Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Politicians We Admire

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Re: Politicians We Admire

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. He's the root of all evil.
    I thought that was Woodrow Wilson
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

I recently went on at length about my admiration for Barry Goldwater. The guy was the personification of integrity. No reporter ever accused Golwater of straddling in answer to a question. You knew right where he stood. Hubert Humphrey is another one I admire: pushing for civil rights planks in the '48 convention of a party dominated by segregationists took balls.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 05-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Kriesel!
    This.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

For those of you not familiar with who I, and MNS, are talking about: http://www.johnkriesel.org/?page_id=2

Also: http://minnesporta.com/2012/05/07/ph...el-needs-help/
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

For those of you not familiar with who I, and MNS, are talking about: http://www.johnkriesel.org/?page_id=2

Also: http://minnesporta.com/2012/05/07/ph...el-needs-help/
    A lot to like there. Thanks for clueing us in. If he were a 2nd rate "comedian" or a broken down wrassler, he'd have a great political future in Minnesota. Maybe he can overcome those handicaps.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 05-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Not that I disagree, but I'm guessing that this comment will go over like a fart in church when the libs get in here.
    Nah. We get used to this kind of stupidity, and it's not really worth commenting on.

And you may be on to something with that Kriesel guy. It's amazing how, at the state and local political levels, voting for what you think is right, and not the party line, is still ok.
    Last edited by duper; 05-18-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Engineers are the plumbers of a civilization... Without them, the real point of human existence, great art, literature, theology and philosophy, is somewhat less likely to happen... So, hail to the engineers. But, let's be serious... use the service entrance.

Deport Right Wing Nuts brookyone's Avatar

When it comes to dodging flying shoes...there is one who stands above all others.
    Minnesota Hockey

Drunkard

Quote Originally Posted by brookyone View Post
    When it comes to dodging flying shoes...there is one who stands above all others.
    Or ducks, as it were.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

I really liked James Traficant until he got busted. He seemed like the real deal. I was heartbroken when I found he was just another politician.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Drunkard
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I really liked James Traficant until he got busted. He seemed like the real deal. I was heartbroken when I found he was just another politician.
    Life's a lot easier when you whip out the broad brush and start assuming that they all are just another politician, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Life's a lot easier when you whip out the broad brush and start assuming that they all are just another politician, isn't it?
    I watched his hearing for his crimes. Yeah, I tuned into CSPANII or whatever channel it was on. It was a sad day. A guy who claimed to be in a party just so he could vote the way he wanted and have his voice heard? No matter how independent it was? Too good to be true! Wait, it was.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

I watched his hearing for his crimes. Yeah, I tuned into CSPANII or whatever channel it was on. It was a sad day. A guy who claimed to be in a party just so he could vote the way he wanted and have his voice heard? No matter how independent it was? Too good to be true! Wait, it was.
    To my way of thinking, he was considerably worse than "just another politician." And one of the worst rugs in recorded history.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Pio View Post
    To my way of thinking, he was considerably worse than "just another politician." And one of the worst rugs in recorded history.
    '

The rug was hysterical. Off the charts.

He was so clean (legally) for so long, then boom. House of Cards.

If your only exposure to Chris Christie has been through the national media, then you are viewing a charicature....left-wing clown, right-wing savior, neither really fits.

Christie was a federal prosecutor before his election to governor. It shows. He does his homework and prepares meticulously. He knows the facts and the arguments and presents them in a coherent, organized, persuasive manner.

Since he has to convince the jury to vote in his favor, he rarely demeans those "on the other side." Typically he acknowledges all the valid points they make in their arguments, and then sets out on his rebuttal, as to why those points need to be set aside in order to deliver the proper verdict.

In other words, he manages politics in a way similar to the way he would manage a case in the courtroom. It works. He's been effective as a governor because he knows how to put together a winning argument, and he knows how to deliver it as well.

For example, during contract negotiations he'd say "teachers are great, teachers are wonderful, and we can't go overboard and pay them anything out of line with what we'd pay others. It's about overall budgetary balance." and he'd get the concessions he needed.

The difference between NJ and CA is instructive. The Feds offered CA some money to build high-speed rail, and Gov Brown accepted. The Feds offered NJ lots of money to build another tunnel under the Hudson to Manhattan, and Christie said "no thanks, we cannot afford all the strings attached." (all the cost overruns are billed to the state, not to the Feds) and he had enough sense to set priorities and live within them.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

lucky penguin

A lot to like there. Thanks for clueing us in. If he were a 2nd rate "comedian" or a broken down wrassler, he'd have a great political future in Minnesota. Maybe he can overcome those handicaps.
    Calling Michele Bachmann 2nd-rate seems awfully generous.

I'd say Minnesota's 1st district rep Tim Walz is a pretty good one. His big accomplishment this term was introducing a bill that was eventually passed into law which bans members of Congress from insider trading...which was apparently a thing.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MaizeRage View Post
    Calling Michele Bachmann 2nd-rate seems awfully generous.

I'd say Minnesota's 1st district rep Tim Walz is a pretty good one. His big accomplishment this term was introducing a bill that was eventually passed into law which bans members of Congress from insider trading...which was apparently a thing.
    Let it go. Let it go. The rest of the country has moved on. So should you.

'

The rug was hysterical. Off the charts.

He was so clean (legally) for so long, then boom. House of Cards.
    *******http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/cbsnews/2006/01/11/image1202860x.jpg********

He deserves enshrinement in the Bad Toupee Hall of Fame, if such a thing exists.
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Deport Right Wing Nuts brookyone's Avatar

I'm gonna have to sustain my anti Nut Job Bachmann agenda as a lifelong resident of her district...who's duly embarrassed by her election. Since she continues to broadcast her severe idiocy and apparently plans to remain in politics. It's my duty as an American and Minnesotan.
    Minnesota Hockey

lucky penguin

The rest of the country doesn't still have her as a representative.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Quote Originally Posted by brookyone View Post
    I'm gonna have to sustain my anti Nut Job Bachmann agenda as a lifelong resident of her district...who's duly embarrassed by her election. Since she continues to broadcast her severe idiocy and apparently plans to remain in politics. It's my duty as an American and Minnesotan.
    at least now we get to share her with the Swiss.....
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Thread Information