Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

One of these years, I'd sure like to see a UVM team that can score goals! Until then, same old, same old......

Comment

With the score 3-0 early in the 2nd period (and the game pretty much out of reach the way UVM lacks scoring), seems like it might have been a good time to see what Billy Faust can do between the pipes. He could have had a chance to play without any worries if he was going to cost the team a point or two. What was there to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        One of these years, I'd sure like to see a UVM team that can score goals! Until then, same old, same old......
        You cant win in Hockey East when the entire focus is on defense. We need to open it up a little and get the skilled players the puck alot more. Top two d pairs last night were really out classed and struggled from the drop of the puck. Walls was at least consistent. Offense was absent the entire game other than 1st two minutes of 2nd and first minute of the third. Gonna be a long year again unless we change the offensive focus and let the kids play.

Comment

• Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
          You cant win in Hockey East when the entire focus is on defense. We need to open it up a little and get the skilled players the puck alot more. Top two d pairs last night were really out classed and struggled from the drop of the puck. Walls was at least consistent. Offense was absent the entire game other than 1st two minutes of 2nd and first minute of the third. Gonna be a long year again unless we change the offensive focus and let the kids play.
          AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!!!! Did I ,emotion, AMEN,

Also, Reynolds was hurt at practice is week, not a healthy scratch.

Comment

Watching last night here is what I saw

1. First 35 minutes NO offensive flow or good scoring chances, only a bunch of long weak bad angle shots.
            2. Last 25 miuntes slightly better but game was all but over by even then no ability to finish the few good chances.
            3. Cant win an off zone faceoff at all!!!!
            4. Only player showing any speed was White but he always seemed to be alone when he carried the puck.
            5. So few good lead passes, to far ahead or behind people which should not be as hard on such a wide ice.
            6. Hoffman was good at times but might have 1 or 2 of those goals on a good night.
            7. PP struggled and got itslef in trouble too much thus the 2 penalties on the PP
            8. Refs were again nuts in the 2nd period calling penalties any time a UNH player fell, even UNH play by play guys agreed.

I hope the young players can show improvement or else we will no win any game we give up 2 or more goals.

Hope it was a bad game(they were playing ok till that first goal)
            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
              Also, I loved the Brickley - McCarthy - Fallon line.
              Wonder if Brick wishes he'd followed in his relative's footsteps to UNH.
              Buffoon Detector

Comment

• Originally posted by Redhead View Post
                Wonder if Brick wishes he'd followed in his relative's footsteps to UNH.
                And McCarthy I am sure regrets decommitting from BC

Comment

Not terribly concerned with the outcome of the UNH game. UNH is playing well and has a very talented team. These are games I don't expect UVM to win this year. This year is going to be a struggle but we should see some improvement. I think the Cats are competing with the teams they should be. They tied Lowell, they tied MC, they split with PC. This is where this team is going to be, and they should be fighting for 7-8th place this year. That would be a great improvement over last year.

That said, this team needs some serious offensive growth. Guys need to get pucks on net, sharp passes, and cycle cycle cycle the puck better. I don't agree with the shuffling of lines, there are enough good players on this team to build some solid lines, then there needs to be some consistency to allow them to gel.

Defensively, I think the guys are doing well, we have to remember they are still pretty young.

Goal, this team will live and die by Hoffman. So far in this early season he has been great or average. It's to be expected with a freshman goaltender but his consistency will be the difference in the majority of games. I would like to see Faust get some time as well, and I expect we will see him against Minny. At least for now Hoffman will be starting the conference games unless he puts up a few terrible games, I don't see that happening.

Looking forward BU will be a tough game, one I would be happy to see UVM keep it close. I do expect that the game against NU should be a competitive game and one the cats can win.

Bottom line, there has to be more scoring to give Hoffman a chance to gain confidence and know he can let up a softie without it losing the game. That will come with shots on goal. Deflection, rebounds, etc. Get shots on net and take care of the garbage.

No reason to abandon ship yet. This team is better then lasts year and it will be interesting to see the growth over the season....
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                    Is Sneddon's contract up this year?

Comment

I don't think so. I think he still has 2-3 years left but I could be wrong.

Comment

I'm pretty sure his contract expires in 2014. Why do you ask -- have you seen enough?

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                          Is Sneddon's contract up this year?
                          Another missed playoff appearance and Sneddon could be gone in my opinion.
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                            Another missed playoff appearance and Sneddon could be gone in my opinion.
                            I disagree. He's not going to be fired if he's still under contract. UVM just isn't the type of school to do that. It's not like this is Kentucky basketball or Florida football. If Sneddon's unable to get things turned around, the best anyone can hope for is that he won't be given a new contract. I'm not sure that kind of talk is warranted yet, but things seem to be heading in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                              I'm pretty sure his contract expires in 2014. Why do you ask -- have you seen enough?
                              YES! 9-10 years of under performance, disgruntled players, and an old outdated style of hockey is not cutting it. And sometimes change for the sake of change is not a bad thing to help turn things around. Some bad luck mixed in there along the way but all teams can suffer that at times and it might be self inflicted under Sneddon.....

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                Not terribly concerned with the outcome of the UNH game. UNH is playing well and has a very talented team. These are games I don't expect UVM to win this year. This year is going to be a struggle but we should see some improvement. I think the Cats are competing with the teams they should be. They tied Lowell, they tied MC, they split with PC. This is where this team is going to be, and they should be fighting for 7-8th place this year. That would be a great improvement over last year.

That said, this team needs some serious offensive growth. Guys need to get pucks on net, sharp passes, and cycle cycle cycle the puck better. I don't agree with the shuffling of lines, there are enough good players on this team to build some solid lines, then there needs to be some consistency to allow them to gel.

Defensively, I think the guys are doing well, we have to remember they are still pretty young.

Goal, this team will live and die by Hoffman. So far in this early season he has been great or average. It's to be expected with a freshman goaltender but his consistency will be the difference in the majority of games. I would like to see Faust get some time as well, and I expect we will see him against Minny. At least for now Hoffman will be starting the conference games unless he puts up a few terrible games, I don't see that happening.

Looking forward BU will be a tough game, one I would be happy to see UVM keep it close. I do expect that the game against NU should be a competitive game and one the cats can win.

Bottom line, there has to be more scoring to give Hoffman a chance to gain confidence and know he can let up a softie without it losing the game. That will come with shots on goal. Deflection, rebounds, etc. Get shots on net and take care of the garbage.

No reason to abandon ship yet. This team is better then lasts year and it will be interesting to see the growth over the season....
                                I agree with so much of what you have written here.
                                Can Matt White be that catalyst from an offensive perspective?
                                Is he given enough opportunity to put more points on the board?
                                Is has always been an outstanding two-way center at every level he has played.
                                He brings energy, speed, and physicality to every game I have seen.
                                He should be a point a game guy...

Comment

Working...
                                X