Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
    I won't concede my point but I do hear you. I think it matters who you play for, with and against. Enough said. Your point about MN intrigues me though, because I have no idea why MN girls are so over-represented in the D1 ranks. Anyone have an answer to that one?
    My answer would be they are in fact not over-represented...but that's just me. Surprise!

Just imagine if someone asked why Canadians were over-represented. All Hell would break loose.
    Last edited by brookyone; 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Tncuse View Post
      If your theory is correct why do so many great players come out of MN. The level is not great. Yet they produce a ton of div 1 college hockey players.
      Several explanations, IMO.

1. Most, if not all, of the top MN players do play on AAA teams during the off season. There is also the MN Elite League in the fall, where most of the best 54 in the greater Twin Cities area, and beyond, are split into three teams. These teams play each other + Shattuck-St. Mary's, and other club teams come in during some of the weekends. There are also numerous training facilities and programs in the area that many of these players take advantage of. So, the point here is that these players are not limited to high school except for a little more than 3 months a year.

2. There is an advantage due to geography. There's a large concentration of girls playing hockey here in the greater Metro Area which allows them to spend more time playing and less time traveling. At least during the winter months, it's also a lot cheaper to participate.

3. I think often overlooked during the high school season is the chance for the better players to have the puck on their stick more. Think about someone of equal ability, but who plays on a much stronger team against much stronger competition. Yes, there are certain benefits but I think there is something to be said for developing one's stickhandling and shooting ability in real game situations. One obvious example is Hannah Brandt. Yes she's a very special player but I saw how she would experiment with some very unusual but creative moves that came from her being such a dominant player at the high school level. It has obviously transferred over quite well to D1.

4. I also think there is something a little special about playing for one's school, and how this can give a kid a little extra motivation.

Again, I am not claiming that high school is the right option for everybody, but at least around here you witness how high school can be used as a good foundation when used in combination with other programs during the off-season.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Several explanations, IMO.
        Makes sense and thanks for enlightening me. Are the top MN kids able to play other sports or do the off-season AAA and Elite Leagues get in the way?

Comment

Makes sense and thanks for enlightening me. Are the top MN kids able to play other sports or do the off-season AAA and Elite Leagues get in the way?
          Many will play at least one other sport. It seems the two most popular for female players, as far as numbers go, are soccer (fall) and lacrosse (spring). And yes there are conflicts between off season hockey and other school sports, which makes for a busy schedule and some tough choices.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I won't concede my point but I do hear you. I think it matters who you play for, with and against. Enough said. Your point about MN intrigues me though, because I have no idea why MN girls are so over-represented in the D1 ranks. Anyone have an answer to that one?
            It's because the ones going D1 are skilled, can skate and handle the puck better then other options for D1 coaches. Why else would it be?

Comment

Because its the state of hockey!!!!

]It's because the ones going D1 are skilled, can skate and handle the puck better then other options for D1 coaches. Why else would it be?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Tncuse View Post
                If your good your good. It doesn't matter where you play.
                But what makes you better? Good teammates and challenging teams to play with and against. Sorry but if you don't have people that push you, coaches, teammates,etc...often times you're just "good" not great!

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                  No, playing on the Wizards got her there. She runs the risk of not being challanged and plateauing in the Prep ranks.

When people say the above, they usally are behind a Team that wants your money I read the below from Mark Messier, it applys here too.

On the effectiveness of trying to fast-track kids into athletic success: "It's not going to matter one bit if these kids are (on that track) at 7, 8, 9 years old, in helping them turn into an NHL player. I've seen it a hundred times. But the people who control the ice, and the people selling this propaganda that 'this is what the kids need to do in order to become a professional hockey player,' are in it for the money. It’s a business for them, and they've managed to sell the Kool-Aid to the parents. It's horrifying to see."

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                    When people say the above, they usally are behind a Team that wants your money I read the below from Mark Messier, it applys here too.

On the effectiveness of trying to fast-track kids into athletic success: "....It’s a business for them, and they've managed to sell the Kool-Aid to the parents. It's horrifying to see."
                    and now a word from our sponsor...http://www.hockeymonkey.com/cascade-...11-custom.html

Comment

Some do, but that is not the motivation for his comment....travel club hockey (at the AAA level for the women) is better than the preps. For those ladies that aspire to play D1 and be a contributor on that team, you need the consistent hi-level competition, challenging practices, and constant development that travel club provides and these needs are best met from ages 12-19. The years before that should be focused on individual skill development and whatever team you want to play with...It's important that they acquire a love for the game at the early age. Let em have fun while learning.

Preps have their role, but the serious player will need additional with regards to hockey development.
                      Entitled to our piece of the pie!

Comment

Originally posted by Title_IX_Player View Post
                        Some do, but that is not the motivation for his comment....travel club hockey (at the AAA level for the women) is better than the preps. For those ladies that aspire to play D1 and be a contributor on that team, you need the consistent hi-level competition, challenging practices, and constant development that travel club provides and these needs are best met from ages 12-19. The years before that should be focused on individual skill development and whatever team you want to play with...It's important that they acquire a love for the game at the early age. Let em have fun while learning.

Preps have their role, but the serious player will need additional with regards to hockey development.
                        This is your .02. Let us look at the math. How many players come from MN high school or any other high school/ prep to D1 compared to the JWHL or Honeybaked ect.?

