X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Politicians We Admire

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Revenue Sharing
    Wiki says despite never making more than 30K annually, when Powell's estate was settled, it was valued at 4.6 million (remember, this was in the 70's), with a million of that in racetrack stock! Funny business with racetrack stock is what brought down former Governor Otto Kerner (who was then serving as a federal judge, thanks to LBJ). He was convicted and sent to prison, where he died. IIRC, he's still the only sitting federal judge tried, convicted and imprisoned in our history. And a proud graduate of my high school.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Okay, I'm quoting Elton John here, not representing my own feelings about the person who is the subject of his quote:

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/23/el...#ixzz21ZnkHg2o
      I've seen commentary on this quote and others by elton john. He likely is quite progressive but understands the bigger picture of the cause. Also there are many progressives/liberals who genuinely want to have good relations with others regardless of political position or that persons history of confrontation. Just an observation.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        I've seen commentary on this quote and others by elton john. He likely is quite progressive but understands the bigger picture of the cause. Also there are many progressives/liberals who genuinely want to have good relations with others regardless of political position or that persons history of confrontation. Just an observation.
        Mother Bloor, I presume. Poor little progtards, genuinely wanting "good relations," but faced with "confrontation." It's enough to make one weep.

Comment

Perhaps Sir Elton, like Bono, merely is not obsessed with provincial US political infighting and merely recognizes an act of international decency and compassion? No one else [edit: previously] had acted on this scale with such decisiveness. [edit: it set a good precedent for others to follow]
          Last edited by FreshFish; 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Perhaps Sir Elton, like Bono, merely is not obsessed with provincial US political infighting and merely recognizes an act of international decency and compassion?.
            Very likely.

No one else had acted on this scale with such decisiveness.
            That's a bit of an opinion. Spend a bit of time with the Clinton Foundation before delivering your verdict http://www.clintonfoundation.org/

Also google 'elton john bill clinton' and see if you find anything.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Very likely.

That's a bit of an opinion. Spend a bit of time with the Clinton Foundation before delivering your verdict http://www.clintonfoundation.org/

Also google 'elton john bill clinton' and see if you find anything.
              Ah yes, the Clinton Foundation. Talk about "fair and balanced." This draft dodger headed out of Washington, having taken an enormous bribe to pardon Marc Rich, taking with him a suit case full of White House silverware, and we should rely on his foundation for anything other than self serving boilerplate about the fight against AIDs? As Louis B. Mayer once said: "Include me out."
              Last edited by Old Pio; 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Michelle Bachman
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  Michelle Bachman
                  Just wanted to quote this one.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Noticed Old Pio two posts down and decided I miss him. He was nearly always offensive in what seemed at first like a mean-spirited way. Maybe he was mean spirited, but he had a sizeable fund of knowledge, he was articulate, and he would state his ideas and defend them (no Bob Gray). His ideas were mostly loathsome, and he was insulting as he!!, but he was what he was. His presence in this Trump era would have made it even more entertaining.

So here's to Old Pio: may his Pios get swept this weekend.
                    Last edited by burd; 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I had the same reaction. I miss that old angry bastard. A lot.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I had the same reaction. I miss that old angry bastard. A lot.
                        Compared to Flag's lame insults, he was far more entertaining. Plus, I wonder what he'd think of Trump. Part of me thinks he'd have kept up the shtick for the good of the party, but another part tells me that he'd have seen the dotard for the fraud he is.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Compared to Flag's lame insults, he was far more entertaining. Plus, I wonder what he'd think of Trump. Part of me thinks he'd have kept up the shtick for the good of the party, but another part tells me that he'd have seen the dotard for the fraud he is.
                          flaggy is neither smart nor articulate. He just regurgitates the thoughts of known charlatans, nothing more. He's no Old Pio.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Michelle Bachman
                            ha ha ha ha ha

what a dip ****!

Comment

I would actually admire Susan if this were literally true:

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                ha ha ha ha ha

what a dip ****!
                                Check the date and the poster. It was a joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X