Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
    Sucks Girgensons didn't follow through. We have no snipers or game changers, so it'd be interesting to see where we finish.
    Yeah, that does suck, especially when you look at Kevin Roy who's already got 2 goals in as many games for NU, and was not as highly regarded as Girgensons.

Regarding the new rink, there do seem to be some positives, and it may be closer than I thought. I'd guess the start of construction is 4-5 years down the road.

Comment

Closer, BUT, I did speak a few months back with someone directly involved with this, and their comment at that time was they needed to raise a certain amount or percentage (can't remember) toward the arena BEFORE officially announcing an active fundraising campaign. I was also told they believed they would have that amount by early fall. So while the good news could be "closer", I do not believe they have raised the amount needed to project a build date....

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
        I was at the game and it was a great college hockey game. I thought defensively both teams limited Grade A opportunities. Our goal was scored on what should have been one of Carr's easier saves. Carr looked like he expected pass. Hoffman was good, didn't give alot of rebounds, plays the puck are fires outlet passes. The power play was much better, it will be good. On the point they need a QB who get get a shot to the net and make good decisions. You could see alot of good in it. I think once they work out a few minor details it will be better. There was really only one time where the PP was completely disengaged. Lowell did not play poorly at all.

UVM is much deeper at the forward postition this year. Montagna, B Brunneteau and Decenzo were healthy scratches. Lenz/Roos/Mountain is a colid checking line, and can get some offense. Brickley/Markinson/White solid, Brickely was strong all night, Markinson is all over and covers alot of ice, hey they scored the goal. McCarthy/Falloon/Reynolds very good, McCarthy had tons of shots, Falloon and him seem to click, Reynolds was disappointing he was weakest forward all night. Massar/Pollesello/Turk were very solid as well. I would like to see Pollesello with more offensive people, but I don't know where. It is going to be hard to get ice time for people, which is a GREAT problem.

On defense, overall, except for one gaffe, they were really solid. Gave up alot of shots but they were from the outside. Walls had a few nice bombs for shots. Again, very solid and deep.

PK was good, love the combo's and the commitment.

Hey, after equal games we are looking down at BC. (It's just a joke)

The Power Play was not good at all. I didnt see anything that got me hopeful. 2 shots on a 5-3??? Its time to throw out the whole bunch and lets some other guys give it a try. They have had 2 years to show what they can do and it aint working.

Comment

It is my understanding that there is a major donor and that has been in the works from at least this past summer. My guess, we will actually hear something soon. Still need to raise the additional money though, but his could be the spark for a 6500 seat arena. I was at Lowell last Friday, which is about that size venue. The stands weren't packed but there was a sizeable and enthusiatic crowd. It is a great rink. Serving beer+ there is a plus as well as many food choices.

As far as the game goes, I continue to have great optimism for this team. I wished they had shot more like in the scrimmage, but they shot more than past years. If it wasn't for the slip up we might have had a "W". Contrary to another fan, I think our goal was a great goal. It had Carr not knowing what was going to happen and unlike in the past when we would have passed it and never got the shot off, he placed a great shot at the inside of the right post.

I'm impressed with Hoffman, just hope his playing the puck doesn't come around and bite him. He is poised and exudes confidence. He is a keeper, pun intended.

I see a lot of promise for the new kids and see a lot more resolve with the upperclassmen. This is not a last place team. Time will tell, but I'm very optimistic.

On a side note, I have four reserve seats for the 11/3 game vs. Providence up for sale (will be at a wedding in CT that weekend - you'd think they would have checked the hockey schedule first).

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
            I was at Lowell last Friday, which is about that size venue. The stands weren't packed but there was a sizeable and enthusiatic crowd. It is a great rink. Serving beer+ there is a plus as well as many food choices.
            Lowell has done a tremendous amount of updates to the arena - over the past couple of years the progress has been eye-popping. The Crux for UML/Tsongas Center: Catering to students, alumni and folks within the community. Really nice to hear that you think its a great rink.

