Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Politicians We Admire

Re: Politicians We Admire

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Very likely.

That's a bit of an opinion. Spend a bit of time with the Clinton Foundation before delivering your verdict http://www.clintonfoundation.org/

Also google 'elton john bill clinton' and see if you find anything.
    Ah yes, the Clinton Foundation. Talk about "fair and balanced." This draft dodger headed out of Washington, having taken an enormous bribe to pardon Marc Rich, taking with him a suit case full of White House silverware, and we should rely on his foundation for anything other than self serving boilerplate about the fight against AIDs? As Louis B. Mayer once said: "Include me out."
    Last edited by Old Pio; 07-26-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

Michelle Bachman

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    Michelle Bachman
    Just wanted to quote this one.

Noticed Old Pio two posts down and decided I miss him. He was nearly always offensive in what seemed at first like a mean-spirited way. Maybe he was mean spirited, but he had a sizeable fund of knowledge, he was articulate, and he would state his ideas and defend them (no Bob Gray). His ideas were mostly loathsome, and he was insulting as he!!, but he was what he was. His presence in this Trump era would have made it even more entertaining.

So here's to Old Pio: may his Pios get swept this weekend.
    Last edited by burd; 01-12-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Lucia Apologist

I had the same reaction. I miss that old angry bastard. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I had the same reaction. I miss that old angry bastard. A lot.
    Compared to Flag's lame insults, he was far more entertaining. Plus, I wonder what he'd think of Trump. Part of me thinks he'd have kept up the shtick for the good of the party, but another part tells me that he'd have seen the dotard for the fraud he is.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Compared to Flag's lame insults, he was far more entertaining. Plus, I wonder what he'd think of Trump. Part of me thinks he'd have kept up the shtick for the good of the party, but another part tells me that he'd have seen the dotard for the fraud he is.
    flaggy is neither smart nor articulate. He just regurgitates the thoughts of known charlatans, nothing more. He's no Old Pio.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    Michelle Bachman
    ha ha ha ha ha

what a dip ****!

Internet Nutcase

I would actually admire Susan if this were literally true:

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    ha ha ha ha ha

what a dip ****!
    Check the date and the poster. It was a joke.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Generic Catchy Message

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Whatever, I'd choose a bat**** crazy republican over a liberal any day of the week.
    Well this statement was certainly tested.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

Go State! Beat Cornell
    1-1-0 (0-0-0-0, t-1st B1G)

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Lucia Apologist

Iím positive he didnít vote for trump.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    I never really knew much about Joe Lieberman until his 2006 re-election campaign. I knew he was nominated as Al Gore's running mate in 2000, and I drew the obvious inference from his surname, but other than that, my only impression of him was what the British would call "a solid back-bencher," someone upon whom you could count to vote the party line.

That changed in 2006. Some out-of-staters looked for a deep-pocketed [redacted] and found him in a descendant of JP Morgan's business partner. Connecticut is a bit different in how people register to vote; you can either register as affiliated with a political party or you can register and be non-affiliated. Most people choose the latter; apparently for the main reason of not receiving campaign robocalls and literature during primary season (only people who register with a party affiliation can vote in that party's primary, which means you are on their solitication list too).

No matter what you may have felt about how we became involved in Iraq in the first place, I would hope that most people would agree that, once we were there, it made much more sense to win rather than lose! Yet we were losing. Lieberman was one of the earliest, loudest, and most forthright voices calling for the "surge" and a strategy for victory. He knew it would cost him votes in the primary, and he didn't care; he still did what he thought was right.

It tells you something about the respect that people in Connnecticut had for Senator Lieberman that he won re-election as an "Independent Democrat" so handily after losing the primary. It seems like the most common reactions were either (a) "we don't want some out-of-staters coming into our state to stir up our politics" (there was a widespread perception that Lamont was solicited and promoted by national party figures who were rabidly anti-war no matter what it might cost us in the long run); or (b) "well, if Joe is for it, it's probably a good idea."

the idea that he would be involved in a sexual scandal or corruption scandal just doesn't fit; he seems a man of genuine personal probity.

In a more conventional way, he also represents the best interests of his constituents. Insurance is a major industry in Connecticut; and it was his insistence that his constituents be protected that led to the PPACA being designed as it was.....while people talked about the "Cornhusker kickback" or the "Louisiana purchase" or the other various special "incentives" that were larded on to the bill to gain its passage, no one ridiculed Lieberman's position that the role of private insurance be preserved; lots and lots of other politicians also have constituencies that wanted to preserve private insurance, yet none of them spoke up with the forcefulness that Lieberman did, and none of them had the respect that Lieberman did to make sure that element was included.
    LMFAO how is this site free?

Thread Information