No announcement yet.

Elmira possibly moving to First Arena?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elmira possibly moving to First Arena?

Educate me, is Elmira a private college? Or part of the SUNYAC system? Why wouldn't they build a facility on their own campus?
    Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
      Educate me, is Elmira a private college? Or part of the SUNYAC system? Why wouldn't they build a facility on their own campus?
      Elmira is a private college located in downtown Elmira. The First Arena is a city arena 5 minutes away. The Domes are located 15-20 mins away from campus and are owned by the college for dirt cheap.

There is not room on the EC campus to build a rink on campus nor would they probably want one since the downtown rink is so close and they already have the Domes.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
        I would agree back in the days.....but with the "newer" rinks and facilities...along with a much smaller attendance at the Domes (4,000 screaming Eagle fans was fun) the Domes have lost its Luster with the typical recruit.
        nail hitting head

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Elmira is a private college located in downtown Elmira. The First Arena is a city arena 5 minutes away. The Domes are located 15-20 mins away from campus and are owned by the college for dirt cheap.

There is not room on the EC campus to build a rink on campus nor would they probably want one since the downtown rink is so close and they already have the Domes.
          whats the capacity of the 1st arena

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            whats the capacity of the 1st arena
            4000ish.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
              The county exec made it very clear that the Afrs (owners of the Jackals and manage the Arena) are on very very thin ice. The fire alarm hasn't worked since it was installed, and the county is sick of the Afr's sleazy operating style. The reason Santulli wants EC downtown is to have a primary tenant when the Afr's and Jackals are presumptively evicted at the end of the 12/13 season, which makes the scheduling issue a moot issue.

There are no substantive negatives for EC moving to the Arena other than Connor having to drive the extra 8 miles which most of us do now.
              • Parking is abundant and free is you don't mind walking two blocks
              • There is more than one road into and out of the arena
              • There are no mysterious crop circles under the ice
              • The temperature is tolerable
              • There are more than two concession locations
              • There are more than two bathrooms
              • The lighting isn't abysmal
              • The hand soap is not purple
              • The seats are all comfortable
              • You can eat downtown, then walk to the game
              • The sound system does not suck
              • There is more than one entrance
              • Hopefully more than 20 students would attend
              • My wife would begin attending with me again

Edit ... Here's the latest scoop on this train wreck from the local rag:
              How is your last point a positive?

Comment

4000ish.
                can you say Final Four???

Comment

can you say Final Four???
                  Elmira and the First Arena hosted the very first pre-determined site D-III Final Four once they started going to this foramt back in 2006 and have now stayed with to present day. Middlebury beat St. Norbert 3-0 in the finals after the Panthers beat Elmira 2-1 and SNC beat Hobart 5-4? IIRC.

I know Aldrich Arena in Minnesota hosted in like 1993 correct which I believe was the only other pre-determined site?
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Elmira and the First Arena hosted the very first pre-determined site D-III Final Four once they started going to this foramt back in 2006 and have now stayed with to present day. Middlebury beat St. Norbert 3-0 in the finals after the Panthers beat Elmira 2-1 and SNC beat Hobart 5-4? IIRC.

I know Aldrich Arena in Minnesota hosted in like 1993 correct which I believe was the only other pre-determined site?
                    I did not know that...thnks...ps how did it go??? attendance??

Comment

I did not know that...thnks...ps how did it go??? attendance??
                      Attendance was great for the Elmira/Middlebury game.

I believe 3000ish.

EDIT: Just looked at official box and listed at a little over 2500.

SNC/Midd championship was 1474.

So not the best attendance I guess.

But also, didn't have the luxury of having a fan base like Oswego, Plattsburgh, or Norwich there either.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Attendance was great for the Elmira/Middlebury game.

I believe 3000ish.

EDIT: Just looked at official box and listed at a little over 2500.

SNC/Midd championship was 1474.

So not the best attendance I guess.

But also, didn't have the luxury of having a fan base like Oswego, Plattsburgh, or Norwich there either.
                        IHMO attendance is always going to be a challenging issue in a small market/campus location...folks are not likely to stick around for a final their school is not playing in...most (all?) don't have the draw of a Lake Placid, where you can plan on a nice weekend regardless of the game scores...

Let's consider Oswego as an option - In recent years, the Pathfinder has had a great lineup of teams and yet has never been close to a sellout with students home for winter break...a Frozen Four during spring break could have the same result even with the Lakers in the final...

Rule of thumb - If you won't take a vacation there, you probably won't stick around to see two other teams play....
                        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Elbojpb, I probably drive to more "Away Games" than you do, the extra drive down to Hellmira doesn't faze me, it's a case of me being selfish, which I already stated. Someone has to live close, someone has to drive farther. As long as the Boosters don't get the shaft, I really don't care, 25 yrs, missed only one home game, show us some respect.
                          My money says it doesn't happen anyway
                          Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                          Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                          Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

I just want whatever is going to give the team the best chance to compete and win a national championship. Elmira has been good for far too long to not have a national championship yet. Something needs to spark this program to the next level.

This year's recruiting class looks promising. It has to be after all the talent that was lost with the 2012 class. Hopefully deMelo got his grades straightened out and will be eligible again next year to compete for time with McDonald.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

I just want whatever is going to give the team the best chance to compete and win a national championship. Elmira has been good for far too long to not have a national championship yet. Something needs to spark this program to the next level.

This year's recruiting class looks promising. It has to be after all the talent that was lost with the 2012 class. Hopefully deMelo got his grades straightened out and will be eligible again next year to compete for time with McDonald.
                              Speaking of recruits as is the case at Norwich the coaching staffs like to keep as much info as possible under the radar for various reasons. It seems this year even Oswego and Plattsburgh are keeping the recruit info close to the vest so the recruits posted doesn't reflect what is coming in. The D1 transfers are also for the most part off the books and can make a big difference as evidenced by the Plattsburgh goaltender pickup last year.

Prez could you give us an idea how old the Domes is and the number of people it will hold? I have never been to a game in Elmira to date.
                              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                                Speaking of recruits as is the case at Norwich the coaching staffs like to keep as much info as possible under the radar for various reasons. It seems this year even Oswego and Plattsburgh are keeping the recruit info close to the vest so the recruits posted doesn't reflect what is coming in. The D1 transfers are also for the most part off the books and can make a big difference as evidenced by the Plattsburgh goaltender pickup last year.

Prez could you give us an idea how old the Domes is and the number of people it will hold? I have never been to a game in Elmira to date.
                                From the Elmira Athletics website...

Murray Athletic Center
                                The world's first geodesic dome athletic complex, the Murray Athletic Center, is one of the most unique athletic facilities in the Northeast. Located eight miles from the main campus, it features a 3,200 seat hockey arena, a 2,000-seat gymnasium, a 38,000 square-foot field house with four indoor tennis courts, six squash courts and two playing fields. It too has gone through a recent renovation and expansion in the ice arena locker room area.

There must be a secret short cut - don't think I ever got out there in only 8 miles...
                                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Working...
                                X