Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Politicians We Admire

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Granted, you have that responsibility. I gotta say that Bachmann never made me sick the way Caribou Barbie did. For one thing, I believe Bachmann believes what she's saying, whereas Dickless Cheney was just a grubby grifter who lucked into a big payday. For another, Bachmann seemed to have a sense of humor which indicates, despite her mental handicaps, at least a tinge of self-awareness. The Alaska Disasta had no sense of humor whatever.
    Besides, she was responsible for the shootings in Tucson and had a "******" kid, right? Or maybe not, but that's a different liberal obsession. In Bachmann's case, the deep liberal thinkers and practicing psychiatrists around here blamed her personally for the suicides of some gay kids in her district. Just like that a*shole Clinton blamed Limbaugh for Oklahoma City.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Granted, you have that responsibility. I gotta say that Bachmann never made me sick the way Caribou Barbie did. For one thing, I believe Bachmann believes what she's saying, whereas Dickless Cheney was just a grubby grifter who lucked into a big payday. For another, Bachmann seemed to have a sense of humor which indicates, despite her mental handicaps, at least a tinge of self-awareness. The Alaska Disasta had no sense of humor whatever.
      Bull****. Bachmann is in politics 100% for the attention. The only reason she's doing this and not on some reality TV show is that there's no way she could legally be described using the terms 'real' and 'wife' in the same sentence.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

I'm conservative and I think Michelle Bachmann is batsh* crazy.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          Bachmann is in politics 100% for the attention.

and this distinguishes her because other politicians are only in it 95% for the attention?

no, seriously, I'm no fan of hers, yet it does take something to get elected in most places.

Our company is rather prominent in our industry and our company president is a past president of one of our industry's most notable lobbying organizations, and so we've had several politicians in our offices (not that I ever get to meet them....hah!). She was a real dud, had no interest in what we had to say or offer, was real narrowly focused.

In my life, I've met four US Senators face-to-face. One was in high school, at some organization I can't even remember the name of, we spent a week in DC and got to meet our Senators and representatives then (met one Senator and the representative). One was when we lived in Wyoming; there are so few people there it's not hard to meet a Senator at a town meeting. I liked him (Mike Enzi), he was a mayor and seems to have done a fine journeyman's job of representing his state's interest. The other two were at fund-raisers we hosted for them. One of them was really impressive. He is a committee chair and radiates confidence and authority. The other was just in passing, not enough time to form an impression.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            Bull****. Bachmann is in politics 100% for the attention. The only reason she's doing this and not on some reality TV show is that there's no way she could legally be described using the terms 'real' and 'wife' in the same sentence.
            Gay men have used beards for thousands of years; nothing new about that.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Don't get me wrong, I don't want Bachmann and her lunatic religion within a thousand miles of the launch codes. But I think you're making my point. Bachmann is ignorant plus crazy, whereas Palin was ignorant plus perfidious.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Jimmy Carter did have one major accomplishment to his credit that is often overlooked: his deregulatory agenda. Some economists say this contribution of Carter to the 1980s boom years is often overlooked.

Not that I admired him or his Presidency ... though I must admit I did vote for him in 1976..... still, it is nice to note achievements when they are notable.

PS election trivia: Mr. Carter is the last Democratic candidate for the Presidency who was not either a lawyer or a career politician. At one time, the Democrats were quite hospitable to business; many successful businessmen wanted to "give back" to society out of gratitude for their success and the Democrats' agenda at one time was receptive to that.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  She's the perfect person to represent that district, though...
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    Whatever, I'd choose a bat**** crazy republican over a liberal any day of the week.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Whatever, I'd choose a bat**** crazy republican over a liberal any day of the week.
                      Gridlock is good.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        No.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

This counts as admirable in some ways.
                          Cornell University

Comment

nice headline, "caught hanging out"

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Yeah, no one stacks up to someone that institutes mandatory military service for an unnecessary war, begins taxing citizens based upon their income, and practically jails states that wish to leave the country.
                              This is a good bit.

Comment

People today who did not live through the Carter Presidency as young adults (or older) at the time probably can't completely comprehend the greatness of Reagan. It is a different thing to read about 16% inflation and 8% unemployment than to have the everyday experience of how hopeless and impossible the situation seemed as he prepared to take office.

One thing he did extremely well: when he solicited expert advise, he paid attention, followed it, and saw it through. It took principles and determination and consistent effort to turn around that situation.

The Wall St. Journal published a memo he received as President-elect on how to address the nation's economic problems, and it counselled

The need for a long-term point of view is essential to allow for the time, the coherence, and the predictability so necessary for success. This long-term view is as important for day-to-day problem solving as for the making of large policy decisions. Most decisions in government are made in the process of responding to problems of the moment. The danger is that this daily fire fighting can lead the policy-maker farther and farther from his goals. A clear sense of guiding strategy makes it possible to move in the desired direction in the unending process of contending with issues of the day. Many failures of government can be traced to an attempt to solve problems piecemeal. The resulting patchwork of ad hoc solutions often makes such fundamental goals as military strength, price stability, and economic growth more difficult to achieve
                                There is much more, and it makes an interesting read from today's perspective in particular.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopOpinion

Comment

Working...
                                X