While I am on the UVM thread, looks like this team is alot better then I originally thought - especially in net; looks like you have a standout Freshmen between the pipes. Brickley and Reynolds are studs, and there seems to be other forwards that have talent (sorry can’t remember their names).

I see a solid year for UVM. Good luck the rest of the way.
            "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
            make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              This is one of my semi-annual (or more frequent) bit#@ sessions about UVM's inability to fund/build a new arena for hockey and basketball. USCHO is reporting that Nebraska-Omaha hopes to have a new on-campus rink by 2015 or 2016. It will be funded through "private donations or partnerships."

This is frustrating to no end because UVM has been talking about a new rink for about twice as many years as UNO has had a D-1 hockey program. Again, why they heck can't we get our act together when everyone else seems able to do it? Do we not have any wealthy alums that like hockey or basketball? The following is from an April 14, 2012 article in the BFP:

"Chris McCabe, UVM assistant vice president of marketing and business development, said there’s been progress in plans to build a new arena at UVM."

“We are a lot closer than we were a year ago,” McCabe said. “Because we are talking about it so publicly should be an indication of how close we are getting. We are not making any announcements this weekend, but I think you can bet to see some progress reports in the coming months.”

I've been hearing these kinds of statements for years. It's been more than 6 months since McCabe said the above. Where the heck are those progress reports that we would see in the coming months? He said it's being talked about so publicly???? Seems more like radio silence to me.

Okay, assuming there was a betting line in Las Vegas for this, and the over/under was 7 years for UVM having a new rink, how would you bet? Unfortunately, I'd have to go with the over.
              WCAX just did a story on this today

http://www.wca*****/story/19844428/uvm-planning-for-arena

I'm glad to see they're planning on spending more than $60M. I was worried when they eventually did something it would be generic and be out-of-date before it even opened. Notre Dame's new rink cost $50M and looks great so it sounds like they want to do something nice.

Still, I'd take the over if the line was set at 7 years. We've heard it all before.

Comment

Originally posted by Catatonic View Post
                WCAX just did a story on this today

http://www.wca*****/story/19844428/u...ning-for-arena

I'm glad to see they're planning on spending more than $60M. I was worried when they eventually did something it would be generic and be out-of-date before it even opened. Notre Dame's new rink cost $50M and looks great so it sounds like they want to do something nice.

Still, I'd take the over if the line was set at 7 years. We've heard it all before.
                The reader comments for that WCAX story are revealing and indicative of why this hasn't happened yet. People that aren't into athletics look at the cost and say "Is a new athletic facility something that we really need?" Then, despite the fact that the story clearly states it will be funded through "private philanthropy," you have two people piping in to say "Oh, the cost of tuition is going to go up." Idiots!

Comment

In other news, some new commitments for the coming years.

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com...to-uvm-hockey/

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com...m-mens-hockey/

Comment

Glad to see some press on the arena. We need it bad, will help the local economy, there is no venue in the entire state for a decent concert, the state is a backwater

Let's go Cats

Comment

Hockey East Journal: UVM's Hoffman makes dynamite debut

By Andrew Merritt

LOWELL, Mass. – Speaking with a group of reporters after his team pulled out a 1-1 tie with UMass-Lowell, Vermont coach Kevin Sneddon got a bit of a jolt Friday night, Oct. 12, when the postgame fireworks show inside the Tsongas Center ended with an earthshaking bang.

The veteran coach’s eyes went wide as he and the reporters all jumped at the sound of the finale.

Fortunately for Sneddon, his freshman goaltender that night was anything but jumpy.

After Rob Madore’s sluggish senior year, Vermont also saw his backup, Alex Vazzano, transfer to Sacred Heart for his final two years of eligibility, meaning things had gone from bad to worse in net for the Catamounts.

Yet after the season opener, it turns out UVM may not have so much to worry about. Freshman Brody Hoffman was outstanding in his collegiate debut, stopping 38 of 39 UMass-Lowell shots as the Catamounts used a late Colin Markison goal to pull into a tie with the River Hawks.

