This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Soccer XXIII - "Pay" Up Pompey?

Since it seems the last World Soccer thread got nuked, and the other thread is more a discussion on interest and not so much the games themselves, I figure I'll start this one.

Portsmouth's liquidation deadline was today. They had to get rid of all senior players being paid Premier League and Championship level wages to avoid liquidation. Luckily, it looks like they were able to do just that, with Liam Lawrence and Tel Ben Haim leaving the club in the last two days.

The only stumbling block left is Kanu, who's quit the club, but still wants some of his unpaid wages. Understandable, but the way he's gone about it is awful. I'm trying hard not to blame the players, after all, they're the ones owed money. But if the club was liquidated, they'd get pennies on the dollar. By restructuring, they still get their money, just over a longer period.

The decision on what Kanu is owed will be decided by a court, decision by the first Cup tie on Tuesday hopefully. Same with the ownership takeover hopefully. Many want the PST, Portsmouth Supporters Trust, to buy the team, so the fans own it. But they simply can't afford to run the club right now, and would require a loan from the city just to own Fratton Park. While nice, I don't think going into more debt would be good for the club at the moment, haha.

So it'll probably be Portpin/Balram Chainrai buying the club, though he does want to sell to PST when they can afford to run the club. I really, really don't want Chainrai owning the club again, as he was the one that put Pompey into administration the first time. He's still way in debt, so I have little hope in him.

And they're -10 points to start the season (making 3 ten point deductions in under 2 years for the same issue...). But hey, at least the club looks like it will survive.
    UNH Wildcat Hockey

Re: World Soccer XXIII - "Pay" Up Pompey?

Rangers start their third division campaign against Peterhead.

Good luck to your side, Pompey. I hope they make it back just to give the bird for being put under triple jeopardy.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Ten years from now, Portsmouth will be promoted, to the tune of "Play up, Pompey" meaning more than it ever had.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        Good luck to your side, Pompey. I hope they make it back just to give the bird for being put under triple jeopardy.
        So say we all.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I see the coach brought up a bunch of new people for the friendly tomorrow night. Interested to see how they do without Dempsey.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            So say we all.
            Agreed.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I see the coach brought up a bunch of new people for the friendly tomorrow night. Interested to see how they do without Dempsey.
              I'm excited to see more of Fabian Johnson and Terrence Boyd; can't figure out why Beckerman and his stupid hair keep getting called up though. He's terrible.

Edit to add: Muck Fexico.
              Last edited by jmh; 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                Edit to add: Muck Fexico.
                Seriously.

Their fans are somewhere in Juggalo territory, as far as I'm concerned.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Lot of optimism at Villa but 4 players out with injuries. We'll see if Lambert can work some Norwich magic with the Villans. When they are talking up Ireland as a potential key contributor, one has to worry.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Bit of theatrics here in the Benfica - Fortuna Dusseldorf friendly:

CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Only a few days away from the Prem starting. I changed my sig for the changed in Gers and to show support for Portsmouth. (I'm still a United fan, but I'm giving them some good wishes.)
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I'm wondering if City can have as good a year as last and I think several teams will be better mid pack. Liverpool and Spurs in particular.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Oh, the US plays Mexico at Azteca tonight. That should be a horribly officiated and rough game.
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Look out for urine bags

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Look out for urine bags
                              The game was moved to Philly?
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X