Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Tennis...Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    What a bizarre match. It was almost like Fed was trying to help a fellow Nike wearer. With that being said, no doubt in my mind Tiafoe is next American to win a grand slam. I'm super impressed with him, and not just because of last night.
    Tiafoes backstory is amazing and I can't wait to see him win a big one

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Good lord, Halep is super cute. First female tennis player I've seen in twenty years that didn't look like a praying mantis.
    This is really random but I've actually met a couple girls playing tennis who look just like her. One is a weak 4.5 and the other a solid 5.0. What are the odds of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Tiafoes backstory is amazing and I can't wait to see him win a big one
    Couldn't agree more. There are going to be some fun matches in years to come between him, Zhvarev, and Shapolavov.

Re: Tennis...Anyone?

This is really random but I've actually met a couple girls playing tennis who look just like her. One is a weak 4.5 and the other a solid 5.0. What are the odds of that?
    I'm assuming those are tennis ratings, not Barney Stinson ratings?

You need to get after those ladies, sir. That is what this man calls a healthy look.

And a pure 5 can get you into the country club to find you're real meal ticket. But I digress.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-30-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm assuming those are tennis ratings, not Barney Stinson ratings?

You need to get after those ladies, sir. That is what this man calls a healthy look.

And a pure 5 can get you into the country club to find you're real meal ticket. But I digress.
    NTRP ratings, do you not use those in the beltway?

One woman is more than enough!

Sascha Zverev is gone. He lost to Borna Coric in four tough sets. It looks like either Isner or Querry has a decent chance to reach the final.

no doubt in my mind Tiafoe is next American [male] to win a grand slam. I'm super impressed with him, and not just because of last night.
    While Querrey has come pretty close, he hasn't quite made it. Tiafoe's youth is a big asset, the Big Four will be waning while Tiafoe is improving; he needed some mental toughness that only comes with experience.

it will also be interesting to see which American female wins next, assuming Serena will not come back from her maternity leave. Madison Keys maybe?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    While Querrey has come pretty close, he hasn't quite made it. Tiafoe's youth is a big asset, the Big Four will be waning while Tiafoe is improving; he needed some mental toughness that only comes with experience.

it will also be interesting to see which American female wins next, assuming Serena will not come back from her maternity leave. Madison Keys maybe?
    For me, Zverev was the heavy favorite in the tournament. With him gone I think Querry now has a pretty good chance. I reckon it will be him and Dimitrov in the final. I don't think either Fed or Nadal makes the semis. They both look out of form to me, and have since Wimby.

I don't watch the women's game as much, but would put my money on Coco if someone held a gun to my head. I don't think Keys has the consistency to win seven straight matches. I definitely think it will be one of the bigger girls who wins next. It's too hard for the girls who are say 5'7" and smaller.

For me, Zverev was the heavy favorite in the tournament. With him gone I think Querry now has a pretty good chance. I reckon it will be him and Dimitrov in the final. I don't think either Fed or Nadal makes the semis. They both look out of form to me, and have since Wimby.

I don't watch the women's game as much, but would put my money on Coco if someone held a gun to my head. I don't think Keys has the consistency to win seven straight matches. I definitely think it will be one of the bigger girls who wins next. It's too hard for the girls who are say 5'7" and smaller.
    Yikes. That wasn't a very good prediction. Three of the four finalists from Cinci and Montreal are now gone.

It looks like either Isner or Querry has a decent chance to reach the final.
    Cilic is out now too.

Too bad for US men's hopes; Querrey and Isner, if both keep winning, would play each other in the quarterfinals. Their half of the draw is really wide open now; we are going to see a first-time Grand Slam finalist for sure.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Del Potro with an epic comeback win today

not particularly bad

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Del Potro with an epic comeback win today
    That was an exciting match to watch. And, a not bad player to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    That was an exciting match to watch. And, a not bad player to look at.
    Paul Ryan's face with Barack Obama's ears. No thanks.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

So far, three US women in semi-finals, with one slot left to be decided.

So far, three US women in semi-finals, with one slot left to be decided.
    I only saw half of the second set, but Coco was brilliant today.

It's too bad Querry lost last night. As anyone who has played much tennis can tell you, if you play out of your mind one day the next time out you're probably going to have a clunker. That is exactly what happened to him.

Dammit roger

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Dammit roger
    Completely blew it in that tiebuster. To be honest, he just hasn't looked good all summer. There have been stretches here and there he has been decent, but for the most part has been pretty ordinary. He was fortunate to get such easy draws in Montreal and NY.

The end is going to come quick for the big four. I'm not sure Murray will ever come back. I can't imagine Fed plays for more than another year. Rafa and Djoker might hang around a little longer depending on injuries.

Completely blew it in that tiebuster. To be honest, he just hasn't looked good all summer. There have been stretches here and there he has been decent, but for the most part has been pretty ordinary. He was fortunate to get such easy draws in Montreal and NY.

The end is going to come quick for the big four. I'm not sure Murray will ever come back. I can't imagine Fed plays for more than another year. Rafa and Djoker might hang around a little longer depending on injuries.
    I have a feeling Nadal will hang around until he can no longer compete at the French Open. He has only lost 2 matches at Roland Garros, and didn't drop a set in 2017. Obviously, a time will come when he just doesn't have it (or, as you mentioned, injuries finally take their toll), but Nadal is only 31. I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa plays another 5-6 years, wins another 3-4 French Opens, and maybe snags another major or 2 to eclipse Roger's 19.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

[I] would put my money on Coco [to be next US woman other than Serena to win a major] if someone held a gun to my head. I don't think Keys has the consistency to win seven straight matches. I definitely think it will be one of the bigger girls who wins next. It's too hard for the girls who are say 5'7" and smaller.
    Either Coco or Keys will be in the Final now.

Either Coco or Keys will be in the Final now.
    A woodshed beatdowns last night from Keys. It will be interesting to see if what happened to Querry happens to her. Whenever you play a match like that it's hard to follow it up. There have been so many random grand slam winners on the women's side in the last five years it's about time an American got one.

Thread Information