Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    That's true, but I was thinking of UNH, BU and the first Minnesota game. They weren't competitive in any of those games. That said, I see them playing well against Union and maybe coming away with a win.
    Very solid effort tonight by the Cats ... good win against a quality opponent ...

Comment

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
      Doubt he will give Hoff a run for his money. Kid seems like a viable 3rd. Faust had better numbers and he is planted on the bench.
      I'm going to disagree.

Faust went 23-25-0 in 51 games with a 2.86 goals against average, .913 save percentage
      compared to :
      Santaguida has a 12-5-1 record with a 2.31 goals against average and a .932 save percentage.
      compared to :
      Hoffman goals against average (1.90), and save percentage (.929)

The kid is much closer to Hoffman's numbers then Faust and will play a much different style then Hoffman. Time will tell, but I do think he will give Hoffman some competition and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some type of rotation depending on how this season ends up.
      Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
      Great team win. Solid game, 2-0-1 last three. it is a start
      Definitely great to see the Cats pick up a win against a ranked team and show that they can compete. I think this team is gaining some momentum and confidence. A win against Princeton should be continue that momentum and hopefully play out into the second half. The next few games will prove crucial to this season.

What will be interesting to see is if Brickely and/or Markison make a return to the ice soon. I have to think that if we don't see them soon they will be looking for redshirts. The way the team is playing of late, they would be a nice boost to finish out the season though.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Another nice win for the Cats. You know, it's beginning to look like this team could amount to something -- very exciting! They pretty much dominated after going down 3-1. So many times in the past, that would have been game over.

And I love Jacob Fallon! I can't think of a first-year player who's had a bigger impact for the Cats since Torrey Mitchell's freshman year.

Comment

Team is 4-1-2 in last 7 games. That is really nice to see. We get Markinson an Brickley back we are onto something special I think. I know BC didn't play like BC against Minnesota but heck we lost 3-1 with an EN to Minny and since then are trending up, maybe we can play with the big dogs now. Finally got snow in Burlington maybe some normalcy is returning.

On the game, I love Fallon and McCarthy together. They seem to play great together. Nice to see McCarthy seemingly back from injury. 16pts in 18games is nice, plus he always makes the right play. Fallon is doing great in the d zone plus he has a good hockey IQ that seems to work when he and McCarthy play together. Reynolds is starting to look very comfy with them to. His numbers are rising. They always great players make the players around them better and that's what McCarthy is doing now and that's why I think he's back which is great for UVM

Comment

Nice to be able to see the games on TV, as I live in NH. Also, was great to hear George doing Cats games again, as he is one of the very best play-by-play guys.

The two win weekend looked good. Hopefully will build some confidence in their ability to bury the puck.
            Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

We saw a very ****ed of team after going down 3-1 to a team they were outplaying and they then played one
              of the most dominating periods in years. Nice to see so many players finishing plays and the back checking
              was amazing all weekend, the forwards were harassing PU players from behind on rushes constantly.

Best seat in the house last night goes to Ref Keenan. I swear Shea called every penalty in that game anf keenan
              just stood around and watched both coaches get mad at his partner.

i would have to congradulate the coaching staff who seem to have gotten as much from this group as anyone
              could expect after a terrible summer of defections and early season injuries. The players seem to have bought
              into what they are selling.
              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

The most impressive thing to me about this weekend was the comeback over PU. So so so many times in the past that would have been the end of the game, and yet UVM did battle back and won the game handily. That's just a huge turn around from what we have been accustomed to and hopefully really sets in mentally for the Cats, they should now realize that they can come back when down and win the game. That coupled with a win over ranked Union should give them a lot of confidence heading into the stretch.

Next up MC which the Cats should have a good handle on after watching them play two games at the Gutt. Hopefully the Cats don't get too over confident after watching MC against these two teams. With the Mack just behind in the standings its an important game.
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                  We saw a very ****ed of team after going down 3-1 to a team they were outplaying and they then played one
                  of the most dominating periods in years. Nice to see so many players finishing plays and the back checking
                  was amazing all weekend, the forwards were harassing PU players from behind on rushes constantly.

Best seat in the house last night goes to Ref Keenan. I swear Shea called every penalty in that game anf keenan
                  just stood around and watched both coaches get mad at his partner.

i would have to congradulate the coaching staff who seem to have gotten as much from this group as anyone
                  could expect after a terrible summer of defections and early season injuries. The players seem to have bought
                  into what they are selling.
                  I agree. Great weekend for the team. Hopefully it will be a boost going into a tough stretch of games here. Nice crowds this weekend too all things considered.

Comment

Well I have been pretty tough on Sneddon this year but it actually looks like this could be the 2nd or so team under his 10 years to actually improve during the season and not get worse. Things are looking much better. Not sure what the change is but I do think the assistant coaches are a definite improvement over the last few years.

Comment

Vermont this year is 6-2-4 vs teams not in the current top10 and 0-6 versus those that are.

A month ago I would have thought we had no chance versus the big 3 but I am starting to think
                      this team if it continues to improve could beat anybody, not saying we will but i have alot more
                      hope now even without Brickley and Montagna.

B.Bruneteau on the top of the powerplay should get more chances, we need some lefty point men
                      as none of our Dmen on the powerplay are lefty and we lose to much speed passing when they have
                      to constantly switch the puck to thier forehands.

Comment

Vermont is now #27(out of 59) in the RPI.

We have moved into the top half for the first time in several years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                          Vermont is now #27(out of 59) in the RPI.

We have moved into the top half for the first time in several years.
                          Next 6 games are very important. Less than 8pts in those games isn't good enough. In the HE games need 6 of the possible 10.

Comment

I have not seen a game in a while but sounds like they are really playing like a TEAM finally. I missed the holiday tournament (playing in the new snow) but people who I have talked to said they have been fun to watch - which is nice to hear for a change. Nice to see some scoring for a change also. 17 goals in four games? Let's keep that up!

Now if they could get Brick and Markison back they would be even a little greater threat on offense, although you almost hate to mess with the chemistry. Stick them on the 4th line, that would be a good fourth line with whomever they put them with.

go Cats, I'm almost excited to see a game soon.

Comment

• Wow, any coach that puts brick or mark on the 4th line without top minutes should lose their job. You obviously have not watched the team change from a soft zone coverage position team to an aggressive forechecking that is the sweet spot for both these players and many other team members. [QeUOTE=snwbrdr;5586571]I have not seen a game in a while but sounds like they are really playing like a TEAM finally. I missed the holiday tournament (playing in the new snow) but people who I have talked to said they have been fun to watch - which is nice to hear for a change. Nice to see some scoring for a change also. 17 goals in four games? Let's keep that up!

Now if they could get Brick and Markison back they would be even a little greater threat on offense, although you almost hate to mess with the chemistry. Stick them on the 4th line, that would be a good fourth line with whomever they put them with.

go Cats, I'm almost excited to see a game soon.[/QUOTE]
                              Last edited by Lords tamely; 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lords tamely View Post
                                Wow, any coach that puts brick or mark on the 4th line without top minutes should lose their job. You obviously have not watched the team change from a soft zone coverage position team to an aggressive forechecking that is the sweet spot for both these players and many other team members.
                                I believe Snwbrdr's post (based on having actually read it) related to the team's "chemistry" in having Brickley and Markison back. Sure they're both very good players, and we'd be foolish not to welcome them back with open arms, but I've also wondered how it might affect the team's chemistry, perhaps not in a good way. The fact is, there may be a little period of adjustment for the team when they return. Don't be so dismissive of that idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X