Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    I believe Snwbrdr's post (based on having actually read it) related to the team's "chemistry" in having Brickley and Markison back. Sure they're both very good players, and we'd be foolish not to welcome them back with open arms, but I've also wondered how it might affect the team's chemistry, perhaps not in a good way. The fact is, there may be a little period of adjustment for the team when they return. Don't be so dismissive of that idea.
    I agree in that simply bringing Brickley back and throwing him on the top line may not be a good idea. That line is doing some really good things. But I don't know about putting them on the 4th line either...

Frankly, this late in the season I'd be kind of surprised if Brickley and/or Markison don't end up redshirting the season.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

The First line is playing so well together right now so leave it alone.

The last 3 lines have been a mix of 12 players (Montagna,Turk,Roos,Mountain,Rosenthal,B Bruneteau,DeCenzo,Masser,Alberson,Lenz,White & Polecello)

Lenz,White,Polecello,Bruneteau and DeCenzo are must plays right now if and when those 2 return we will see a huge battle for the last 2 spots between the remaining 7 players. Gotta love how hard people work when they know so many are waiting to take their place.

I wonder if anyone is practicing at D just in case?
      Last edited by Cat lover; 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM.
      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
        The First line is playing so well together right now so leave it alone.

The last 3 lines have been a mix of 12 players (Montagna,Turk,Roos,Mountain,Rosenthal,B Bruneteau,DeCenzo,Masser,Alberson,Lenz,White & Polecello)

Lenz,White,Polecello,Bruneteau and DeCenzo are must plays right now if and when those 2 return we will see a huge battle for the last 2 spots between the remaining 7 players. Gotta love how hard people work when they know so many are waiting to take their place.

I wonder if anyone is practicing at D just in case?
        Bottomline, the TEAM FIRST ATTITUDE is driving the success of the team. No line or player should feel comfortable or entitled. As players are added back to the mix, the compete level should only increase.

Comment

if Brick and Markison came back at the same time (unlikely) you might play them together with someone from the fourth line. they might become the 2nd line, but the point was lets not disrupt our chemistry on the other lines that are having success right now

And they also might be well served in a fourth line role until they get their conditioning and skills back. Brick never really got back to 100% last year after being injured and not sure the same thing is not going to happen this year.....

Comment

Long time no talk, everyone! When are Markison and Brickley due to come back anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
              Long time no talk, everyone! When are Markison and Brickley due to come back anyway?
              Not sure, but it could be any time now. People, including Ted Ryan, were saying "next year" and that they were currently rehabbing. Well, it's next year now, so I'm thinking it should be soon. Tomorrow maybe.....

Comment

Not a good outing at all. The offense was less then stellar and the defense was awful.

Something needs to change on the power play. While it is annoying as hell to listen to surrounding fans yell "SHOOT" everytime a Cat gets the puck despite there being no open lanes, it is telling of the underlying problem... namely the power play is ineffective at getting the opposing PK moving and creating openings. The set up they have does not work with the skills of the team and its up to the coaches to adjust. Right now, it's just pathetic to watch. A power play goal on the 5 on 3 and it's a different game all together. It was a lost opportunity and definitely shifted a lot of momentum to MC.

That said, what a terribly officiated game. It was somewhat even for both teams but still terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
                  I should have been listening closer, but I thought they said one of those two would be back soon ... but didn't give a date (ie, next weekend?).

Lowell's had a crap season so far, but they're coming up to UVM next weekend on a 5-game winning streak (albeit against some bad teams). I know there's 17 games left in HE play for Lowell, but this is a huge weekend for Lowell. I'm assuming students will be back on campus next week? That stadium was deathly quiet last night.
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

On the bright side the women's program seems to have turned a corner and is headed in the right direction.

http://www.uscho.com/2013/01/03/verm...-under-plumer/

Comment

HEA blog predicting a UML sweep. That usually is a blessing in disguise. Let's hope so after last weekends debacle against the Mack.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                        HEA blog predicting a UML sweep. That usually is a blessing in disguise. Let's hope so after last weekends debacle against the Mack.
                        71 hits in firy period. Coach: blah blah blah. You lost again. At home. Period. The slide starts again.

Comment

Brickley looked good physically but didnt play smart mentally. Markison looked to be playing on bad wheels, fell down alot and didnt look to be anywhere near his normal speed.

If not for the goal I would say they hurt us more than helped.

Powerplay has got to stop being so predictable.....we cut the lead to 1 get a PP and start that same 2 man game on Mccarthy's side which is so easy to defend.

Will someone tell our Dmen they can step up once in a while....down a goal on the PP under 4 to go and the D lets them get a 2 on 1 shorthanded because they dont
                          try to make a play. Sure early in the game play smart but in that spot you got to try to keep the puck in the zone.

