X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2012-13 Season

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    who votes in the NCAA poles, and I guess this is the major place where teams get in and get booted out of the playoffs??
    Last year, the following had a say on the rankings. It will be different this year due to coaching changes.

The smoke filled room: Bruce Delventhal (chair), Mike McShane, Tim Baid, Brett Petersen

Eastern Advisory Committee: Delventhal, McShane, Ed Gozek, Jamie Rice, Lou Izzi, Bill Kangas, Bill O'Neill, Ken Levinthal

West Advisory Committee: Bald, Petersen, Mark Wick, Mike Szkodzinski, Chris Howe

This year's rankings are out on 2/12, 2/19, 2/26 with the selection call on March 3.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Just havin fun here. I looked and was wrong...Platty can get in with an autobid. But, they're 1-3 vs top ten and won't get in any other way. Wrong or right ??
      I wouldn't worry so much about Plattsburgh. Just take care of your business. I think the Cards have some life left in them for the rest of the season. They won't give up that easily. Quite alot of hockey to play yet. Don't ruffle my feathers. You know how I can get!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Only one problem...Platty has no shot of getting in.
        I wonder how you figure that??? 1 point behind in standings with a game in hand. More importantly, a propensity for winning huge games when it counts and an unprecented number of NCAA appearances. More appearances than ANY DIII team...EVER. Plattsburgh not only can certainly win the SUNYAC tourney, but are now watching some competition for final NCAA slot slowly fall by the wayside.

For the record, they are 2-2 (both 1 goal losses) vs. Top 15, not 1-3. That record is better than Oswego's (1-3) and we beat them head-to-head. Perhaps you should wonder how they have a shot ??

Comment

• Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
          For the record, they are 2-2 (both 1 goal losses) vs. Top 15, not 1-3. That record is better than Oswego's (1-3) and we beat them head-to-head. Perhaps you should wonder how they have a shot ??
          Patty is 2-4 against teams that are most likely ranked in the top 15 in the EAST (Norwich, Genny, Amherst, Williams, Castleton, Oswego). Oswego is 2-3 (Platty, Hobart, Utica x2, Genny). Though Oz does lose the head to head at the moment, they have a better win %, a better record against ranked teams, and a better record against common opponents. As it stands now Oswego would have a better chance at the Pool C than Plattsburgh. With that said, I think both teams would be best served winning the SUNY tourney, as neither is a lock by any stretch of the imagination for the Pool C.
          93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
          2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
          2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
          2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
          2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

Utica is like the Manti Te'os girlfriend of the NCAA's. Pretty thing to talk and think about, but at the end of the day, their just not there....
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
              Utica is like the Manti Te'os girlfriend of the NCAA's. Pretty thing to talk and think about, but at the end of the day, their just not there....
              Outstanding!
              2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
              2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
              2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
              2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
              2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

• Originally posted by 93GreatLaker View Post
                Patty is 2-4 against teams that are most likely ranked in the top 15 in the EAST (Norwich, Genny, Amherst, Williams, Castleton, Oswego). Oswego is 2-3 (Platty, Hobart, Utica x2, Genny). Though Oz does lose the head to head at the moment, they have a better win %, a better record against ranked teams, and a better record against common opponents. As it stands now Oswego would have a better chance at the Pool C than Plattsburgh. With that said, I think both teams would be best served winning the SUNY tourney, as neither is a lock by any stretch of the imagination for the Pool C.
                I'd be willing to bet Plymouth gets ranked in one of the rankings
                http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                  First you tell us to stay off the Utica thread when you lose......then you wonder where we are when you win! Nice win, hush and enjoy it.
                  Sorry for the mixed-message... I meant to say that I'd prefer (most of) you guys off this thread win, lose or draw.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by polarbear2 View Post
                    I get it. Even though KRACH and the USCHO poll make no sense...Utica should be ranked No. 1 in either, or both! With losses to Neumann, Cortland and Elmira, if Utica was ranked No. 1, it would be a very strong argument for your above theory.
                    To clarify: I meant to say that the USCHO poll doesn't count and that the Krach doesn't matter in the selection process... And that the latter measure makes waaay more sense to me as a general rule, if not so much right now.

I didn't mean to insult Bowdoin. I'm sure that the Polar Bears could beat anyone in the nation on a given night, but a SOS-ranking of 29 makes their W/L record look a bit suspect to me right now. (And yes, I could make a similar case against several other teams' ranking on that basis... Nothing personal was intended.)

As of today, Utica, Neumann, Elmira and Hobart are 2-5 in the KRACH SOS rankings. I expect each of them to lose games to each other down the stretch in conference-play, as happens every season. The trolls will be here to crow about that circumstance, of course, but there is no stronger conference in the East than the ECAC-West, and it's collective SOS number will continue to reflect that fact, even as their collective winning % drops.

As I've said before, Bowdoin can only play the teams on its schedule, as can anyone... But when one evaluates the relative merits of any team's W/L %, one must look carefully at who it's played, and Bowdoin hasn't played much of a schedule. (While I prefer KRACH to any other objective system I've seen out there, I do take issue with how it weighs SOS, and that was my point last night.)

FWIW, the NCAA seems to have followed the PWR pretty closely in the past couple of years when selecting/seeding teams, and while this metric is not "up" yet, I'd be willing to bet that it would have Bowdoin in the top three, if not at #1... If it keeps doing what its doing, Bowdoin will be a virtual lock for a bye and home-ice, IMO.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-21-2013, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                      Good season by the pioneers, I do hope they keep it going. It'd be fun to see Plattsburgh beat them in the NCAAs
                      Well, a Plattsburg victory would even the all time series record to 1-1.
                      2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                      2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                      2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                      2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                      Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                      1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                        Well, a Plattsburg victory would even the all time series record to 1-1.
                        Not sure about Plattsburg, but a PlattsburgH win would still be more then Utica has NCAA apperances......
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Last year, the following had a say on the rankings. It will be different this year due to coaching changes.

The smoke filled room: Bruce Delventhal (chair), Mike McShane, Tim Baid, Brett Petersen

Eastern Advisory Committee: Delventhal, McShane, Ed Gozek, Jamie Rice, Lou Izzi, Bill Kangas, Bill O'Neill, Ken Levinthal

West Advisory Committee: Bald, Petersen, Mark Wick, Mike Szkodzinski, Chris Howe

This year's rankings are out on 2/12, 2/19, 2/26 with the selection call on March 3.
                          thanks for the info, with all these polls and krach and bs I didnt know whats what and what really matters anymore...besides my 6y.o....so when the ranking come out on 2/12 we can expect a huge uproar no matter what I guess???

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            Not sure about Plattsburg, but a PlattsburgH win would still be more then Utica has NCAA apperances......
                            Ummmmmmm.........if UC plays Plattsburgh this year, then, at best for you, they would be equal.
                            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              ... If it keeps doing what its doing, Bowdoin will be a virtual lock for a bye and home-ice, IMO.
                              If all goes as planned, there will be one Pool C from the West and 2 from the East. This leads to two opening round games in the West and one in the East. The East, barring somebody going 25-0, will be MASCAC / ECAC-NE with the winner playing Norwich the #1 Eastern seed. Everyone in the East, except the MASCAC/NE gets a bye to the NCAA Quarterfinals.

The West gets the graphite shaft.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                                Ummmmmmm.........if UC plays Plattsburgh this year, then, at best for you, they would be equal.
                                The Cardinal's would have 22 NCAA Post-Season appearances are you sure UC has 21?
                                Larry Normandin
                                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X