This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2012-13 Season

At least they won last night...biggie tonight !!
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Re-posting this from Facebook:

Brown Bears' Lazzaro commits to Utica College

http://peninsulaclarion.com/sports/2...-utica-college

This young man has had a very trying rookie season, what with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well... I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe.

Comment

5-3 win. I hope it's enough to hang on to the #8 ranking!!

Comment

Great game tonight. UC seems to have Hobart's number, now 7-0-1 in last 8 meetings. Therrien was the star (along with the goalposts) but what impressed me the most was UC answered all 3 Hobart goal with one of their own basically a minute later.

For those that follow the just for fun D3 Championship Belts, the Pioneers are playing for the Eastern Belt that Neumann currently holds on Friday night at the Aud. Let's take it!

Go UC!

Comment

Good game tonight (thought a little sloppy on both ends). Utica took advantage of the mistakes by Hobart and thats what won the game. By my count I think it was 2 breakaways and 2 rebounds and a slap shot off the post and in. While Therrien and the posts were strong for them. Hobart lost it by the bad plays and Utica tried to lose it through penalties. But Utica also responded when the Statesmen scored. Of the ECAC-W, no doubt these 2 will be the class (not at all impressed by Neumann or M-ville when I saw them though NU did beat Norwich) but they both must clean up their acts in order to make noise come NCAA time. Can't say on Utica end but I know a few key guys on Hobarts end werent healthy and playing which may or may not have been the difference but just a thought (Richard, Corcoran, and Hannah). Looking forward in 2 weeks when these 2 meet again to say the least.

Comment

(Jeez, where are all the usual Oswego/Plattsburgh trolls tonight..? Guess they must have all lost internet connectivity for the nonce, but no doubt they'll pounce on this thread again like so many little jackals the next time UC loses a game.)

Anyway, big road-win for Utica vs. what might be the best team in the East. The SOG were lopsided, but so were the man-up opportunities. (Hobart had >17 minutes of PP to UC's <8, if the box I read was accurate, and out-scored UC 2-1 during those times.) Nick must have played another great game.

The USCHO poll has been a little silly all year, and that's fine, since it doesn't count for anything... Nor does the KRACH matter, but it makes a heckuva lot more sense than the former, and they have UC at #2 right now, behind Bowdoin. (OK, so that doesn't make a lot of sense, either!)

I see Utica's home-loss to Elmira as being a bad one- and losing at Cortland was not much better -but it's really hard to make a reasonable argument against their SOS and win % putting them atop the D-3 heap next to Hobart at this point, all other statistical gymnastics aside.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-20-2013, 01:50 AM.

Comment

First you tell us to stay off the Utica thread when you lose......then you wonder where we are when you win! Nice win, hush and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                  First you tell us to stay off the Utica thread when you lose......then you wonder where we are when you win! Nice win, hush and enjoy it.
                  Thank you, thank you very much!
                  2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                  2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                  2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                  Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                  1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Late Onset Symptomology
                    Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909
                      Just waiting until Utica plays against some real teams, not just those eazyac-west sparring partners.
                      Not sure if you are joking or not, but they did beat Oswego twice and beat Amherst as well.

Looking forward to the ECAC West tournament. Would be nice to see EC play spoiler and upset Utica or Hobart.
                      2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
                        Not sure if you are joking or not, but they did beat Oswego twice and beat Amherst as well.

Looking forward to the ECAC West tournament. Would be nice to see EC play spoiler and upset Utica or Hobart.
                        A lot of teams have a hard time taking push-overs seriously, Plattsburgh often has a hard time with Cortland or Norwich & Nuemann for example, I suspect Oswego & Amherst fell into the same situation
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Pios drop to #9 in polls !

Comment

All kidding aside, the polls will be "interesting" this week. UC is 4-0 against top 10 ranked teams. Too lazy to look but I'd bet noone else is undefeated against Top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              The USCHO poll has been a little silly all year, and that's fine, since it doesn't count for anything... Nor does the KRACH matter, but it makes a heckuva lot more sense than the former, and they have UC at #2 right now, behind Bowdoin. (OK, so that doesn't make a lot of sense, either!)
                              I get it. Even though KRACH and the USCHO poll make no sense...Utica should be ranked No. 1 in either, or both! With losses to Neumann, Cortland and Elmira, if Utica was ranked No. 1, it would be a very strong argument for your above theory.
                              Mark it 8, Dude

Comment

• Originally posted by smbenny View Post

He was definitely joking (he generally is 90% of the time anyway lol).

In any case, good win by Utica. Not going to dispute that Utica is definitely a top-10 team, and should definitely be ranked ahead of Hobart. They are the best team in the Ecac-W right now.

That said, I'm not saying UC should jump to #1. I'm saying Hobart should fall. A lot. Hobart was very much overrated, they've now lost their only 2 games against top teams this year (UC and Oz). Wins over above-average Neumann, Manhattanville, and Genseo are nice, but they aren't quite "top teams" at this point, so the question begs: who has hobart beaten to earn that really high ranking? They're now 0-2 against top 10 teams.

So, while it's a great win for Utica, it's not quite as spectacular as it seems. Based on who won and who lost this week (not dropping a team that won all their games this weekend, because the voters tend to avoid doing that), I'd say drop Hobart to 10, and SNC to 3, behind NRW and BOW. Move the rest of the top 10 up a slot because of HOB dropping. The chances of that happening, however, is slim-to-none.

But if I had a vote myself, here's how I would vote:

1. Norwich
                                2. St. Norbert
                                3. Oswego
                                4. Bowdon
                                5. Eau-Claire
                                6. Utica
                                7. Plattburgh
                                8. Amherst
                                9. Adrian
                                10. Williams
                                11. Hobart
                                12. Manhattanville
                                13. UMass-Boston
                                14. Babson
                                15. Superior

Other than Geneseo, adrian is starting to fall int that "who have they beaten?" cateory. Bowdoin has some good wins, but I'm still not entirely sold on them... But for now I can't justify dropping them out of the top 5.

I see UC and UWEC as interchangeable at 5/6. Good season by the pioneers, I do hope they keep it going. It'd be fun to see Plattsburgh beat them in the NCAAs
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                                X