• Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

I mistyped-should be 6 games.

Comment

Originally posted by bogi View Post
      I mistyped-should be 6 games.
      The good thing is we have a bunch of home games the second half of the season, including 4 of those 6 killer games at the end of the season. It may seem like a brutal stretch, but look at it this way: if we can simply take care of business at home, and merely split on the road, well that's 9 points. I don't know about you, but I'll take 9 points!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        The good thing is we have a bunch of home games the second half of the season, including 4 of those 6 killer games at the end of the season. It may seem like a brutal stretch, but look at it this way: if we can simply take care of business at home, and merely split on the road, well that's 9 points. I don't know about you, but I'll take 9 points!
        ? I'm not sure what you mean here, presumable two sweeps at home and a split on the road which would be 10 points. Rest assured this team will not sweep BC and UNH. That would be nice, but it really isn't practical. At best 6 points, and that is being extremely optimistic.

That said, sitting in 5th place after going 1-1-1 with the 4th place team is nice to see, even if the other teams have games in hand. With a little momentum and some success in the Holiday tourney the Cats very well could come out and go on a tear. MC, 2X UML and 2X UMA. Theres are winnable games and necessary games if they want to position themselves in the post season. BC,BU,UNH are clearly the class of the field, but a PC-UVM match up in the playoffs would be very very nice surprise this season. 6th-7th and 8th place are not going to be good spots to be in this year.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

You're right, 10 points. Temporary brain lapse.....

Comment

Nice to see some wins and a few points but also need to keep things in perspective. They benefitted from some questionable goaltending at SLU and I'm not sure the PC goaltending was all that great. But, I am impressed with the 3rd period comeback, that shows character that they did not have last year.

Four points in those last six games of the RS is probably more than we can expect. Getting swept is highly likely unless the Cats get Brickely and Markison back and start to feel some magic.

The key is the D and goaltending and a few good bounces.

Overall, they are in a much better place than last year at the Christmas break. Last year they faded further from here but this year I sense they are gaining a bit of momentum instead, should be a fun 2nd half until the last 3 weeks!

Merry Christmas everyone. Think snow!

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
              Four points in those last six games of the RS is probably more than we can expect. Getting swept is highly likely unless the Cats get Brickely and Markison back and start to feel some magic.

I agree, the Cats need to have the points necessary for the playoffs locked up heading into the final three weekends. Lock up 8th before hand and let any bonus points move them up the standings. Of course that's easier said then done. Unless ME turns it around they are a lock for 10th, however 4th-9th could be close at the end. The Cats definitely need to take advantage of the next 5 games and gain maximum points. To do that, Hoffman needs to play well and the D needs to give him support. They were lucky to pull out the tie... giving up 4 goals is not going to win many games. This season will rest on the shoulders of the D and Hoffman.

That said, it's nice to see them putting up some decent offense for a change and hopefully it helps them get that part of the game going. SLU doesn't appear to be a quality team this year, PC certainly is and although it wasn't Gilles in net I don't think the score was a result of an inexperienced back so much as just getting some bounces.

Regardless, Merry Christmas Cat fans and lets hope Santa brings us some more wins.

Comment

Following up briefly on my previous post now that I have access to something better than my iPhone. Of course, I wasn't serious about taking 10 points in those final 6 games, which is why I included a "wink" icon. I agree with Snwbrdr, 4 points in those games is about the best we can hope for, and it wouldn't surprise if we got swept totally. Still, this team is vastly improved over the teams of the last two seasons, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the second half. As things stand right now, I think it's unlikely we'll advance past the first round of HE playoffs (assuming we secure a spot), but if the offensive output over the last couple of games isn't a fluke, and the team keeps developing in the second half, who knows what can happen. There's at least a glimmer of hope, which we haven't had in a while. Now if we can get some good news about that new arena, things will really be looking up.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                  Nice to see some wins and a few points but also need to keep things in perspective. They benefitted from some questionable goaltending at SLU and I'm not sure the PC goaltending was all that great. But, I am impressed with the 3rd period comeback, that shows character that they did not have last year.

