2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cali View Post
    I know of one recruit that "lost" her spot on UNH after Niagara folded.
    Funny, since I usually know of new commitments to UNH pretty quickly and all of those on the list for this season ended up on the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hux View Post
      Funny, since I usually know of new commitments to UNH pretty quickly and all of those on the list for this season ended up on the roster.
      Just going by information from people close to the situation. Not intended to slag the school but moreso to point out how fragile a Verbal can be. This player will do just fine
      ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

• Re: 2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Some coaches do ask their recruits to commit shortly after their visit on campus. I know your guy up there at UNH is notorious for giving a very short window to commit.
        Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
          Some coaches do ask their recruits to commit shortly after their visit on campus. I know your guy up there at UNH is notorious for giving a very short window to commit.
          I think that is actually true with most programs. As has been said many times, players are rated by the coaches and if one top rated player is dragging their feet then the coaches want to move on before they lose out on the next choice on their list.

Comment

Originally posted by hocper View Post
            Do you specific examples of this happening?? Names of players? Schools?
            Who has a reputation for this?
            I've heard of it happening more on the men's side but not women's!
            Let us know!
            I personally know of easily a dozen cases of this in recent years, though I'm sure there's many more. Do some research of schools you are considering. Though not foolproof, one way is to check the early lists of committed athletes and check against final freshman rosters. Talk to those athletes and find out why things changed. Talk to seniors or alums from the program to find out if they are aware of such things ever happening to recruits. You will find things change far more often at a few schools....that should be a big red flag.

Of course, you will find supporters of certain schools defending their coaches and saying it wasn't their fault....it was Admissions later that wouldn't give clearance, the admissions dean changed, the athlete changed their mind, grades dropped, didn't get scores, yada yada. The bottom line is that if the coach knew their might be an issue later with a "higher power" in the process later, they either shouldn't be making the commitment, or making sure they have upfront buy-in up the line.

Don't be dumb/naive enough to make a one-way commitment that will benefit no one but the coach.

Comment

[QUOTE=Trillium;5613750]I personally know of easily a dozen cases of this in recent years, though I'm sure there's many more. Do some research of schools you are considering. Though not foolproof, one way is to check the early lists of committed athletes and check against final freshman rosters. Talk to those athletes and find out why things changed. Talk to seniors or alums from the program to find out if they are aware of such things ever happening to recruits. You will find things change far more often at a few schools....that should be a big red flag.

Trillium - Thank you for your comments but can you please give me specific examples? (you know of at least a dozen!!), I'm doing my research and your knowledge of specifics could help along with others and this message board could help. If its common knowledge, let us know.

Comment

[QUOTE=hocper;5614012]
                Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                I personally know of easily a dozen cases of this in recent years, though I'm sure there's many more. Do some research of schools you are considering. Though not foolproof, one way is to check the early lists of committed athletes and check against final freshman rosters. Talk to those athletes and find out why things changed. Talk to seniors or alums from the program to find out if they are aware of such things ever happening to recruits. You will find things change far more often at a few schools....that should be a big red flag.

Trillium - Thank you for your comments but can you please give me specific examples? (you know of at least a dozen!!), I'm doing my research and your knowledge of specifics could help along with others and this message board could help. If its common knowledge, let us know.
                Check your rep

Comment

• [QUOTE=Trillium;5614039]
                  Originally posted by hocper View Post

Check your rep
                  Is that a website? Any other schools/programs beyond the previously mentioned that break verbal commitments?

Comment

Northeastern

Brittany Bugalski............G..............(CT Polar Bears/Loomis Chaffee)................Lake Worth, FL

Comment

[QUOTE=hocper;5614088]
                      Originally posted by Trillium View Post

Is that a website? Any other schools/programs beyond the previously mentioned that break verbal commitments?
                      LOL. Rep=your personal reputation score from other posters approving/disapproving of your posts. You can check who left you positive and negative reputation, and associated private messages by opening "settings" tab in top right corner of the page.

Comment

• Originally posted by kinger89 View Post
                        Northeastern

Brittany Bugalski............G..............(CT Polar Bears/Loomis Chaffee)................Lake Worth, FL
                        Three 1997 birth years for Northeastern. All seem to be quality players. Why so many at Northeastern compared to other schools?

Comment

Northeastern seems to offer the most for these girls.

Great location-right in the middle of Boston.
                          Great hockey.
                          Tremendous coaching staff-especially with the addition of Pellegrini this year.
                          Co-op Education for 5 years.
                          Wonderful group of talented players they have as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kinger89 View Post
                            Northeastern seems to offer the most for these girls.

Great location-right in the middle of Boston.
                            Great hockey.
                            Tremendous coaching staff-especially with the addition of Pellegrini this year.
                            Co-op Education for 5 years.
                            Wonderful group of talented players they have as well.
                            Yada yada yada, you left out one very important thing that Northeastern can offer to these girls - $$$$$. I assume the offer had to contain athletic money. The question is how much. Did Northeastern offer 3 "quality" sophomore recruits 3 full rides (of its 18 max)? If so, I suspect most scholarship schools don't commit 3 full scholarships to 1st semester sophomores even if they are "quality players".

Comment

• Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                              Yada yada yada, you left out one very important thing that Northeastern can offer to these girls - $$$$$. I assume the offer had to contain athletic money. The question is how much. Did Northeastern offer 3 "quality" sophomore recruits 3 full rides (of its 18 max)? If so, I suspect most scholarship schools don't commit 3 full scholarships to 1st semester sophomores even if they are "quality players".
                              Actually, I think the opposite is true. Why commit unless the whole enchilada is on the plate?

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                                Actually, I think the opposite is true. Why commit unless the whole enchilada is on the plate?
                                I agree why would you accept less than a full ride as a sophomore. Which is why I ask the question, did they offer 3 full rides? If so, then my statement is that I don't see many other schools offering 3 full rides to "quality players" as first semester sophomores (which of course exlcudes Ivies who can make offers but can't offer money or gaurantee admission).

And I mean no disrespect by calling them quality players (which is what someone else called them), I merely want to distinguish them from Team USA/Team Canada sophomores - or "top prospects".
                                Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X