I understand this hard stuff to nail down, I for one think the MN approach is by far the best for several reasons (1. community based that proves to place players in D1 2. Costs 3. the ability to live at home). Every family will make their own decision that hopefully works for them. There are many ways to get to D1, the Club/ AAA teams want everyone to believe that their way is the only or best way. They cannot take a D1 bubble kid and guarantee that they will go D1, thus the kool aid sale.

A club/ AAA team plays from Sept to March and a HS/ Prep team plays from Nov to March. The players that go D1 still need to do stuff during the "off season" What if a player plays for NAHA and does nothing else vs a MN HS player that plays for her HS team, does the USA Hockey bull ****, plays in the Elite League and such. Which would be the better path than?

Comment

This is your .02. Let us look at the math. How many players come from MN high school or any other high school/ prep to D1 compared to the JWHL or Honeybaked ect.?

I understand this hard stuff to nail down, I for one think the MN approach is by far the best for several reasons (1. community based that proves to place players in D1 2. Costs 3. the ability to live at home). Every family will make their own decision that hopefully works for them. There are many ways to get to D1, the Club/ AAA teams want everyone to believe that their way is the only or best way. They cannot take a D1 bubble kid and guarantee that they will go D1, thus the kool aid sale.
                          The most defining statement here is that every family/player has to make the decision that hopefully works for them. For anyone, nothing is guaranteed and for the D1 bubble kid, they will have a better shot at D1 playing club/AAA than only playing HS/prep. Surprisingly, many club/AAA do live at home and even attend their own HS. Yes, club/AAA is expensive....again though, everyone has to make their own decision.

A club/ AAA team plays from Sept to March and a HS/ Prep team plays from Nov to March. The players that go D1 still need to do stuff during the "off season" What if a player plays for NAHA and does nothing else vs a MN HS player that plays for her HS team, does the USA Hockey bull ****, plays in the Elite League and such. Which would be the better path than?
                          No serious player that has their sights on D1 does nothing after their season. It's all about continuing development and the constant challenge. The club/AAA season provides better development during the regular season than HS/preps. The HS/preps created the fall Elite League to fill the gap in development...it's a great concept that you play with and against the best of the best. Winny picked up on this years ago that more would be needed for those girls that aspire to be contributers at the D1 level. In the end, it's still on the player to make the committment to get the most out of it.

As with everything, there are both strong and weak and good and bad AAA/club teams. Some are money grab and others have a strong history of development.
                          Same applies to HS/preps. In the end, it's still on the player to get the most out of it and more is needed beyond your regular season.
                          Entitled to our piece of the pie!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                            It's true that goalies take routes other than prep school to D1, but I'm totally baffled by this comment regarding preps (in concert with her club team) not challenging her...it seems the following recent prep school/club goalies (amongst others) have done OK:

Kerrin Sperry - Lawrence Academy/Assabet - U-18 National Team - Boston University Starter
                            Lauren Slebodnick - Cushing Academy/Wizards - Cornell University Starter
                            Sarah Bryant - Lawrenceville - Providence Starter
                            Shenae Lundberg - Deerfield/Wizards - Union College
                            Brianna Laing - Nobles/Assabet - U-18 National Team - Harvard (next season)
                            Victoria Hansen - Lawrence Academy/Spitfires - US Strelow National Camp - Boston University (next season)

Taylor Blake from Nobles/Spitfires on to BC is another one, but she did spend a year at NAHA as a PG (but I understand that she was considered good enough to play D1 straight out of Nobles). What am I missing?
                            Steph Ciampa at Mercyhurst too.....Tabor/Assabet then waited behind the other girl the Lakers had. For goalies at least there's no reason you can't do preps and then the offseason club stuff if you're good. There are plenty of examples of kids that did that skating too....Limited view of the national club picture for me but it seems like one of the great qualities of a program like Assabet is it lets you still play for your school team.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Player....................Position ...............(Current Team) .......................Hometown

(Based on reliable info, but to paraphrase Yogi, "It ain't official 'til it's official.")
                              * Denotes commitments are official, as announced by the school

Bemidji State

Boston College
                              Katie Burt .........................D ............................(East Coast Wizards) .....................Winthrop, MA

Boston University

Brown

Clarkson

Colgate

Connecticut

Cornell

Dartmouth

Harvard

Lindenwood

Maine

Mercyhurst

Minnesota

Minnesota State

New Hampshire

North Dakota

Northeastern
                              Morgan Crane ....................F ......................................(CYA) .......................................Winnetka, IL
                              Maddie Hartman .................D ......................................(CYA) .......................................Deer Park, IL

Ohio State
                              Mikalea Gardner .................D ................................(Chicago Fury) ...................................Plainfield, IL

Penn State
                              Daniela Paniccia .................G .................................(Oakville Ice) .....................................Oakville, ON

Princeton

Providence

Quinnipiac

Rochester

Robert Morris

Rensselaer

St. Cloud State

St. Lawrence

Syracuse

Union

Vermont

Wisconsin
                              Audrey Warner ...................F .................................(Ohio Flames) ...............................Cleveland, OH

Yale
                              Emma Vlasic ......................F ......................................(CYA) .......................................Wilmette, IL

U.S. 6: Illinois 4, Massachusetts, and Ohio 1 each

Canada 1: Ontario
                              Last edited by Hux; 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

New Hampshire

Taylor Wenczkowski ...................F ...................(Boston Shamrocks) ...................Rochester, NH

Comment

Working...
                                X