Overall, they are in a much better place than last year at the Christmas break. Last year they faded further from here but this year I sense they are gaining a bit of momentum instead, should be a fun 2nd half until the last 3 weeks!

Merry Christmas everyone. Think snow!
                  The PC goaltending had nothing to do with the tie...All four goals would have been in on Gillies honestly.
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    The PC goaltending had nothing to do with the tie...All four goals would have been in on Gillies honestly.
                    For what it's worth, that's what the UVM radio announcers were saying -- there was not a lot he could have done about the goals. They also said PC's last goal was a softie and one that Hoffman would have liked to have back.

Comment

At the link below, Ted Ryan discusses how Vermont's season has gone, their key players, their style of play, and how the Union game might unfold. Ryan also dissects the tenure of Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon, a former Union hockey assistant (1994-1998) and head coach (1998-2003).

Though geared more as a primer on Vermont for Union fans ahead of Saturday's game, some here might find it interesting as well.

http://on.fb.me/Yli04k

Comment

Thanks for the link. Surprised to hear Ted say Sneddon has "come under fire" the last two seasons. I know he's come under fire from some of the posters here, including myself at times, but I doubt that's what Ted was talking about. Since I don't live in Vermont, it's hard to know what people up there are thinking. Has anyone had the sense that people in the UVM hockey community were (are) calling for Sneddon's head?

Regarding hockey, the Cats have not had great success against highly rated teams this season. Hopefully that can change against Union. Would be nice to go into the second half of the season riding a wave of momentum. Go Cats Go.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Surprised to hear Ted say Sneddon has "come under fire" the last two seasons. I know he's come under fire from some of the posters here, including myself at times, but I doubt that's what Ted was talking about.
                          Actually I think that is exactly what he is talking about, the grumbling of fans both on here as well as at the rink. I do not think it goes further then that.
                          Regarding hockey, the Cats have not had great success against highly rated teams this season. Hopefully that can change against Union. Would be nice to go into the second half of the season riding a wave of momentum. Go Cats Go.
                          UVM hasn't gotten much in the way of wins, but they have played well against top teams. They played some good hockey and gave Minny a tough game 2 and they should have won the game against Dartmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            UVM hasn't gotten much in the way of wins, but they have played well against top teams. They played some good hockey and gave Minny a tough game 2 and they should have won the game against Dartmouth.
                            That's true, but I was thinking of UNH, BU and the first Minnesota game. They weren't competitive in any of those games. That said, I see them playing well against Union and maybe coming away with a win.

Comment

New goalie recruit for next year...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e-commits-Cats

"A 5-foot-9, 175-pound resident of Mississauga, Ontario, the 19-year-old Santaguida has a 12-5-1 record with a 2.31 goals against average and a .932 save percentage. He ranks second in the BCHL in save percentage and sixth in goals against average."

I like those numbers, looks like he will give Hoffman a run for his money in net.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                New goalie recruit for next year...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...e-commits-Cats

"A 5-foot-9, 175-pound resident of Mississauga, Ontario, the 19-year-old Santaguida has a 12-5-1 record with a 2.31 goals against average and a .932 save percentage. He ranks second in the BCHL in save percentage and sixth in goals against average."

I like those numbers, looks like he will give Hoffman a run for his money in net.
                                Doubt he will give Hoff a run for his money. Kid seems like a viable 3rd. Faust had better numbers and he is planted on the bench. Also looks like Hoff doesn't need motivation. May end up like BC goalie Muse,playing essentially every game of his career. Interesting 4 forwards coming in, wonder if Sneddon know guys are leaving early if there is an NHL? Losing B Bruno and Nillson Roos and Albertson. Just a thought.

Great team win. Solid game, 2-0-1 last three. it is a start
                                Last edited by HOCKEYGUY23; 12-29-2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X