Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXIII - "Pay" Up Pompey?

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    I was watching highlights of the Fulham U18s beat the Chelsea U18s 5-0 (because it's awesome), and it got me thinking: how badly would a Premier League academy U18 team beat a good US high school team (which is about the same age group)?
    How badly would a Premier League academy U18 team beat any randomly collected assembly of U18 players in England or Wales? When you compare academy (selective) to high school (largely not), you're comparing apples to oranges.

If you want a USA-England apples-to-apples comparison, try a PL academy team against an MLS academy team or other elite club team. That way, at least the level of selectivity is roughly comparable.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Submitted without comment

Comment

New MLS Supporters Shield
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

DEVIL LOON!

Also, I kinda dig it.

Comment

• Surprised no comments on RM-ManU game. What do people think of that call? Harsh but not completely unjustified is my view.
            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
              Surprised no comments on RM-ManU game. What do people think of that call? Harsh but not completely unjustified is my view.
              More yellow than orange for me, though that judgment is admittedly from a single view via animated gif.

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

I had a nice conversation today with some people around Liverpool, and most of them are not at all shocked about rooney possibly leaving man U. They pointed out it was roughly 38 million pounds that would be saved. Also they like suarez, and hope he stays around. They also like Rodgers btw.
                I thought this all somewhat surprising given Liverpool's record this year, though I like Rodgers.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                  Surprised no comments on RM-ManU game. What do people think of that call? Harsh but not completely unjustified is my view.
                  The call was harsh. Yellow yes. Banished, no way. Not in that game.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I've seen a photo from another angle and a shot of the aftermath for Arbeloa, and I've gone from leaning yellow to leaning red. He got raked pretty badly.

Comment

This weekend, the Baltimore Blast take on the Missouri Comets for the MISL championship.

Comment

So... uh... Barcelona came to play today.

Also, I'm hoping for a last minute goal out of Schalke, if only to see Drogba go home early.

Edit: Maybe should've asked for a last minute goal out of Galatasaray, because I can't get enough of Drogba having success. *sigh*
                        Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          So... uh... Barcelona came to play today.

Also, I'm hoping for a last minute goal out of Schalke, if only to see Drogba go home early.
                          You would have needed two last minute goals out of Schalke, even before Galatasaray potted their third.

Comment

Watching the replay of Barca-Milan on FSC, and wow, it could have been 3 - 0 twelve minutes in. Yowza.

Comment

So in a bit of history Seattle eliminates Tigres 3-2 on aggregate in the CONCACAF Champions League becoming the first MLS team in 11 years to eliminate a Mexican team in a two game tie. And they did it with 3 second half goals after going 2-0, including this goal from Djimi Traore:
                              ******* width="560" height="315">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObZVcMYxWXQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObZVcMYxWXQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Houston faces Santos Laguna in Mexico up 1-0 and LA plays Herediano of Costa Rico at home 0-0 tomorrow. Seattle plays the Houston/Santos winner in the Semis.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                                You would have needed two last minute goals out of Schalke, even before Galatasaray potted their third.
                                They went 1-1 in Istanbul, it was 2-2 at the time in Germany, so Scheisse only needed the one goal.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                So in a bit of history Seattle eliminates Tigres 3-2 on aggregate in the CONCACAF Champions League becoming the first MLS team in 11 years to eliminate a Mexican team in a two game tie. And they did it with 3 second half goals after going 2-0, including this goal from Djimi Traore:
                                ******* width="560" height="315">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObZVcMYxWXQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObZVcMYxWXQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Houston faces Santos Laguna in Mexico up 1-0 and LA plays Herediano of Costa Rico at home 0-0 tomorrow. Seattle plays the Houston/Santos winner in the Semis.
                                Wow, that was a heck of a kick. The only thing that would've been more impressive is if he did it on the volley.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X