Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: This is not a thread about the Minnesota Wild

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Re-sign Cullen for a year, give Spurgeon a 3 year deal, that isn't big money, but above where he is with his entry-level deal, and offer a deal to Clutterbuck. Scandella is the one name from the non-roster guys that I think they need to lock up. I'd also like to see some of them signed to small contracts, 2-way contracts, AHL contracts or whatever for depth reasons.

Development from Zucker, Coyle and Dumba will be key, but especially Granlund. He needs to be become the player everyone thinks he can be. I think we still need a top line center, because I don't think Koivu is that guy. Koivu is perfect for a 2nd line, but not the top line. Hopefully Granlund develops into that, but in the meantime, I think we have to go with Koivu.

I also think, that if this team is going to be a cup contender at some point in the next 2-5 years, Clutterbuck has to be on the 4th line. Nothing against him, but we need enough talent, ahead of him, to fill out 3 complete lines, if the Wild are going to compete for a Cup. I look at this as a kind of litmus test, if the Wild can fill out 3 lines, without Clutterbuck being in that mix, I think that the talent and depth have improved enough to make a Cup run. I doubt they'll be there next year.

The forwards that should be on this team next year: Parise, Koivu, Coyle, Zucker, Pominville, Cullen, Setoguchi, Heatley, Clutterbuck, Granlund, Brodziak, Mitchell, Konopka, Dowell, are still short on the talent needed, barring development from the Coyles, Zuckers, and Granlunds. I don't expect any free agency help whatsoever, after the huge splash last year. I'm guessing we'll be looking at Parise-Koivu-Coyle, Cullen-Setoguchi-Zucker, Pominville-Granlund-Heatley, Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Mitchell starting off next season.

I'm much more optimistic about the defense. Suter-Brodin is rock solid, and will only be better next year. I expect Scandella to be with the team all season, and be paired with Spurgeon. Add in Stoner, Falk, Gilbert and Dumba to round it out, and it looks pretty good. I actually wouldn't mind if Falk wasn't resigned, because I think Dumba will be ready to step in from day 1 next season.
    Why is Cuma not given a chance...I know he was not drafted by Fletcher but he's still a 1st round pick that seems to have done well?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Why is Cuma not given a chance...I know he was not drafted by Fletcher but he's still a 1st round pick that seems to have done well?
      What injury does he have now?
      I think Dumba and Scandella both have much higher upsides than Cuma.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Hmmm.

Hawks tonight.

Haven't been following the Wild so far. How are things going?

Heard about the young defenseman, other than that, nothing.

Just need one bite!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Hmmm.

Hawks tonight.

Haven't been following the Wild so far. How are things going?

Heard about the young defenseman, other than that, nothing.
          Meh, not great - had a meaningless win against some stiffs the other night who weren't trying, but otherwise can't score in a whorehouse with a pocketfull of $100's.

Is that a bite?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            Meh, not great - had a meaningless win against some stiffs the other night who weren't trying, but otherwise can't score in a whorehouse with a pocketfull of $100's.

Is that a bite?

I was just coming here to up the ante.

Seems our dumb-arse head coach is finally gonna put Pirri on the second line where he belonged all along.

You have zero chance now! 3 lines rolling that you can't possibly hope to match.

I'll give you guys a cookie if you stay within 3.

Comment

With Charlie Coyle ready to play for friday, the Wild are shaking up the forward lines.
              1) Niederreiter-Koivu-Brodziak
              2) Parise-Coyle-Fontaine/Heatley
              3) Cooke-Granlund-Pominville
              4) Mitchell-Konopka-Fontaine/Heatley

Thoughts?
              Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

With Charlie Coyle ready to play for friday, the Wild are shaking up the forward lines.

Thoughts?
                The idea of Heatley on the 4th line is making be absolutely giddy!
                I just wish it was the 4th line in Des Moines, but I'll settle for baby steps at this point.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Take Heatley out completely and double shift Fontaine.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Thoughts?
                    This is quite the shake up...

My first thoughts on when Coyle came back the lines would look like

Parise/Koivu/Coyle
                    Pominville/Granlund/Niederreiter
                    Cooke/Brodziak/Fontaine
                    Heatley/Konopka/Mitchell

At the very least I like that they're keeping Pominville and Granlund together
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                      This is quite the shake up...

My first thoughts on when Coyle came back the lines would look like

Parise/Koivu/Coyle
                      Pominville/Granlund/Niederreiter
                      Cooke/Brodziak/Fontaine
                      Heatley/Konopka/Mitchell

At the very least I like that they're keeping Pominville and Granlund together
                      It basically puts Koivu on the second line without having to say so. I'm okay with it.

Comment

If this thread were about the Wild I'd mentioned they had very nice 4-0 this evening.
                        Even the cheesehead with feet of cement scored a goal.
                        But it's not so I won't.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Heatley went to Wisconsin, but I don't consider him a cheesehead. He's a German-Canadian.

Not that it matters, as this thread has nothing to do with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                            If this thread were about the Wild I'd mentioned they had very nice 4-0 this evening.
                            Even the cheesehead with feet of cement scored a goal.
                            But it's not so I won't.
                            Hell froze over.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I haven't been paying much attention. Has the NHL season started yet?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                                I haven't been paying much attention. Has the NHL season started yet?
                                I just randomly googled "NHL Season Underway" and the first thing that popped up was an article with this line:

In 2011-12, the last time the NHL played a full season, the Wild got off to a hot start before succumbing to the forces of gravity. At season's end, the Wild had been outscored by 47 at five-a-side, while controlling 44.2 percent of shot attempts.
                                So I'm thinking something named The Wild is doing well?

Comment

Working...
                                X