Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXIII - "Pay" Up Pompey?

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Van Persie is a big gamble. He's not that young, at 29, and he has been injury prone over his career. On the other hand, a healthy Van Persie could easily make the difference in the title race.
    I think it was a good deal for both clubs. It's hard to find good value in the transfer market. I'd much rather have RVP at 29 then Jordan Henderson at 20, they both cost the same amount. I see Arsenal as a top four club this year even without RVP and Song, having Wilshere and Diaby back will make a huge difference.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Pompey draws 1-1 with Bournemouth. Can't complain about a point to start the season at all.
      UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

That was an acceptable start to the season.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Dear fans of people who lost today,

Don't cry that you are going to get relegated until at 3-5 games into the season. I only reference this as one of my Facebook friends says Liverpool is toast after losing to West Brom. Nothing aimed at you guys. Carry on.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
            That was an acceptable start to the season.
            Can't say i agree. I'm normally a fan of historic old sporting venues. I love places like Alfond, Matthews, and Thompson. That said, I wouldn't shed a tear if Craven Cottage burned to the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by DBenz View Post
              Can't say i agree. I'm normally a fan of historic old sporting venues. I love places like Alfond, Matthews, and Thompson. That said, I wouldn't shed a tear if Craven Cottage burned to the ground!
              Yeah, as a venue it hasn't been kind to Norwich over the years. Fulham have a similar record of futility at Burnley; haven't won there since the 50s if I'm not mistaken.
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                Dear fans of people who lost today,

Don't cry that you are going to get relegated until at 3-5 games into the season. I only reference this as one of my Facebook friends says Liverpool is toast after losing to West Brom. Nothing aimed at you guys. Carry on.
                Thanks I won't, Liverpool played ok if you ask me. It's the West brom part that has them upset I guess.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Thanks I won't, Liverpool played ok if you ask me. It's the West brom part that has them upset I guess.
                  Liverpool need to get rid of Suarez. I'd almost give him away for free.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    Liverpool need to get rid of Suarez. I'd almost give him away for free.
                    Wow! I wonder if that will happen. Maybe after he screws up about 15 more games and fans get disgusted.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Wow! I wonder if that will happen. Maybe after he screws up about 15 more games and fans get disgusted.
                      By the reaction Suarez got at the Olympics, he wouldn't be missed.

Gers pound East Fife 5-1 and set an attendance record for a fourth-tier match. I heard a lot of their fans won't go to away games because they want to punish all the teams that voted them into D3.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Blackburn drew with Ipswich after leading most of the match. An own goal gave Ipswich the draw.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I'm no Liverpool supporter, but I thought they got the short end of the refereeing stick that match; both of those penalties had a whiff of the theatrical about them.

Suarez is a conundrum for them; on the one hand, he's a huge *****, but on the other hand, he's the only halfway decent player they've got.

I'm going to enjoy this while I can:
                          *****http://i96.***********.com/albums/l192/hermanjoshua/topoftheleague.jpg******
                          Last edited by jmh; 08-20-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Arsenal sells Song to Barca for 15 million. Another money maker for the accountants at Arsenal, but not what you want on a team hoping to compete for hardware.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                              Arsenal sells Song to Barca for 15 million. Another money maker for the accountants at Arsenal, but not what you want on a team hoping to compete for hardware.
                              This makes very little sense to me, unless Barcelona are feeling vindictive about the Fabregas saga and wanted to sign another of Arsenal's players out of spite. It's been pretty clear that what Barca needed this offseason was A) a left back, since Abidal is past his best and has lingering issues relating to his liver transplant, which they took care of admirably, B) a center back, since Puyol is coming off a serious injury and Mascherano doesn't have the size to play there and is playing out of position, which they haven't addressed unless they're serious about Fontas or Muniesa or Bartra stepping up, and C) a striker, in case Villa takes a while to get back up to speed or doesn't at all, because it's nice to be able to score even if Messi has an off day, which they haven't addressed. What they didn't need was A) a central midfielder to add to the mix with Xavi and Iniesta and Fabregas and Busquets and Mascherano and Thiago and dos Santos.

Something I learned on Wikipedia just now: Alex Song has 17 brothers and 10 sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                                This makes very little sense to me, unless Barcelona are feeling vindictive about the Fabregas saga and wanted to sign another of Arsenal's players out of spite. It's been pretty clear that what Barca needed this offseason was A) a left back, since Abidal is past his best and has lingering issues relating to his liver transplant, which they took care of admirably, B) a center back, since Puyol is coming off a serious injury and Mascherano doesn't have the size to play there and is playing out of position, which they haven't addressed unless they're serious about Fontas or Muniesa or Bartra stepping up, and C) a striker, in case Villa takes a while to get back up to speed or doesn't at all, because it's nice to be able to score even if Messi has an off day, which they haven't addressed. What they didn't need was A) a central midfielder to add to the mix with Xavi and Iniesta and Fabregas and Busquets and Mascherano and Thiago and dos Santos.

Something I learned on Wikipedia just now: Alex Song has 17 brothers and 10 sisters.
                                It is a bit puzzling. It's also puzzling that the deal went through smoothly and quickly, with Wenger putting up no noticeable defense to losing what a lot of people have said was one of Arsenal's better players last season. I saw quotes from someone with the club saying they got tired of Song's attitude, being late for team meetings, not following instructions, etc., but it's hard to know if that's just spin at this point.

I've seen internet chatter that Song could be turned into a CB, something that some Arsenal fans have talked about at times in the last season or two when Arsenal were almost out of CBs.
                                Originally posted by Priceless
                                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                                Very well, said.
                                Originally posted by Rover
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X