X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Division 1 Commitments 2014-15

Originally posted by THEWIZARD View Post
    Harvard
    Chelsea Ziadie.............D............(Hotchkiss)....... ........ Pointe-Claire, Que./Qc
    They replaced the player that dropped them and went to Cornell. Very surprising given the large number of players for next season already identified.

Comment

Providence official commitments (goalie appears to be recrutied walk-on)

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-hocke...030714aaa.html

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
        Providence official commitments (goalie appears to be recrutied walk-on)

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-hocke...030714aaa.html
        What goalie - the 3 all appear to be forwards?

Providence continues their unstated policy of ignoring all New England players.... really hard to understand since they are actually a sought after school these days admissions wise amongst many prep school kids.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          And the pattern is, 2?
          2 can be as bad as 1
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post

Providence continues their unstated policy of ignoring all New England players.... really hard to understand since they are actually a sought after school these days admissions wise amongst many prep school kids.
            I'm sure they are not ignoring the top tier New England kids.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post

A goalie listed previously announced a commitment - in addition to the 3 forwards in the news release.

FWIW, not sure about the whole NE thing, but these are 3 quality forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                A goalie listed previously announced a commitment - in addition to the 3 forwards in the news release.

FWIW, not sure about the whole NE thing, but these are 3 quality forwards.
                I see the goalie commitment a few pages ago in the list now - possible it fell through if they are not announcing it now..... Sorry - didn't mean to suggest the forwards were not quality players if it came across that way.

I'm just baffled by the fact that Providence has so little interest in New England players and that it appears to be decreasing - only 4 on this year's roster and they are all juniors and seniors. Providence is a school that many NE prep players are interested in, but I know a large number of multi-year National Development Camp level players from strong club and/or prep school programs who tried to contact Providence and were totally ignored. Deraney has a stated preference for big, physical players and it appears he feels he can only get them from Minnesota or the hockey academies with a smattering of others. Perhaps he is preparing for the NCAA tournament against the bigger Western teams, but they have to get through Hockey East first and it isn't working - 3 years of deteriorating results show that. He was doing better when he had a better balance of New England and other players....IMHO.

Comment

I see the goalie commitment a few pages ago in the list now - possible it fell through if they are not announcing it now..... Sorry - didn't mean to suggest the forwards were not quality players if it came across that way.

I'm just baffled by the fact that Providence has so little interest in New England players and that it appears to be decreasing - only 4 on this year's roster and they are all juniors and seniors. Providence is a school that many NE prep players are interested in, but I know a large number of multi-year National Development Camp level players from strong club and/or prep school programs who tried to contact Providence and were totally ignored. Deraney has a stated preference for big, physical players and it appears he feels he can only get them from Minnesota or the hockey academies with a smattering of others. Perhaps he is preparing for the NCAA tournament against the bigger Western teams, but they have to get through Hockey East first and it isn't working - 3 years of deteriorating results show that. He was doing better when he had a better balance of New England and other players....IMHO.
                  Coach Deraney is a really nice guy at the rink when he is recruiting, with small talk of course. I have followed Providence for a few years now because he loves MN kids. Of course being a New England school, he doesn't get the top players from the west. It's hard to compete with MN, Wisco, ND, UMD & such. He probably likes bigger players because he himself is a bigger guy, but who knows. I do know that he was looking hard at New England player and passed on her. She went on to have a great freshman year this year. Big, strong player too.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                    Coach Deraney is a really nice guy at the rink when he is recruiting, with small talk of course. I have followed Providence for a few years now because he loves MN kids. Of course being a New England school, he doesn't get the top players from the west. It's hard to compete with MN, Wisco, ND, UMD & such. He probably likes bigger players because he himself is a bigger guy, but who knows. I do know that he was looking hard at New England player and passed on her. She went on to have a great freshman year this year. Big, strong player too.
                    You reinforce my point. If he can't get the better kids from Minnesota and the Upper Midwest for the reasons you mention (which makes pretty good sense), why wouldn't he recruit closer to home where he has a better chance of landing players....a mystery to me. But he has definitely fallen out of like with the local NE girls...and BTW he is indeed a very nice person.

Comment

You reinforce my point. If he can't get the better kids from Minnesota and the Upper Midwest for the reasons you mention (which makes pretty good sense), why wouldn't he recruit closer to home where he has a better chance of landing players....a mystery to me. But he has definitely fallen out of like with the local NE girls...and BTW he is indeed a very nice person.
                      Oh please. "The better kids" is exactly what he, or more appropriately Misses Roth, Thatcher, Ruzzi, have been mining from Minnesota. The "best" players from the state, in most cases, commit to the Gophers the second there is interest from Coach Frost & Co. Given the abundance of talent in the 10,000 lakes region, there are plenty of impact players to go around each year. That is not the case in New England.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Oh please. "The better kids" is exactly what he, or more appropriately Misses Roth, Thatcher, Ruzzi, have been mining from Minnesota. The "best" players from the state, in most cases, commit to the Gophers the second there is interest from Coach Frost & Co. Given the abundance of talent in the 10,000 lakes region, there are plenty of impact players to go around each year. That is not the case in New England.
                        So effectively you are saying that the first 2 (or 3) tiers of Minnesota kids are better than the first tier of New England kids, correct? So by extension the New England kids are by and large 3rd (or 4th) tier kids in Minnesota...

That's a heck of a comment coming from someone that supports a Boston program loaded with New England kids and no Minnesota kids that doesn't generally even attract the best New England kids currently... does that mean that the Shamrocks are a 4th or 5th tier team? That surprises me.

Comment

So effectively you are saying that the first 2 (or 3) tiers of Minnesota kids are better than the first tier of New England kids, correct? So by extension the New England kids are by and large 3rd (or 4th) tier kids in Minnesota...

That's a heck of a comment coming from someone that supports a Boston program loaded with New England kids and no Minnesota kids that doesn't generally even attract the best New England kids currently... does that mean that the Shamrocks are a 4th or 5th tier team? That surprises me.
                          That would be awesome if it were true but even I can't stretch Minny Hockey that far. New England has some great players. Providence prefers MN kids and Harvard prefers Assabet/ Nobles. I guess every coach has their go to region, to some extent. It's when the coach keeps doing the same thing and is losing, then the questions arise to his/ her recruiting habits.

Comment

Don't have a horse in this race, but the WCHA has players from all over - except NE. I remember looking a few weeks ago, and I remember that Ohio State had a goalie from out East, and Wisco had three or four players from NAHA (although I think one/some of them were from places like Alaska). WCHA coaching staffs are pretty diligent about finding the best players possible.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                              Don't have a horse in this race, but the WCHA has players from all over - except NE. I remember looking a few weeks ago, and I remember that Ohio State had a goalie from out East, and Wisco had three or four players from NAHA (although I think one/some of them were from places like Alaska). WCHA coaching staffs are pretty diligent about finding the best players possible.
                              Mindset of the New England girls tends to be pretty education focused. Too many VERY strong education options with good/decent hockey programs (Harvard, Cornell, BC, Clarkson, etc.) in the North East for many of them to be interested in the WCHA schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                                Mindset of the New England girls tends to be pretty education focused. Too many VERY strong education options with good/decent hockey programs (Harvard, Cornell, BC, Clarkson, etc.) in the North East for many of them to be interested in the WCHA schools.
                                Your overall point may be correct, but not too many New England girls are winding up at Clarkson.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X