X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2012-13 Season

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
    Out of five.... I'd go one. The Gaffney goal was put into a half open cage with nobody back.

Hertz's goal was nice. Breakaway coming out of the box and just flat out owned broadwater.
    +1
    Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
    Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
    Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
    2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post
      +1
      You at either game this past weekend?
      2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
      2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
      2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
      2009 D-III TOP runner-up
      Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
      1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
        Out of five.... I'd go one. The Gaffney goal was put into a half open cage with nobody back.

Hertz's goal was nice. Breakaway coming out of the box and just flat out owned broadwater.
        I would go with Morton's if there was one though it was off the post and in. I would term "soft" as goals that a goalie could reasonably/should stop. The first 4 broadwater was left out to dry more than anything.

Uticas transition game from D to O is very good. Their half court offense and defense were not overly impressive. Therrien was very solid for them. If Hobart cleans up their passing and making sure everyone is covered off the rebound then I believe that they can beat Utica.

On a NCAA tourney note with 6-7 games left before tournaments, I believe that UC and Hobart provided they each win out their games against the rest of the conference (Elmira 3x, M-ville and NU for Hobart and M-ville 3x, Naz 2x, and NU for UC) then they split 1-1 in 2 weeks and meet in championship, its going to be near impossible that they dont take both. Its going to come down to either one of them or SUNYAC 2nd place (which in that case has to be Genny/Platty winning tourney unless Oz blows regular season, I cant see SUNYAC getting 2 in over UC and Bart any other way). I don't know the metrics of breaking down Genny/Platty versus UC/Bart but I cant see either of those 2 kicking out 2nd ECAC-W. Thats also assuming Eau Claire continues what they have been doing. I am not sold on Babson making enough noise to get serious consideration but we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post
          And 0-1 vs the 9th place team in the SUNY. My only guess as to why Utica is not ranked higher is they are the ONLY team in the top 10 of the rankings that has 2 losses to teams with losing records. It is not always who you beat that matters, it's also who you lose to.
          My "guess" is that nobody who votes in that beauty-contest has seen even half the teams they vote for/against, which is actually a solemn fact, according to the three coaches I've asked about it, including one currently coaching in D-1... All three told me that they never once evaluated a team that wasn't on their schedule, which of course makes perfect sense.

The equipment-managers probably vote for the coaches at times (I've heard that first-hand, too), because everyone involved knows that the media polls are completely irrelevant and regularly ridiculous.

Good thing that that rubbish doesn't count at all in the selection process... And the titular voters know that much, so nobody breaks a sweat trying to make it appear accurate. They have more urgent things to do than trying to break down those numbers, such as trying to win actual hockey games for their own teams.

Good for them... The media polls just waste their time.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-22-2013, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            If all goes as planned, there will be one Pool C from the West and 2 from the East. This leads to two opening round games in the West and one in the East. The East, barring somebody going 25-0, will be MASCAC / ECAC-NE with the winner playing Norwich the #1 Eastern seed. Everyone in the East, except the MASCAC/NE gets a bye to the NCAA Quarterfinals.

The West gets the graphite shaft.
            Joe, is it theoretically possible that two Eastern Pool-C teams could garner both home ice, and a first-round bye for each, if their rankings warranted it?

(I'd look it up, but researching the D-3 process always makes me reach for the Advil.. It's easier just to ask you, and thanks for your input.)
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              A one-liner is a guy who has played with the same two other forwards all season.
              I know it was something like that.
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                You at either game this past weekend?
                Nope. Just saw video of the game
                Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
                Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
                2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Joe, is it theoretically possible that two Eastern Pool-C teams could garner both home ice, and a first-round bye for each, if their rankings warranted it?

(I'd look it up, but researching the D-3 process always makes me reach for the Advil.. It's easier just to ask you, and thanks for your input.)
                  I'm not Joe, but I'll answer - (see it's not always so bad to have a "foreigner" posting in your thread ). Once the field is set, the seedings are determined without reference to whether the teams come from Pool A, B, or C. A Pool C team could be the #1 seed in its region. It would not be a surprise at all for Pool C teams to get byes. Since the ECAC NE and MASCAC teams figure to be the bottom two East seeds, it is very likely that something like that could happen.
                  Last edited by NUProf; 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I'm not Joe, but I'll answer - (see it's not always so bad to have a "foreigner" posting in your thread ). Once the field is set, the seedings are determined without reference to whether the teams come from Pool A, B, or C. A Pool C team could be the #1 seed in its region. It would not be a surprise at all for Pool C teams to get byes. Since the ECAC NE and MASCAC teams figure to be the bottom two East seeds, it is very likely that something like that could happen.
                    And let's not forget that one of the biggest considerations is to limit the # of flights required. If a team must travel more than 500 miles, then they will require a flight. Because of this, 4 teams from the West makes sense and thus almost guarantees a Pool C team to be from the Western Region.
                    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                      And let's not forget that one of the biggest considerations is to limit the # of flights required. If a team must travel more than 500 miles, then they will require a flight. Because of this, 4 teams from the West makes sense and thus almost guarantees a Pool C team to be from the Western Region.
                      However, the location of Adrian allows them to be almost a "swing" team - the fact that they are within 500 miles of some East teams and more than 500 miles away from some West teams makes them a bit of a Wild Card in the process.

Actually 3 West teams can make sense as well if none of them are Adrian - give one a bye and put the other two in the first round. If the MCHA winner is not Adrian, then you give the NCHA winner the bye and make the MCHA winner and MIAC winner square off.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

A one-liner is a guy who has played with the same two other forwards all season.
                        Something you'll NEVER see in Elmira
                        Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                        Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                        Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

However, the location of Adrian allows them to be almost a "swing" team - the fact that they are within 500 miles of some East teams and more than 500 miles away from some West teams makes them a bit of a Wild Card in the process.

Actually 3 West teams can make sense as well if none of them are Adrian - give one a bye and put the other two in the first round. If the MCHA winner is not Adrian, then you give the NCHA winner the bye and make the MCHA winner and MIAC winner square off.
                          Very true!
                          Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                          2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Came-across this link to a New York Hockey Journal article in the RIT thread (with thanks to Ed for posting it)... And I’m sorry to break-it to the Uticanites, but they’re ranked #8 in this one too. (But ahead of both Oswego and Plattsburgh)

Cheers!!!

EDIT: Insert mandatory "It's all RIT's fault" here...
                            Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM.
                            Dave
                            RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                              Came-across this link to a New York Hockey Journal article in the RIT thread (with thanks to Ed for posting it)... And I’m sorry to break-it to the Uticanites, but they’re ranked #8 in this one too. (But ahead of both Oswego and Plattsburgh)

Cheers!!!

EDIT: Insert mandatory "It's all RIT's fault" here...
                              True, without Romney & the Stafford's bleachers they just aren't what they used to be.

And yes, Brucey came via RIT!
                              Larry Normandin
                              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

It's always worthwhile to read an interesting and informed post on any thread, Prof, and I've never implied otherwise... It's the weenies who come here just to taunt (when they have an open window to slither through) that stick in my craw.

In summary, thanks very much for the info.

I've always assumed that the AQ's had some sort of unspoken advantage over the Pool C teams when it comes to seeding. That appeared to happen quite often until the past couple of years, but the process seems to have become more objective in the meantime, albeit without any concurrent improvement in its transparency.

"Whatever", I suppose; D-3 hockey seems to moving in the right direction, even if it's still a big secret to us fans. (What is The Committee thinking, I have to wonder..? Maybe that Las Vegas is hanging on to their every word?!? )
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-23-2013, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X