Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Actually, there are very few new players. They are young but not a lot of turnover at all except in net, one, maybe two freshman D will play and a couple of the new forwards will play - Fallon, Turk, maybe Polesello. Rosenthal is probably too raw....

Comment

Catamount hockey in 2 days !!
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        Catamount hockey in 2 days !!
        Finally! It's been a long and eventful (mostly negative) off-season, with the departure of Sneddon's coaching staff (and the hiring of a new staff), the Girgensons decision to turn pro, and our brief and ineffective attempt to woe the Roy brothers. I'm looking for improvement this season, and I suppose a seventh or eighth place finish in HE would do the trick for me. Secretly though (or, I guess, not so secretly now that I'm saying this) I'm hoping for a magical season where we can contend for a home ice playoff spot or better. I truly believe, especially in a non-professional sport, it's less about talent and more about team. For example, last time we went to the Frozen Four, we had Viktor Stalberg, a hot goalie, and a bunch of not-highly-recruited players who knew their roles and were able to execute them to perfection. Even in professional sports talent, while beneficial, isn't always the only key to success. For example, look at this year's Oakland A's. Who would have thought such a rag-tag group of kids and older baseball misfits could have put together the kind of season they've had? I think if we play hard and put forth a true team effort, we should be capable of surprising some people with the talent we have.

I'm also interested in seeing Ted Ryan's season preview in the BFP tomorrow, where he says "the team’s leadership is instilling a new, pride-based approach to the challenges facing the Catamounts in the 2012-13 season." I think I know what he's saying, but it will be nice to hear some details.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
          For example, last time we went to the Frozen Four, we had Viktor Stalberg, a hot goalie, and a bunch of not-highly-recruited players who knew their roles and were able to execute them to perfection.
          Of note with Stalberg, he went from a mediocre sophmore season to a hobey baker candidate Junior year. Who will take that step this year? Brickely? McCarthy? Reynolds? There are a few guys on this team that can come out and have great years that will make a huge difference in the season the same way Stalberg did.
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

yes, I say this team has enough talent to be competitive with anyone if they hard, PLAY LIKE A TEAM, have decent goaltending, and develop some confidence. A heavy road schedule early is a concern though in terms of developing confidence. But you never know, as UML showed last year.

This first exhibition game is usually pretty telling of how the year is going to play out. I have observed over the years that if they lose this game they usually follow with a bad season, if they play well and win with relative ease they are usually pretty good, and if they are so/so then the season is usually similar. I guess winning easily is probably out of the question so I am hoping for so/so.

Last year they looked AWFUL in this game and I posted afterward in a fit of frustration that they were going to stink all year and that there would be little in the way of lines to exit the parking lot. Unfortunately that played out to be accurate. Interestingly, last year I believe they had the first game later in October and they had more time to practice with coaching prior to it, which is what frustrated me with the seeming disarray they were in on the ice. This year the game is a bit earlier.

Go Cats.

Comment

Polesello, Turk, and Massar were incredibly impressive. The way they dominated the ice was unexpected.
              Walls looked solid on D. Fallon seems to have good hands and good game awareness, although may not be the strongest skater.
              The goalies might not have looked as comfortable as I would have liked, but were probably fighting the butterflies. Ultimately they got the job done.
              All-in-all, it sure beats getting stomped by the U-18 team like the did they first game a couple years back.

Comment

I really like how Hoffman played the puck! Let's see if he can continue to play the puck smartly against a stronger team. Overall very pleased witrh the effort and the skill.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

I was optimistic going into the season despite all the press and low ranking. I feel even more so after tonight ONLY IF they continue to shoot and hustle. I've been waiting for a team to shoot and look for rebounds. Tonight showed what happens when you do that. I wish our goaltenders had been challenged more - they look promising but without being challenged it was hard to tell. I'm optimistic here too though. Not that Concordia is any true test, but I hope it gives the team confidence that they can score and defend. UMASS Lowell next Friday will tell me what this team is made of. Hopefully it will be the team we saw tonight. Keep up the hard work for 60 minutes and constantly shoot and we'll show those that voted us last in the league.

Comment

Really impressive rookie outing for Polesello. That must not be his regular game or he would have put up much bigger numbers last year and BU would not have pushed him back a year and risked losing him. He had the puck a lot and just had some nasty moves. Clearly our best player last night IMHO. Fallon looked solid also, and looks like he is going to be a go to guy for the coaching staff.

Pleasantly surprised by Massar. Figured given low production at Clarkson that he is just taking up space but he made a case last night to keep that line together.

