2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
    I agree why would you accept less than a full ride as a sophomore. Which is why I ask the question, did they offer 3 full rides? If so, then my statement is that I don't see many other schools offering 3 full rides to "quality players" as first semester sophomores (which of course exlcudes Ivies who can make offers but can't offer money or gaurantee admission).

And I mean no disrespect by calling them quality players (which is what someone else called them), I merely want to distinguish them from Team USA/Team Canada sophomores - or "top prospects".
    Well, since I am here at Northeastern I will go direct to the inner sanctum and see what I can get for an answer.

Comment

• Re: 2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
      I agree why would you accept less than a full ride as a sophomore. Which is why I ask the question, did they offer 3 full rides? If so, then my statement is that I don't see many other schools offering 3 full rides to "quality players" as first semester sophomores (which of course exlcudes Ivies who can make offers but can't offer money or gaurantee admission).

And I mean no disrespect by calling them quality players (which is what someone else called them), I merely want to distinguish them from Team USA/Team Canada sophomores - or "top prospects".
      I don't really know the CYA girls (I'm a Northeast guy). But I am very familiar with Bugalski. She's a strong, quick, solid goaltender, and definitely has a shot for the U18 National Team this summer-she is one of the top prospects for the 16's age group.

Comment

• Originally posted by kinger89 View Post
        I don't really know the CYA girls (I'm a Northeast guy). But I am very familiar with Bugalski. She's a strong, quick, solid goaltender, and definitely has a shot for the U18 National Team this summer-she is one of the top prospects for the 16's age group.
        Don't know if the birth years line up, but hard to imagine Katie Burt (BC elsewhere in this thread) not making the U18 team when she is eligible.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
          Don't know if the birth years line up, but hard to imagine Katie Burt (BC elsewhere in this thread) not making the U18 team when she is eligible.
          She could have been selected this past summer. There are other
          97's on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by North East DAD View Post
            She could have been selected this past summer. There are other
            97's on the roster.
            True - I personally don't usually think of someone more than 1 birth year removed from the oldest kids as being a likely candidate - but you are absolutely correct. But very ununusual for there to be more than 1 or 2 players earlier than the last 2 eligible years (95 was the oldest birth year for the current team). If she is a 97, then she will be most likely to be picked next year. Alway a lot of politics involved unfortunately and the Wizards don't have a lot of influence (but MA Hockey does).

Comment

True - I personally don't usually think of someone more than 1 birth year removed from the oldest kids as being a likely candidate - but you are absolutely correct. But very ununusual for there to be more than 1 or 2 players earlier than the last 2 eligible years (95 was the oldest birth year for the current team). If she is a 97, then she will be most likely to be picked next year. Alway a lot of politics involved unfortunately and the Wizards don't have a lot of influence (but MA Hockey does).
              Last years goalies (Sidney Peters and Alexis Shaw) are quite impressive, leaving a small chance for the 96 and 97 goalies.

Yes, lots of politics are involved but neither the CT Polar Bears nor the Wizards have a strong influence. It'll be interesting to see which of the two end up having the better shot. Both are very solid.

Comment

Originally posted by kinger89 View Post
                CYA Girls final U16 league stats (FWIW): http://hphl.stats.pointstreak.com/pl...&seasonid=9414

FWIW (small snapshot), Bugalski's national camp stats:
                Player No. Team GP W L T Min SH SV SV% GA GAA
                1 Sonjia Shelly 31 Gold 4 0 0 0 91 26 24 0.923 2 1.10
                2 Samantha Smith 1 Grey 4 0 0 0 90 36 34 0.944 2 1.11
                3 Kerri St. Denis 31 Grey 4 0 0 0 92 31 28 0.903 3 1.63
                4 Lauren Bench 31 Blue 4 0 0 0 92 34 31 0.912 3 1.63
                5 Selena Hunter 1 Green 4 0 0 0 92 43 39 0.907 4 2.17
                6 Kaitlin Burt 1 Black 4 0 0 0 89 45 41 0.911 4 2.25
                7 Maddie Rooney 1 Gold 4 0 0 0 92 27 22 0.815 5 2.72
                8 Brittany Bugalski 31 Red 4 0 0 0 92 52 46 0.885 6 3.26
                9 Kiana Verplancke 1 Blue 4 0 0 0 92 33 27 0.818 6 3.26
                10 Katharyn Snyder 31 Black 4 0 0 0 91 38 32 0.842 6 3.30
                11 Julia Chenowith 1 Red 4 0 0 0 90 37 31 0.838 6 3.33
                12 Kassi Abbott 31 Green 4 0 0 0 91 46 37 0.804 9 4.95
                Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

CYA Girls final U16 league stats (FWIW): http://hphl.stats.pointstreak.com/pl...&seasonid=9414