Although Hoffman, 21, is an older freshman who played three years of junior hockey before coming to Burlington, he nevertheless showed poise beyond his years, holding off just about everything UML, a 2012 NCAA Tournament team, could throw at him.

“He’s got a great mentality to be a goaltender, nothing rattles him,” Sneddon said. “If he has a bad practice, it’s ‘oh well, get ‘em tomorrow.’ In that position, that’s everything, the mental toughness, the ability to let go of the goal that gets by you.”

Hoffman’s counterpart at the other end of the ice took notice of his auspicious debut, too.

“As a freshman, it’s never easy to really start off strong,” UMass-Lowell junior Doug Carr (Hanover, Mass.) said. “It’s a tough league, it’s a tough jump from juniors to Hockey East. I thought he played pretty well.”

Carr knows a thing or two about how hard it is to be a freshman goaltender in Hockey East. As a rookie in 2010-11, Carr struggled to a 3.63 goals against average and .896 save percentage as the River Hawks went 5-25-4, missing the league playoffs.

“Everything’s quicker, guys are quicker, the puck moves quicker, shots are quicker, and with that comes controlling the puck,” Carr said about making the leap from juniors to Hockey East. “Rebounds are really magnified, if you leave a bad one, it’ll probably end up in the back of the net.”

Of course, as a sophomore, Carr was one of the brightest lights in all of college hockey, and in Hockey East was surpassed only by Boston College’s Parker Milner. After he mastered the learning curve, Carr established himself as one of the preeminent talents in the league.

If the admittedly tiny sample size of one game is any indication, Hoffman might be skipping that whole learning curve business.

Comment

Tough game for the old Vermont coaches last night, had BC down 3-0 after 2 periods and gave up 4 in the third at home....yikes!!
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

A pair at MC this weekend after a long off week. At 1-3-0 MC looks beatable, especially after dropping two in Alaska. If this UVM team will compete in HE and prove the preseason naysayers wrong they will need to put up some points the next two weekends.

While the 1-1 tie against Lowell was a nice surprise to start the season the Cats offense is going to need to step up and give Hoffman some cushion. Unfortunately the games are at MC which has always been unkind. Hopefully with a week off the team has had a chance to gel a little and they can pull out an upset sweep on the weekend.
                          Originally posted by Hokydad
                          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            A pair at MC this weekend after a long off week. At 1-3-0 MC looks beatable, especially after dropping two in Alaska. If this UVM team will compete in HE and prove the preseason naysayers wrong they will need to put up some points the next two weekends.

While the 1-1 tie against Lowell was a nice surprise to start the season the Cats offense is going to need to step up and give Hoffman some cushion. Unfortunately the games are at MC which has always been unkind. Hopefully with a week off the team has had a chance to gel a little and they can pull out an upset sweep on the weekend.
                            Cats should definitely have a chance to get some points this weekend and it'll be interesting to see how the team comes out after 2 weeks of practice. One thing that concerns me a little -- I wish Merrimack had been able to take one of the games in Alaska, as I feel they're going to come out fired up after losing two. Than again, maybe they're just not very good. If so, the Cats should be able to beat them regardless of their attitude and energy level. I agree, an upset sweep would be great but, frankly, I'd be happy to leave with a split.

Comment

I wish the Cats were going to Alfond this weekend instead.

I like the attitude of this Cats team though so far. If they bring a feisty physical game regularly that will get them some points and make them fun to watch.

A split would be fine, they would be nearly 50% to last years HE point total in 3 games.

Go Cats. And the path back to respect.

Comment

Merrimack has struggled mightily on the PP, giving up a few shorties and not converting. PK was weak in Alaska, as well. UVM fans should look for Myers to be a presence. Besides his scoring clip, he can really motor and make things happen. Collins was held scoreless first two games, but scored twice in Alaska. Heywood had a few rough games, as did whole defense, but he and Ellis are the stalwarts. Look for Marotta to definitely start Friday and possibly Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X