Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Politicians We Admire

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Life's a lot easier when you whip out the broad brush and start assuming that they all are just another politician, isn't it?
    I watched his hearing for his crimes. Yeah, I tuned into CSPANII or whatever channel it was on. It was a sad day. A guy who claimed to be in a party just so he could vote the way he wanted and have his voice heard? No matter how independent it was? Too good to be true! Wait, it was.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I watched his hearing for his crimes. Yeah, I tuned into CSPANII or whatever channel it was on. It was a sad day. A guy who claimed to be in a party just so he could vote the way he wanted and have his voice heard? No matter how independent it was? Too good to be true! Wait, it was.
      To my way of thinking, he was considerably worse than "just another politician." And one of the worst rugs in recorded history.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        To my way of thinking, he was considerably worse than "just another politician." And one of the worst rugs in recorded history.
        '

The rug was hysterical. Off the charts.

He was so clean (legally) for so long, then boom. House of Cards.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If your only exposure to Chris Christie has been through the national media, then you are viewing a charicature....left-wing clown, right-wing savior, neither really fits.

Christie was a federal prosecutor before his election to governor. It shows. He does his homework and prepares meticulously. He knows the facts and the arguments and presents them in a coherent, organized, persuasive manner.

Since he has to convince the jury to vote in his favor, he rarely demeans those "on the other side." Typically he acknowledges all the valid points they make in their arguments, and then sets out on his rebuttal, as to why those points need to be set aside in order to deliver the proper verdict.

In other words, he manages politics in a way similar to the way he would manage a case in the courtroom. It works. He's been effective as a governor because he knows how to put together a winning argument, and he knows how to deliver it as well.

For example, during contract negotiations he'd say "teachers are great, teachers are wonderful, and we can't go overboard and pay them anything out of line with what we'd pay others. It's about overall budgetary balance." and he'd get the concessions he needed.

The difference between NJ and CA is instructive. The Feds offered CA some money to build high-speed rail, and Gov Brown accepted. The Feds offered NJ lots of money to build another tunnel under the Hudson to Manhattan, and Christie said "no thanks, we cannot afford all the strings attached." (all the cost overruns are billed to the state, not to the Feds) and he had enough sense to set priorities and live within them.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

A lot to like there. Thanks for clueing us in. If he were a 2nd rate "comedian" or a broken down wrassler, he'd have a great political future in Minnesota. Maybe he can overcome those handicaps.
            Calling Michele Bachmann 2nd-rate seems awfully generous.

I'd say Minnesota's 1st district rep Tim Walz is a pretty good one. His big accomplishment this term was introducing a bill that was eventually passed into law which bans members of Congress from insider trading...which was apparently a thing.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              Calling Michele Bachmann 2nd-rate seems awfully generous.

I'd say Minnesota's 1st district rep Tim Walz is a pretty good one. His big accomplishment this term was introducing a bill that was eventually passed into law which bans members of Congress from insider trading...which was apparently a thing.
              Let it go. Let it go. The rest of the country has moved on. So should you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                '

The rug was hysterical. Off the charts.

He was so clean (legally) for so long, then boom. House of Cards.
                *****http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/cbsnews/2006/01/11/image1202860x.jpg******

He deserves enshrinement in the Bad Toupee Hall of Fame, if such a thing exists.
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

I'm gonna have to sustain my anti Nut Job Bachmann agenda as a lifelong resident of her district...who's duly embarrassed by her election. Since she continues to broadcast her severe idiocy and apparently plans to remain in politics. It's my duty as an American and Minnesotan.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The rest of the country doesn't still have her as a representative.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                      I'm gonna have to sustain my anti Nut Job Bachmann agenda as a lifelong resident of her district...who's duly embarrassed by her election. Since she continues to broadcast her severe idiocy and apparently plans to remain in politics. It's my duty as an American and Minnesotan.
                      at least now we get to share her with the Swiss.....
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I'm not touchin' that.

Comment

And I'll continue to vote for her.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            The difference between NJ and CA is instructive. The Feds offered CA some money to build high-speed rail, and Gov Brown accepted. The Feds offered NJ lots of money to build another tunnel under the Hudson to Manhattan, and Christie said "no thanks, we cannot afford all the strings attached." (all the cost overruns are billed to the state, not to the Feds) and he had enough sense to set priorities and live within them.
                            Chris Christie lied about the size of NJ's share of the costs of the ARC tunnel in order to justify killing a badly needed infrastructure project (which would have, among other benefits, raised NJ home values by an estimated $18 billion, in addition to the obvious benefit of vastly improving the day-to-day lives of tens of thousands of commuters) so that he could take the money previously allocated to it and use it to bail out the state's bankruptcy-bound highway trust fund without taking the politically unpopular but entirely reasonable step of raising NJ's gas tax, which is the third-lowest in the country and hasn't been raised for 23 years.

I've considered moving back across the river for personal reasons, but the opportunity to help vote Christie out of office is an enticing fringe benefit.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Granted, you have that responsibility. I gotta say that Bachmann never made me sick the way Caribou Barbie did. For one thing, I believe Bachmann believes what she's saying, whereas Dickless Cheney was just a grubby grifter who lucked into a big payday. For another, Bachmann seemed to have a sense of humor which indicates, despite her mental handicaps, at least a tinge of self-awareness. The Alaska Disasta had no sense of humor whatever.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                at least now we get to share her with the Swiss.....
                                I believe she declined her Swiss citizen status about twenty minutes after the photo op. I'm a Swiss citizen...wait...no I'm not. I half expect her to blow a raspberry with that finger rolling over the lips thing every time she speaks. I heard she inquired how they put all those holes in their cheese.
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X