Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015-2016 Division I Commitments

Originally posted by North East DAD
    No, I was serious. There are a few out there, and others very close!
    So girls that are presently in Grade 8 are being asked to commit? (sp?)

That is incredibly ridiculous. They haven't even stepped inside a High School yet. Shame on the programs that are advancing that practice. Also, shame on the parents that are promoting it to their child as being the right time. Good grief!!
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post

That is incredibly ridiculous. They haven't even stepped inside a High School yet. Shame on the programs that are advancing that practice. Also, shame on the parents that are promoting it to their child as being the right time. Good grief!!
      I recall making a tongue in cheek comment last year about the prospective student athletes having their school choice on their hospital ankle band at birth. Maybe it's time to take my tongue from my cheek?
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
        Rochester
        It's "RIT". "Rochester" is a different school, which doesn't have varsity hockey.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post

I think that 2016-2017 commits would be a freshman now, but I totally agree that committing to a college as a freshman in high school is beyond ridiculous. That commitment could not be any more meaningless and the player is totally turning off all sorts of other potential opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            It's "RIT". "Rochester" is a different school, which doesn't have varsity hockey.

Powers &8^]
            Yeah, well Rennselaer is RPI so RIT will be fine as Rochester

Comment

I don't think it's fair to categorize the commitment of every kid at this age as beyond ridiculous. A mistake. To assume that for every student athlete, an early commitment means irrefutably that they're closing the door on better opportunities, or that the commitment is meaningless to the prospective student athlete. At least in a broad brushed...applies to all sort of way.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Northeastern
                Morgan Crane...................F................(CYA).... .....................Winnetka, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                  I don't think it's fair to categorize the commitment of every kid at this age as beyond ridiculous. A mistake. To assume that for every student athlete, an early commitment means irrefutably that they're closing the door on better opportunities, or that the commitment is meaningless to the prospective student athlete. At least in a broad brushed...applies to all sort of way.
                  I'll stand behind my comment - B-E-Y-O-N-D R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S!!! How many HS freshman know what they want in a college (academic, social, environment), coach, and hockey experience and don't have that change over the 2-3 years before they have to formally commit? How many reasons are there that a college would drop a HS freshman recruit before they graduate - coach change, player doesn't develop, injury, better player comes along, academic issues, etc.? The big $ sports (football, men's basketball, etc.) have freshman commits and the commit/decommit percentages are appalling. The commitment means virtually nothing to either the player or the school. Any high school freshman that is good enough that a school would want them to commit will have MANY MANY opportunities. Committing at this age is ALL about ego - and usually it is the ego of the parents, not the kid.
                  Last edited by HockeyEast33; 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    I'll stand behind my comment - B-E-Y-O-N-D R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S!!! How many HS freshman know what they want in a college (academic, social, environment), coach, and hockey experience and don't have that change over the 2-3 years before they have to formally commit? How many reasons are there that a college would drop a HS freshman recruit before they graduate - coach change, player doesn't develop, injury, better player comes along, academic issues, etc.? The big $ sports (football, men's basketball, etc.) have freshman commits and the commit/decommit percentages are appalling. The commitment means virtually nothing to either the player or the school. Any high school freshman that is good enough that a school would want them to commit will have MANY MANY opportunities. Committing at this age is ALL about ego - and usually it is the ego of the parents, not the kid.
                    Well said. I agree 100%
                    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                      Amen!

Comment

Always be careful of painting with too broad of a brush. When I was 14, I had given exactly zero thought to going to college at all, let alone where, but young people today are far more mature and have a much wider world view. If there is some girl out there that already knows exactly what she wants to do with her life, I have no right to tell her that she has to wait a couple of years to make decisions. You may think it is ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that you are correct and she is wrong. Even if she is wrong, it is her life and she should be able to make mistakes and learn from them.

To those announcing college decisions, I wish you well. There will always be people that know nothing about your specific situation but feel that they understand it better than you do, so just consider the source.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          Always be careful of painting with too broad of a brush. When I was 14, I had given exactly zero thought to going to college at all, let alone where, but young people today are far more mature and have a much wider world view. If there is some girl out there that already knows exactly what she wants to do with her life, I have no right to tell her that she has to wait a couple of years to make decisions. You may think it is ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that you are correct and she is wrong. Even if she is wrong, it is her life and she should be able to make mistakes and learn from them.

To those announcing college decisions, I wish you well. There will always be people that know nothing about your specific situation but feel that they understand it better than you do, so just consider the source.
                          One more (and final!) time - committing to a college as a high school freshman - BEYOND RIDICULOUS.

Comment

Some people don't understand that kids in the Chicago area all grow up dreaming to go to Northeastern

Quote from Coach McCloskey's blog:

"So let’s take a minute to think about the challenges facing young talented women in our increasingly competitive sport of women’s ice hockey. First up is the undeniable fact that with each passing year, we’re asking coaches and players to make decisions earlier. I say coaches because despite what most parents and athletes think, not every talented player is a good fit for every program. The earlier we ask players to make their decisions the less likely we are to give the process the thought it really demands and deserves. Determining how well you’re suited for one program versus another requires something that’s in short supply these days: patience."
                            Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                              The earlier we ask players to make their decisions the less likely we are to give the process the thought it really demands and deserves.
                              If the question becomes should the programs be recruiting people this young, then I agree with you. However, I will continue to defend the student athletes' rights to decide when they are ready to make a choice -- not you, not me, or anyone else who doesn't know them.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

If the question becomes should the programs be recruiting people this young, then I agree with you. However, I will continue to defend the student athletes' rights to decide when they are ready to make a choice -- not you, not me, or anyone else who doesn't know them.
                                I guess under this theory that it would potentially be fine for 14 year olds to drink, drive, and do drugs because "they are ready to make a choice".....

Comment

Working...
                                X