Thought we were the better team by far 5 on 5 as most of Lowells shots were long point shots that Hoffman had no trouble with, they play smarter and dont commit so
                          many hitting penalties they can win tonight.
                          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Food for thought--something I posted in the UML/UVM game thread:

Congratulations, you guys deserved it and "should" have won both games. In fact, I think I'll add every other team in HE to the list of teams that "should" beat us, except maybe Northeastern and Maine. While, I do believe UVM has some talented players, they weren't prepared to "win" coming into this weekend. They won't be able to beat anyone with undisciplined play, defensive breakdowns, poor penalty kill, and allowing occasional soft goals. While Hoffman can be a good goalie, I think for right now at least, he needs to rotate with someone. Apparently Faust is not ready for prime-time and can't fill that role. So for right now, we have to live with Hoffman having some off nights. Overall, you have to put the responsibility for UVM's poor performance on the coaching staff, and Sneddon in particular as head coach. I've been down on Sneddon in recent years, and if they miss the playoffs again this season, I'll most certainly be calling for his head. In fact, at this point, I'm kind of feeling that the only things that are going to turn this program around are either a new coach or a new rink. Don't see either of those happening any time soon, so for now I'll have to be content with mediocrity, or worse. Although you won't need it, good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                              Food for thought--something I posted in the UML/UVM game thread:

Congratulations, you guys deserved it and "should" have won both games. In fact, I think I'll add every other team in HE to the list of teams that "should" beat us, except maybe Northeastern and Maine. While, I do believe UVM has some talented players, they weren't prepared to "win" coming into this weekend. They won't be able to beat anyone with undisciplined play, defensive breakdowns, poor penalty kill, and allowing occasional soft goals. While Hoffman can be a good goalie, I think for right now at least, he needs to rotate with someone. Apparently Faust is not ready for prime-time and can't fill that role. So for right now, we have to live with Hoffman having some off nights. Overall, you have to put the responsibility for UVM's poor performance on the coaching staff, and Sneddon in particular as head coach. I've been down on Sneddon in recent years, and if they miss the playoffs again this season, I'll most certainly be calling for his head. In fact, at this point, I'm kind of feeling that the only things that are going to turn this program around are either a new coach or a new rink. Don't see either of those happening any time soon, so for now I'll have to be content with mediocrity, or worse. Although you won't need it, good luck the rest of the way.
                              From what I saw and see...

Power play is terrible, always has been. In the past we dealt with that with an unstoppable PK, however I dont see the guys blocking shots like Strong et al did. As a result our special teams are special...just not the way we want them. I hoped with the PST motto that would change but I don't see it. I will pin those on the coach. Especially as a defensmen he should know how to run a power play and penalty kill. Those are our weak points and that is on Sneddon.

I have also said from the start Hoffman is not a D-1 starting goaltender. He has some great games, but too many soft goals. The upside is he is huge and from what I can tell he has very poor positioning and rebound control. The positioning he can develop. But with his size right now short angle goals should have no chance, and yet we see several a game. He can over come that. If not, I think we have a decent recruit coming in.

Finally, I do think the Cats were severly hurt by the officiating this weekend. If there was big hit there was call, regardless of legality. I have missed the days when Sifers would lay people out mid ice and make guys pay. Walls has shown he can be that type of player, but with the Jokers that were reffing this weekend that wasn't going to happen. Same for Brickely, Fridays charging call that set up the power play goal was as bogus as they come. A big hit does not mean necessarily indicate there was a penalty.

Offensively we are weak, and I don't see that being rectified in the recruiting class. This team needs to get al ot more serious about defense. I tend to be a Sneddon supporter, but if we can't get some points against UMA, NU, ME and we miss the playoffs again I too will be calling for his head. It's bad enough to pay for season tickets and watch the GA tickets get sold for less, its too much when the team just isn't playing good hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                From what I saw and see...

Power play is terrible, always has been. In the past we dealt with that with an unstoppable PK, however I dont see the guys blocking shots like Strong et al did. As a result our special teams are special...just not the way we want them. I hoped with the PST motto that would change but I don't see it. I will pin those on the coach. Especially as a defensmen he should know how to run a power play and penalty kill. Those are our weak points and that is on Sneddon.

I have also said from the start Hoffman is not a D-1 starting goaltender. He has some great games, but too many soft goals. The upside is he is huge and from what I can tell he has very poor positioning and rebound control. The positioning he can develop. But with his size right now short angle goals should have no chance, and yet we see several a game. He can over come that. If not, I think we have a decent recruit coming in.

Finally, I do think the Cats were severly hurt by the officiating this weekend. If there was big hit there was call, regardless of legality. I have missed the days when Sifers would lay people out mid ice and make guys pay. Walls has shown he can be that type of player, but with the Jokers that were reffing this weekend that wasn't going to happen. Same for Brickely, Fridays charging call that set up the power play goal was as bogus as they come. A big hit does not mean necessarily indicate there was a penalty.

Offensively we are weak, and I don't see that being rectified in the recruiting class. This team needs to get al ot more serious about defense. I tend to be a Sneddon supporter, but if we can't get some points against UMA, NU, ME and we miss the playoffs again I too will be calling for his head. It's bad enough to pay for season tickets and watch the GA tickets get sold for less, its too much when the team just isn't playing good hockey.
                                About this past weekend. One team got better. One team didnt.

Comment

Working...
                                X