Did not see as much from Turk, which is interesting because I expected him to be the leading frosh. Of course one game is too small a sample size.

Nice to see McCarthy back on the ice. Brickley looked like the same Brickley - good in spurts, physical, aggressive, but is he going to become dominant at some point?

Nick Bruneteau looked good last night, he is clearly going to be PP QB.

Everyone looked pretty good except Griem. He had a rough night turning the puck over and I would not expect Walls to start on Friday.

They were physical and showed good team speed - of course recognizing that the competition was not up to D1 standards. But the last few years they might have still tied or lost a game against weak competition. despite the loss of Stalburg and Mackenzie I think this team is a little bit deeper and more solid.

This outing did nothing to indicate to me that if they bring their best effort and play like a team they can be competitive and finish ahead of several other teams this season.

Comment

I agree. Very impressive first outing. Some of the veteran players looked rusty but I was most impressed with the strides of a few of the sophmore D. Luukko looked a little rattled and rusty but was able to get a goal but the other two looked really good. The new forwards are very exiting to watch and I though Kyle Mountain looked like a competely different player. I am pumped as we dominated a team we should have dominated unlike the past couple of years. Hard to tell if any improvements have been made on PK and PP as the first 3 PP's were aweful even with thier d sagging like a wet sock.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                        I agree. Very impressive first outing. Some of the veteran players looked rusty but I was most impressed with the strides of a few of the sophmore D. Luukko looked a little rattled and rusty but was able to get a goal but the other two looked really good. The new forwards are very exiting to watch and I though Kyle Mountain looked like a competely different player. I am pumped as we dominated a team we should have dominated unlike the past couple of years. Hard to tell if any improvements have been made on PK and PP as the first 3 PP's were aweful even with thier d sagging like a wet sock.
                        To be fair Saturday was the first day the coaches had full access to practice with the team, so you cant judge at special teams just yet.

And you probably cant expect a polished product on find combos and hopefully a good PP unit.
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I watched the 2nd period of Saturday's game on streaming video. From what I could see, the Cats were dominating in terms of puck possession and shots on goal. Hard to tell whether it was a result of the Cats playing really well or Concordia not being a very good team. I suspect it was a combination of the two. Hope the Cats can bring the same kind of energy against Lowell and that the new players aren't intimidated by the hostile environment and the fact that they're playing a highly-regarded team. I'm thinking Brody Hoffman will get the start in goal. Don't see why we can't be very competitive and have a good shot to win this game.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                            Really impressive rookie outing for Polesello. That must not be his regular game or he would have put up much bigger numbers last year and BU would not have pushed him back a year and risked losing him. He had the puck a lot and just had some nasty moves. Clearly our best player last night IMHO. Fallon looked solid also, and looks like he is going to be a go to guy for the coaching staff.

Pleasantly surprised by Massar. Figured given low production at Clarkson that he is just taking up space but he made a case last night to keep that line together.

Did not see as much from Turk, which is interesting because I expected him to be the leading frosh. Of course one game is too small a sample size.

Nice to see McCarthy back on the ice. Brickley looked like the same Brickley - good in spurts, physical, aggressive, but is he going to become dominant at some point?

Nick Bruneteau looked good last night, he is clearly going to be PP QB.

Everyone looked pretty good except Griem. He had a rough night turning the puck over and I would not expect Walls to start on Friday.

They were physical and showed good team speed - of course recognizing that the competition was not up to D1 standards. But the last few years they might have still tied or lost a game against weak competition. despite the loss of Stalburg and Mackenzie I think this team is a little bit deeper and more solid.

This outing did nothing to indicate to me that if they bring their best effort and play like a team they can be competitive and finish ahead of several other teams this season.
                            Did Kyle Reynolds play? Hoping he continues his level of play from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                              Did Kyle Reynolds play? Hoping he continues his level of play from last year.
                              He did play. If I remember correctly he was paired with Fallon and McCarthy. I recall him throwing a couple wrist shots high or just wide.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                                My understanding is that Polesello lost his ride at BU due to an 'off ice incident' here in Indy last spring. My sources may be wrong but that was the scuttlebutt around the rink.

He's always had great game but was on a line that was missing an ingredient until early March when Boo Nieves was brought in. When Nieves, Polesello and Robbie Baillargeon hooked up, they were awesome.

I'd expect the kind of play he showed in the Exhibition game, on a regular basis.
                                Indiana's a basketball state ! Why am I here ??

Comment

Working...
                                X