Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Also, I loved the Brickley - McCarthy - Fallon line Friday. Not sure why Sneddon switched that around Saturday.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Recruiting update:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...nclick_check=1

Comment

PC dominated the 2nd half of first period Friday and most of the 3rd period Saturday, balance of play was pretty even. Saturdays W was a gift from Gillies with two very soft goals. Otherwise that is a 0-0 tie. Although soft goals evened out for the weekend.

Markison and Reynolds absences noticeable. Need them both in the lineup. Not getting enough offensive zone time, lack of cycling IMHO. Do like what the D is doing to keep opportunities to the outside though. And like what I see in Walls so far.

Nick Bruneteau is underrated, he could have a real nice couple of years ahead.

I like the physicality of the team. I like what Fallon brings, and Polesello is fun to watch. We are a Stalberg or Girgensons short of being pretty good - or a breakout year from someone else (McCarthy, Brickley or Reynolds). Will have great difficulty with the best teams such as BC, BU and UNH. Should be able to play with everyone else.

I look for a battle to secure one of the last playoff spots with Maine, Umass, NU and UML.

Like the newest recruit. We need a new arena.

Go Cats

Comment

Great to see the Cats NOT lose control in the 2nd period when the refs(actually only the short round one)
          lost the ability to see black. Last year they would have given up a goal or two getting frustrated and losing
          focus but instead they played some of the best mandown we have seen in years.

Dealing with adversity has not been a strength the last 2 years so of all the things we saw this weekend that
          gives me the most hope...just ahead of the play of our freshman goalie.

Really like Fallon to bad we dont get him for 4 years, Walls is also playing very well for a freshman.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

• Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
            PC dominated the 2nd half of first period Friday and most of the 3rd period Saturday, balance of play was pretty even. Saturdays W was a gift from Gillies with two very soft goals. Otherwise that is a 0-0 tie. Although soft goals evened out for the weekend.

Markison and Reynolds absences noticeable. Need them both in the lineup. Not getting enough offensive zone time, lack of cycling IMHO. Do like what the D is doing to keep opportunities to the outside though. And like what I see in Walls so far.

I like the physicality of the team. I like what Fallon brings, and Polesello is fun to watch. We are a Stalberg or Girgensons short of being pretty good - or a breakout year from someone else (McCarthy, Brickley or Reynolds). Will have great difficulty with the best teams such as BC, BU and UNH. Should be able to play with everyone else.

I look for a battle to secure one of the last playoff spots with Maine, Umass, NU and UML.

Go Cats
            I look for the offense to come alive. PC and Mack play different then the get up and go like the other teams. It seems Sneddon also was doing everything he could to just get the first win so the guys could feel it. Remember Brickley & Luukko haven't played in 9 months, McCarthy a year and this isn't riding a bike.

5 games, in every game, unlike last year where games were over early. Very young and will improve. Don't know why Sneddon would breakup McCarthy, Fallon, Brickley. Lets have a go to line.

Love the defense. Strong smart, go with the puck. Also Hoffman can really play the puck. Should be a different game on the big sheet on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post

Go Cats
              I am hearing Markison could be done for the year.

Comment

Markison being done for the year would be rough to take. It was an injury in a pre-game skate. how does that translate to season ending injury? I hope that info is incorrect. They need him, fastest Cat on the ice in my opinion

Comment

At least he would be able to red shirt the season as it happened early enough.
                  New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

we don't need redshirt opportunities, we had that last year with McCarthy; we need our best players on the ice, wins and points.

I like that effort and attitude of this team. PST. But they need every talented body, and Markison is a top three forward on this team. We lost two of our top guys last year to injury and then arguably our projected top two to pros for this season, thats enough pain

Comment

I just read Ted Ryans article on bench depth and am appauled by Sneddons comments and airing of team issues in the press. Maybe you guys dont see it as a big deal but I do. After coaching for over 30 years I know these rules when dealing with the press:

1.) If your comments are not positive on an individual player, dont make them. Its a team game.
                      2.) The only negative comments that should ever be made are about the team as a whole or about yourself.
                      3.) Anything else is better left unsaid in the press and should be preserved for INDIVIDUAL discussions with your players.
                      4.) NHL Scouts make big mistakes all the time. Especially in Rounds 2-7.