FWIW (small snapshot), Bugalski's national camp stats:
                  Player No. Team GP W L T Min SH SV SV% GA GAA
                  1 Sonjia Shelly 31 Gold 4 0 0 0 91 26 24 0.923 2 1.10
                  2 Samantha Smith 1 Grey 4 0 0 0 90 36 34 0.944 2 1.11
                  3 Kerri St. Denis 31 Grey 4 0 0 0 92 31 28 0.903 3 1.63
                  4 Lauren Bench 31 Blue 4 0 0 0 92 34 31 0.912 3 1.63
                  5 Selena Hunter 1 Green 4 0 0 0 92 43 39 0.907 4 2.17
                  6 Kaitlin Burt 1 Black 4 0 0 0 89 45 41 0.911 4 2.25
                  7 Maddie Rooney 1 Gold 4 0 0 0 92 27 22 0.815 5 2.72
                  8 Brittany Bugalski 31 Red 4 0 0 0 92 52 46 0.885 6 3.26
                  9 Kiana Verplancke 1 Blue 4 0 0 0 92 33 27 0.818 6 3.26
                  10 Katharyn Snyder 31 Black 4 0 0 0 91 38 32 0.842 6 3.30
                  11 Julia Chenowith 1 Red 4 0 0 0 90 37 31 0.838 6 3.33
                  12 Kassi Abbott 31 Green 4 0 0 0 91 46 37 0.804 9 4.95
                  League stats are interesting but really doesn't give a lot of insight. Some weak teams in that league (Compuware, Team Illinois for instance) and easy to pad stats against them (not saying they did, just saying its possible). Nat Camp stats for goalies are VERY small sample size (4 games) - if your defense gives up 1 or 2 tap in backdoor goals on penalty kills that can be the difference between being the number 1 and the number 12 goalie. Not even sure they are that indicative in the extremes. But it does represent what the evaluators saw during the camp to some extent, so that definitely matters.

Comment

League stats are interesting but really doesn't give a lot of insight. Some weak teams in that league (Compuware, Team Illinois for instance) and easy to pad stats against them (not saying they did, just saying its possible). Nat Camp stats for goalies are VERY small sample size (4 games) - if your defense gives up 1 or 2 tap in backdoor goals on penalty kills that can be the difference between being the number 1 and the number 12 goalie. Not even sure they are that indicative in the extremes. But it does represent what the evaluators saw during the camp to some extent, so that definitely matters.
                    Agreed. It is a very slight indicator. As Bugalski was ranked #1 her 14's year and Alexis Shaw was ranked 7th with 5 goals against this past year and made the U18 team. Although games show some sort of indication, the stats for goalies aren't very accurate with the goalies skill and performance throughout the camp with practices and goalie sessions.

Comment

For the record "FWIW" means "for what its worth"

And there are weak teams and weak players in every league incuding the PWHL, the JWHL and especially Minnesota High School hockey.
                      Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

For the record "FWIW" means "for what its worth"

And there are weak teams and weak players in every league incuding the PWHL, the JWHL and especially Minnesota High School hockey.
                        Sorry - didn't see the FWIW.

Completely correct - all leagues have their weak teams (also includes the NE Girls League, New England Prep School, MA High School, and others)

Comment

• Originally posted by kinger89 View Post
                          We see CYA a few times a year so I am not super familiar but - I do know that the forward (Crane)was a national development camp attendee and did well there - listed as a top scorer (although as covered here, just a few games). She has been a consistent top scorer in the league we play in - big and fast player. The other player Hartman seems solid too (also as said here - most people look at stats so hard to tell for defensive players). I can say CYA usually doesn't give up many goals so if that's any indicator - not a bad play either. ( I do not know if she she went to national camp - didn't see her name). CYA has several girls that appear to have made commitments.

The goalie - Bugalski is also well regarded so I guess I echo your other comments but we don't play her team so no real first hand knowledge.

Comment

Considered top prospects, and apparently a low pressure sales pitch vs high pressure from some other institutions was a big attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Norwood
                              What about the goalies coming out of Thayer Academy, a very weak program at the moment. One is a NDC and the other has a National Champ.
                              I was only looking at kids that have gone on to college already or seniors that have public commitments in reponse to the original post about prep school hockey not being challenging enough for Katie Burt at BBN (or something to that effect). There are many younger NE prep school goalies that have the potential to be fine college goalies but they haven't gotten there yet (at least not publicly).

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                                I was only looking at kids that have gone on to college already or seniors that have public commitments in reponse to the original post about prep school hockey not being challenging enough for Katie Burt at BBN (or something to that effect). There are many younger NE prep school goalies that have the potential to be fine college goalies but they haven't gotten there yet (at least not publicly).

it's funny how some parents are always the last to find out about websites with their kid's info plastered all over it.I have read a few of the entries and would like to clear up some mis-information about Katie. She didn't one day wake up and pick BC. She did a lot of research on the school, academics, coaches, players and hockey program. She has grown up watching BC sports her whole life. When she got word that BC was interested (from her BBN coach) she couldn't believe it. She has been to several sporting events at BC and fell in love with the whole package. She also saw how stressed her upper classmen teammates were filling out 10 college applications hoping that their first choice would work out knowing that it probably wouldn't. Her first choice has always been BC. What would a "better" school be? Havard? Princeton? Minnesota? We as a family hear that all the time. For some people those schools are perfect. For Katie BC is perfect.

I disagree with the poster that stated that she will not be challenged enough at BBN. Picking BBN was the best choice we or she has ever made. The academics are top notch. She saw over 800 shots from teams that are packed with D1 commitments. Heck, Nobles has 5 or 6 that are on or have been on the U18 team alone. I can't think a better place than the ISL and BBN for Katie.

I just wanted to put that out there

Comment

Working...
                                X