary with the naycha and all. No such thing as flurries on the plains. When the tempuhcha drops and that wind blows like a bastard…it makes a no’reaster seem like a soammer breeze.
      So yah theah different…but then again the Fawks still have plenny a chahm…and if you’re a hockey player…oh my gawd…no place better in the world… cause the Ralf is friken wicked…oh you betcha it is

Comment

frozen, you forgot to mention the Olive Gaaden! (or just "The Gaaden" as Grank Forkians like to call it). Totally fun hangout for all ages, plus fabulous Italian cuisine, doncha know.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I much prefer to cross the river and go to Whitey's or the Blue Moose. What is with you people and The Olive Garden?
          The funny thing is, I meant my comment as a compliment, you wouldn't catch me dead in Boston if they were giving away free gravesights.

So last year I was spot on that the Gophers would lose 2 and be tied once, not that I'm happy about that

but I didn't think UND would be affected so much by the loss of Olympians nor that the Badgers would score as much as they did, so I was wrong about UND 2nd & the Badgers 3rd
          This year the Badgers will end their losing streak against the Gophers, but ultimately finish 2nd
          UND will edge out UMD for 3rd and ultimately lose to the Badgers in the WCHA tournament, I can't see the Badgers letting them beat them 2 years in a row
          Perennial 4/5 OSU will once again finish 5th and probably get into another fight

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            Ringette is the answer to the trivia question:
            What girl’s high school sport in MN was dropped by 100% of the teams in favor of hockey?
            My granddaughter played ringette up to the date when they dropped it, and I couldn't of been happier they did. Makes you wonder what if players the like of Kessel played ringette instead of hockey?.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSandy View Post
              My granddaughter played ringette up to the date when they dropped it, and I couldn't of been happier they did. Makes you wonder what if players the like of Kessel played ringette instead of hockey?.
              Why were you happy they dropped it?
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Ringette is the answer to the trivia question:
                What girl’s high school sport in MN was dropped by 100% of the teams in favor of hockey?
                MN held the world championship in 1992, and no doubt ringette aficionados had high hopes for the coming years. But ringette was effectively killed by the MSHL decision 2 years later approving hockey as a sport for high school girls. Overnight, ringette went from a popular sport (at least in the east metro) to a sport nobody played. The decision no doubt also killed ringette in WI & ND where it had just taken hold since players and coaches there now worked to bring girl’s hockey to their states as well.
                Read this post before I saw who posted it and did a spit take when I looked.

Really fascinating post. Had they not done that you think we would see something along the lines of the baseball for boys/softball for girls split we see today?
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  Really fascinating post. Had they not done that you think we would see something along the lines of the baseball for boys/softball for girls split we see today?
                  Possibly. From my limited POV, it would, at minimum, have delayed or killed the addition of women's hockey as a college varsity sport in the Upper Midwest. That's why Julie Otto Greely, the first captain at Minnesota, initially went to Northeastern to play hockey. I don't know if Kessel would have played ringette or just have gone out east to play hockey.
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I understand, gotta pretend you are ignoring me

What many today may not know is that girls played hockey in the 70’s but it died out, at least where I lived, because the best players went to play with the boys. The significant thing there was that their fathers, who were the guys that coached and ran the league went with them and the league struggled to fill their void. The void was partially filled by having a gym hockey league, it was obvious girls wanted to play hockey.
                    Years later 2 of the 3 schools in the school district I lived had ringette teams, the players were given a vote whether to keep it or not when the MSHL approved hockey, but it was only advisory, the school board was not bound by it. But 100% of the players voted for hockey, not one for ringette, and parents and coaches were also in favor although it may have been that a few parents were afraid to go against the tide. The school board’s decision was easy and all 3 schools immediately went to work to have girls hockey at their school the next year (ironically the one that didn’t have ringette won the 1st state hockey championship). The school district where I had attended as a student/grew up also immediately began to form teams at their 2 schools and fielded teams the inaugural year too, and one made the 1st state tournament. That these schools could form teams so quickly and be good at it showed there were plenty of girls already interested and/or playing hockey in some form, and many more were interested.

Comment

I understand, gotta pretend you are ignoring me

What many today may not know is that girls played hockey in the 70’s but it died out, at least where I lived, because the best players went to play with the boys. The significant thing there was that their fathers, who were the guys that coached and ran the league went with them and the league struggled to fill their void. The void was partially filled by having a gym hockey league, it was obvious girls wanted to play hockey.
                      Years later 2 of the 3 schools in the school district I lived had ringette teams, the players were given a vote whether to keep it or not when the MSHL approved hockey, but it was only advisory, the school board was not bound by it. But 100% of the players voted for hockey, not one for ringette, and parents and coaches were also in favor although it may have been that a few parents were afraid to go against the tide. The school board’s decision was easy and all 3 schools immediately went to work to have girls hockey at their school the next year (ironically the one that didn’t have ringette won the 1st state hockey championship). The school district where I had attended as a student/grew up also immediately began to form teams at their 2 schools and fielded teams the inaugural year too, and one made the 1st state tournament. That these schools could form teams so quickly and be good at it showed there were plenty of girls already interested and/or playing hockey in some form, and many more were interested.
                      Never heard of ringette so I looked it up. Invented by Canadians in 1963. No wonder the girls in Canada are so good with their sticks. Mobile shuffleboard on ice. Thank GOD it died out.

Comment

It used to be the case in Ontario as well back in the 60s-early 80s that girls were directed into Ringette rather than hockey and it was more popular. In my view it was sexist thinking that the powers that be thought it was a better female equivalent and girls really didn't get to make their own choice. Girls were not typically allowed to play hockey until girls like Justine Blainey lobbied in court to be able to play on boys teams. Eventually, once the women's world championships for hockey increased the profile of the sport, far more girls started playing hockey vs ringette--or switched over, girls hockey leagues were formed as an option, and ringette has basically pretty much died out. Thank God.
                        Last edited by Trillium; 09-17-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                          In my view it was sexist thinking that the powers that be thought it was a better female equivalent and girls really didn't get to make their own choice.
                          true, but it was as much the fact that the people making the decisions were out of touch, a generation thing, often older without school age daughters, if they had daughters of the age they'd have better understood

the fathers coaching the girls teams and who fought for ice time sure didn't have a problem with their daughters playing hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                            It used to be the case in Ontario as well back in the 60s-early 80s that girls were directed into Ringette rather than hockey and it was more popular. In my view it was sexist thinking that the powers that be thought it was a better female equivalent and girls really didn't get to make their own choice. Girls were not typically allowed to play hockey until girls like Justine Blainey lobbied in court to be able to play on boys teams. Eventually, once the women's world championships for hockey increased the profile of the sport, far more girls started playing hockey vs ringette--or switched over, girls hockey leagues were formed as an option, and ringette has basically pretty much died out. Thank God.

I've actually seen it played in Ontario as I was waiting for a hockey game. HORRIBLE

Comment

BSU has their season preview up!

http://www.bsubeavers.com/whockey/ne...eason-preview/
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Why were you happy they dropped it?
                                I don't like the sport nearly as much as hockry!

Comment

Working...
                                X