It is clear where are the rumblings of lack of communication with Sneddon come from after reading this article. "Benching Kyle said alot to the team without saying anything", "Kyles in a rut" , "you dont cheat the game", are all comments better left unsaid. This kind of communication only leads to resentment, lack of confidence, abandonment of team systems to prove indivisual worth, and all the other things we saw last year. It is clear that Sneddon holds "forwards 9-16" to different standards vs the "bricks" (his words not mine) of the world or other players in his protected umbrella. Keep in mind we are playing guys in our top 6 that couldn't make other line-ups.
                      He even admits to the fact that certain kids are held to different standards and expecations. When you dont apply standards consistently accross the team regardless of your affection for that player, it becomes clear that there is a lack value or understand placed on team dynamics. Was Paliotta benched because he made an aweful turnover against Lowell? No and I dont think he should have but if that is your standard for riding the pine then he absolutely should have.

Sneddon has a 186-254 and 65 career record as a Head Coach and is 2-23 in his last 25. Trying to pound these kids into his system or "style" of play has clearly not been the answer. Stating that 9-16 are "interchangeable" is ridiculous at best. I have watched this kids play enough to know that 1-16 are not separated by much other than the coaches bubble. This explains why the PP and PK have been so aweful in his tenure here. A complete lack of creativity for fear of retaliation. When skilled kids are afraid to make a mistake, the creativity and productivity go out the window.

Sorry dont mean to be so harsh but I couldnt believe what I read.

Skill wins games not systems or "style"...just ask Boston College. Kyle Reynolds has more skill than most and thats all we needed to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                        I just read Ted Ryans article on bench depth and am appauled by Sneddons comments and airing of team issues in the press. Maybe you guys dont see it as a big deal but I do. After coaching for over 30 years I know these rules when dealing with the press:

1.) If your comments are not positive on an individual player, dont make them. Its a team game.
                        2.) The only negative comments that should ever be made are about the team as a whole or about yourself.
                        3.) Anything else is better left unsaid in the press and should be preserved for INDIVIDUAL discussions with your players.

It is clear where are the rumblings of lack of communication with Sneddon come from after reading this article. "Benching Kyle said alot to the team without saying anything", "Kyles in a rut" , "you dont cheat the game", are all comments better left unsaid. This kind of communication only leads to resentment, lack of confidence, abandonment of team systems to prove indivisual worth, and all the other things we saw last year. It is clear that Sneddon holds "forwards 9-16" to different standards vs the "bricks" (his words not mine) of the world or other players in his protected umbrella. Keep in mind we are playing guys in our top 6 that couldn't make other line-ups.
                        He even admits to the fact that certain kids are held to different standards and expecations. When you dont apply standards consistently accross the team regardless of your affection for that player, it becomes clear that there is a lack value or understand placed on team dynamics. Was Paliotta benched because he made an aweful turnover against Lowell? No and I dont think he should have but if that is your standard for riding the pine then he absolutely should have.

Sneddon has a 186-254 and 65 career record as a Head Coach and is 2-23 in his last 25. Trying to pound these kids into his system or "style" of play has clearly not been the answer. Stating that 9-16 are "interchangeable" is ridiculous at best. I have watched this kids play enough to know that 1-16 are not separated by much other than the coaches bubble. This explains why the PP and PK have been so aweful in his tenure here. A complete lack of creativity for fear of retaliation. When skilled kids are afraid to make a mistake, the creativity and productivity go out the window.

Skill wins games not systems or "style"...just ask Boston College. Kyle Reynolds has more skill than most and thats all we needed to know.
                        I think you are cherry picking quotes which are negative. Overall, Sneddon had some very complimentary comments about Reynolds.

In response to questions about Reynolds’ absence, Sneddon said, “Kyle Reynolds can be a fantastic player. I really believe in him. He’s just in a little bit of a rut right now and when you’re in a rut, the way to get out of it is to play hard. Don’t cheat the game. The details have to be good, the scoring will come later."

