Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Thank you. Can't wait to try it out.
    Definetly make sure you let the steaks come up to room temp before cooking. I've gotten too excited before and not let tham do that and ended up with cold centers (thankfully that was with cheaper cuts and I havent done that with the better ones). I too will be doing this on Wednesday night for my own personally thanksgiving meal. Still havent decided on sides yet. Considering a loaded baked potato or rustic style smashed redskins (with skin still on) with green onion and sourcream and garlic. Some kind of vegetable probably and bread. And some whiskey.

Comment

Anyone know how many min/lb for a fresh from the farm turkey that is brined at home in a convection oven? This convection oven thing is like learning how to drive again!

Comment

Did my personal thanksgiving tonight. Had a nice ribeye (cooked in a cast iron pan) and threw some mushrooms in there too. My steak was quite thick so it took a few more minutes per side and I even threw it under the broiler for a minute with a little gorgonzola on it. I love the earthy taste of gorgonzola or blue cheese with a good steak. Steak turned out darn near perfect at medium rare. Sides were smashed redskin potatoes with garlic and green onions, broccoli and bread. Nothing to special but still nice to have something I dont get very often. Paried it with a few fingers of The Dalmore - 12 year old.

Shirtless, I'm curious to hear how your steaks turned out in the cast iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
          Did my personal thanksgiving tonight. Had a nice ribeye (cooked in a cast iron pan) and threw some mushrooms in there too. My steak was quite thick so it took a few more minutes per side and I even threw it under the broiler for a minute with a little gorgonzola on it. I love the earthy taste of gorgonzola or blue cheese with a good steak. Steak turned out darn near perfect at medium rare. Sides were smashed redskin potatoes with garlic and green onions, broccoli and bread. Nothing to special but still nice to have something I dont get very often. Paried it with a few fingers of The Dalmore - 12 year old.

Shirtless, I'm curious to hear how your steaks turned out in the cast iron.
          I cooked my steaks in bacon fat and they turned out a lovely medium rare. I should have steak more often.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Too much food
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Too much food
              What did you end up serving?
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

What did you end up serving?
                Brined a Turkey, 2 kinds of Sausage stuffing(one paleo,one not), Turnip, Squash, mashed Taters, Giblet gravy, peas, Blue Cheese and celery, cream cheese and celery, olives, pickles, pecan pie, Apple pie, Pumpkin pie, chocolate cream pie, gingerbread, beer, hard cider. I did the Pumpkin pie, roasted pumpkin last night, made a crust with Almond and coconut flours(paleo) all other pies by guests or the the wife, friends brought homemade yeast rolls also. I did everything else. It came out well, everything came out on time.

Normally have 15 or 16 folks here, today was only 9. fun time but alot of work that started last night and again at 7am for a 2 o'clock meal time.
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

We did it pretty traditional:

Turkey
                  Stuffing
                  Mashed potatoes
                  Turnip
                  Butternut squash
                  Creamed onions
                  Carrots
                  Gravy

Wine
                  Beer

Apple Pie
                  Pumpkin Pie

Edit: And cranberry sauce of course!
                  Last edited by ericredaxe; 11-22-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Brined a Turkey, 2 kinds of Sausage stuffing(one paleo,one not), Turnip, Squash, mashed Taters, Giblet gravy, peas, Blue Cheese and celery, cream cheese and celery, olives, pickles, pecan pie, Apple pie, Pumpkin pie, chocolate cream pie, gingerbread, beer, hard cider. I did the Pumpkin pie, roasted pumpkin last night, made a crust with Almond and coconut flours(paleo) all other pies by guests or the the wife, friends brought homemade yeast rolls also. I did everything else. It came out well, everything came out on time.

Normally have 15 or 16 folks here, today was only 9. fun time but alot of work that started last night and again at 7am for a 2 o'clock meal time.
                    Wow. Well done, good sir.

As for Christmas, I'm keeping my options open. I'm thinking of:

-Pizza and beer
                    -Roasted chicken with roasted root vegetables
                    -Chuck roast with onions, potatoes, and carrots
                    -Ham with sweet potatoes
                    -Two slabs of bacon... who needs bread, lettuce, and tomatoes?

Comment

Just spaghetti for thanksgiving here. No venison this time around.

Comment

Brie w/ peach salsa and crackers (not baked, just room temp)

Turkey
                        Dressing
                        Mashed Potatoes
                        Hubbard Squash
                        Candied Sweet Potatoes
                        "Ghetto" Beans (my family's jokey nickname for green bean casserole)
                        Pretzel Jello (raspberry flavor)
                        Cranberry Sauce
                        Gravy

Pumpkin Pie
                        Pecan Pie

Iced Tea
                        Coffee
                        Sprite
                        Chardonnay
                        Cabernet
                        Woodford Reserve
                        Port

10 for dinner. I don't think we've had this big of a crowd for Thanksgiving since I was a kid, when my late grandmother would host 15+.

Comment

Wow. Well done, good sir.

As for Christmas, I'm keeping my options open. I'm thinking of:

-Pizza and beer
                          -Roasted chicken with roasted root vegetables
                          -Chuck roast with onions, potatoes, and carrots
                          -Ham with sweet potatoes
                          -Two slabs of bacon... who needs bread, lettuce, and tomatoes?
                          I was thinking about Christmas dinner recently myself. I have been in charge of it at my parents the past few years. We have kind of started a tradition of doing seafood. Last year it was a salmon chowder for starters and then a shrimp and pasta dish. The year before I think we did grouper. This year I am thinking of doing the chowder again (my brother enjoyed it so much he asked for the recipie and he is NOT the kind of person to cook at all really...especially something that needs a recipie) and I am thinking some kind of shrimp and lobster mac and cheese bake or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                            I was thinking about Christmas dinner recently myself. I have been in charge of it at my parents the past few years. We have kind of started a tradition of doing seafood. Last year it was a salmon chowder for starters and then a shrimp and pasta dish. The year before I think we did grouper. This year I am thinking of doing the chowder again (my brother enjoyed it so much he asked for the recipie and he is NOT the kind of person to cook at all really...especially something that needs a recipie) and I am thinking some kind of shrimp and lobster mac and cheese bake or something like that.
                            I'm thinking of doing a beef wellington for Christmas...

Comment

Christmas cookies made so far: cranberry-cherry pinwheels, cranberry orange, cherry oatmeal, chocolate peppermint pinwheels, butter rum butterscotch pecan, and peanut butter maple. Still making eggnog thumbprints and candy canes in this round. Chocolate raspberry thumbprints, brandy snaps, cranberry pecan bark, and dark chocolate buttercrunch a little later.

Peanut butter maple may be my most favorite cookie ever. Holy cow. It's even better than I thought it would be.

Comment

Grilled up some venison last night.

Marinated it in a marinade I made up of melted butter, bourbon, worcestershire sauce, garlic, brown suger, salt, and pepper. Ended up marinating them too long, since I didn't grill them up as soon as I had planned, so they have a strong marinated flavor, but at least the marinade tasted good. I wrapped them in bacon, then grilled them to a medium. I sauteed up some mushrooms and onions, with salt and pepper and just a hint of raspberry balsamic vinegar, and smothered the steaks in that. Then I sprinkled some gorgonzola crumbles over the top. I had carrots in a cheesy cream sauce as a side. Turned out really good, especially the steaks with the onions and mushrooms.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X