X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Pros V

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
    Jake Morissette signs with German team....http://www.ecachockey.com/men/member...RiesserseeSign with several boys now playing in Germany it should be good reading/studying for Ralph.

I think that it would be easier than the homework assignment that I am struggling with. (Ich denke, dass es leichter wäre, als die Hausaufgabe, mit der ich mich abmühe.)
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I think that it would be easier than the homework assignment that I am struggling with. (Ich denke, dass es leichter wäre, als die Hausaufgabe, mit der ich mich abmühe.)
      Why, might I ask, are you taking German classes? Who are you planning on invading?
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Why, might I ask, are you taking German classes? Who are you planning on invading?
        I'll give you the actual answer rather than think of something dumb to say.

For the last 30+ years I have been working on my personal genealogy, and since my parents and just about everyone else on my family tree were from Germany, a knowledge of the language is very useful. Although I understand the reason very well, my parents never spoke it with me as a child, and I have forgotten a lot of what I learned in two years at RPI. Since I retired two years ago, I have more time to do this, and people say it is good to keep your brain active when you stop working. Granted that the German that I am learning is more appropriate for conversation at social gatherings than for reading old documents, but it helps, especially the grammar. I was pretty happy that I was able to understand over 90% of what was said in the 90 minutes or so of speeches streamed over the internet from the award ceremony in Berlin that I was invited to go to but didn't attend on Monday.

I apologize to turk for going further off topic.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'll give you the actual answer rather than think of something dumb to say.

For the last 30+ years I have been working on my personal genealogy, and since my parents and just about everyone else on my family tree were from Germany, a knowledge of the language is very useful. Although I understand the reason very well, my parents never spoke it with me as a child, and I have forgotten a lot of what I learned in two years at RPI. Since I retired two years ago, I have more time to do this, and people say it is good to keep your brain active when you stop working. Granted that the German that I am learning is more appropriate for conversation at social gatherings than for reading old documents, but it helps, especially the grammar. I was pretty happy that I was able to understand over 90% of what was said in the 90 minutes or so of speeches streamed over the internet from the award ceremony in Berlin that I was invited to go to but didn't attend on Monday.

I apologize to turk for going further off topic.
          Makes a lot of sense. i sort of wish i was doing something similar-but since most of my family came from various areas of Russia i would need to learn a new alphabet and at this age I just do not have the concentration to do it. Some relatives were Austrian, so i suspect German would be of some help to me. I was, of course, being sarcastic. I knew you weren't planning on invading any place (were you?).

Comment

Makes a lot of sense. i sort of wish i was doing something similar-but since most of my family came from various areas of Russia i would need to learn a new alphabet and at this age I just do not have the concentration to do it. Some relatives were Austrian, so i suspect German would be of some help to me. I was, of course, being sarcastic. I knew you weren't planning on invading any place (were you?).
            could've used the tag...DrZhivago then.
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I assume that you mean the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, not what is now Austria. If so, the language depends upon where and when you are referring to.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I assume that you mean the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, not what is now Austria. If so, the language depends upon where and when you are referring to.
                Hard to know for certain-my daughter tried to trace back but lots of records seemed to have disappeared during WWII. We were able to trace part of the family to Linz but nothing further back.

Comment

Kirk MacDonald loaned to the Houston Aeros (AHL) http://www.echl.com/echl-transactions-feb-5-p181752
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Kirk MacDonald loaned to the Houston Aeros (AHL) http://www.echl.com/echl-transactions-feb-5-p181752
                    from Readings site http://www.royalshockey.com/news/news.asp?story_id=1992

Comment

Does anyone know if we have a connection to the Royals? It seems to me that a number of Engineers have played for the Royals over the years, going back the the late 90s.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Kirk MacDonald's hand was apparently run over with a skate. (See his recent tweets https://twitter.com/kmacdonald13.)
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Kirk MacDonald's hand was apparently run over with a skate. (See his recent tweets https://twitter.com/kmacdonald13.)
                          explains why he wasn't in the lineup last night.....man, that hurts just looking at.

Comment

explains why he wasn't in the lineup last night.....man, that hurts just looking at.
                            Does it ever!
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Not nearly as bad as the Eric Healey episode. Kirk should recover from this and here's hoping he is at 100% quickly.

Comment

did anyone happen to see this wknd's MSG Hockey Night Live? They had a piece on the Bakersfield Condors who had an actual Condor on the ice for the pre-game. The Condor didn't like it & took off on the ice....the bird's trainer caught it but it got away & headed for the Condor bench where former RPI tough guy (I thought ) Eric Burgdoerfer #2, scrambled to get away.....as did every single Condor player. Pretty funny stuff.....found it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcd3D...layer_embedded
                                Last edited by turk181; 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X