“He’s putting a lot of pressure on himself right now because he’s not scoring but it’s snowballing on him a little right now on the other end,” Sneddon said of UVM’s leading returning scorer. “He’ll be there. He’s a great player, he’s a great young man and he’ll find a way. We’re hoping it happens this week for him."

And it's clear that he is relying on Reynolds to be a key part of this team. I don't think there is anything he said to TRyan that he hasn't said to Reynolds or the team. Coaches look at motivating each player differently. I'd expect that Reynolds needs that vocal challenge, while others need a quieter approach. But net/net, Sneddon's comments about Reynold were positive.

And the comments about forwards 9 to 16 relate to depth. They do not relate to Kyle Reynolds as he is not among that group (in my opinion and from the what I read in Sneddon's comments). It's great to have depth from the end of the third line through the fifth line. We haven't had that for a long time. I'm not sure if the talent level is as high as we might all like it.

For what it's it's worth, your rant reminded me a lot of the Justin Milo stuff here from a couple of years ago (was that Justin posting or his Dad?). So I almost called you Mr. Reynolds.

Comment

• Originally posted by catmandoo View Post

He didn't air anything negative. He was honest as he could have been. Reynolds has struggled this year, he will be fine but he is pressing. Anyone who has seen all the games as I have can see that. So what is Sneddon to say, we took Kyle out of the lineup to give guys time? Nobody would have bought that. He was as diplomatic and then positive as he can be in response to that question. And honestly I think it's a he is being coy saying forwards 9-16 are interchangeable. Really 5-16 are interchangeable.

What he did last weekend is get a win. Lets see what happens tonight. 4 of our top 7 defense are freshman or sophomore. Starting goalie is freshman. Two of top forwards are coming back from serious injury. Lots of youth up front.

I will say this, the trap is garbage. Hate that we don't force tempo. Also, anyone notice, unless their is injury, lines never shuffle during game and bench doesn't shorten? Just an observation.

cats 3-1 winners tonite (just not sure which Cat)

Comment

Originally posted by UVMer in VT View Post
                            I think you are cherry picking quotes which are negative. Overall, Sneddon had some very complimentary comments about Reynolds.

In response to questions about Reynolds’ absence, Sneddon said, “Kyle Reynolds can be a fantastic player. I really believe in him. He’s just in a little bit of a rut right now and when you’re in a rut, the way to get out of it is to play hard. Don’t cheat the game. The details have to be good, the scoring will come later."

“He’s putting a lot of pressure on himself right now because he’s not scoring but it’s snowballing on him a little right now on the other end,” Sneddon said of UVM’s leading returning scorer. “He’ll be there. He’s a great player, he’s a great young man and he’ll find a way. We’re hoping it happens this week for him."

And it's clear that he is relying on Reynolds to be a key part of this team. I don't think there is anything he said to TRyan that he hasn't said to Reynolds or the team. Coaches look at motivating each player differently. I'd expect that Reynolds needs that vocal challenge, while others need a quieter approach. But net/net, Sneddon's comments about Reynold were positive.

And the comments about forwards 9 to 16 relate to depth. They do not relate to Kyle Reynolds as he is not among that group (in my opinion and from the what I read in Sneddon's comments). It's great to have depth from the end of the third line through the fifth line. We haven't had that for a long time. I'm not sure if the talent level is as high as we might all like it.

For what it's it's worth, your rant reminded me a lot of the Justin Milo stuff here from a couple of years ago (was that Justin posting or his Dad?). So I almost called you Mr. Reynolds.
                            No Im not Mr. Milo. Dont even know the guy and really dont know what youre talking about.. I just felt the interview was way to much "look at me Im smart I benched kyle reynolds and we won"...again It just hit me wrong. Never the less. GO Cats!

Comment

3-0 UNH. UNH has dominated play. Reynolds is a healthy scratch yet again. We are without 2 top-6 forwards (Markison and Reynolds) and it really shows.

Comment

UNH wins 4-0. The team really struggled on the large ice surface at the Whittemore Center. Hoping the effort improves at home next weekend against BU and Northeastern.

Comment

Working...
                                X