Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for Wrigley? I wanted to pull off the Chicago double-header with Cubs in the afternoon and White Sox at night, but it appears MLB doesn't like to schedule teams in the same media market to home games at the same time. It only happens for six games this year and both the Cubs and White Sox are at night for all six. So, Wrigley it is.

I went to Fenway last year so I figured I might as well fit in the second oldest ballpark. Due to price it's looking like the 500 level seats but I had a few questions. Why are these so much cheaper than other parts of the park? As far as I understand Wrigley is a lot like Fenway where even if you're far from the action you're still close, yet the price doubles once you leave for any other section. I know there's some obstructed seating, but some without obstruction are actually cheaper than ones with on StubHub.

Other questions:
    1) Scalp or Stub Hub? Cubs are awful but I know prices are based more on the Wrigley experience than actual baseball. I can get the 500 level on Stub Hub for 20-25 bucks.
    2) Any food Wrigley is known for that's a must have?
    3) I know there's extremely limited parking, has anyone tried the park and ride from one of the El stations?
    4) Is it really worth $200+ to sit on a roof top and watch the game? Even if you want to drink all game, you could just buy a 500 level and still be able to buy about 20 beers with the money that it would cost just for the roof top ticket.
    My friends and I went to Wrigley last summer. Had a blast. But keep in mind that my comments are based on just this single experience, a Saturday afternoon game.

We bought scalper tickets, and didn't have a problem. There were a lot of tickets available. It was against the Brewers, so not necessarily a huge draw, although the game certainly drew fans down from Wisconsin.

We sat up in the 400's and the seats were fine. We actually got for face value, which was about $45 I recall. Not familiar with the 500 seats, but I expect you'd be in the same deck as us, just further back from the rail (probably above the tunnels for that deck). I'd go lower if I were you. We were in the first row of the 400 deck, and that was fine, but I wouldn't have wanted to be further up.

Parking is terrible. We lucked into a spot a few blocks from Wrigley. Basically it was the driveway of a business that was closed, and they were selling spots for $25/car.

I think I'd skip the rooftop, at least if this is your first game. I think it's worth it to go into Wrigley itself.

Stay for the after party. A lot of bars in the neighborhood that are fun to hang out in!
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Certaintly wasn't planning on doing the roof tops. I don't think I'd ever do them. I was just amazed that someone would pay $200 to sit outside the stadium.

The game I'm looking at right now is against Pittsburgh, so shouldn't be too big of a draw.

I plan on trying to hit up Wrigleyville, but that'll depend on time. This is probably going to be a one day trip from MI.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Other questions:
        1) Scalp or Stub Hub? Cubs are awful but I know prices are based more on the Wrigley experience than actual baseball. I can get the 500 level on Stub Hub for 20-25 bucks.
        2) Any food Wrigley is known for that's a must have?
        3) I know there's extremely limited parking, has anyone tried the park and ride from one of the El stations?
        4) Is it really worth $200+ to sit on a roof top and watch the game? Even if you want to drink all game, you could just buy a 500 level and still be able to buy about 20 beers with the money that it would cost just for the roof top ticket.
        The El is the best way to get there. It's crowded after, but it's better than parking. I've been to Wrigley 8 or 9 times. Parked once. Never again.

Rooftop not worth, unless you want to waste money so you can say you've done it. But if you sit on the rooftop - you haven't actually been to Wrigley.

Food at Wrigley is typical ballpark food. Nothing must-have that I can think of.

Comment

Seating in Wrigley can be very hit and miss... Most of the Upper Deck seats are fine... The 1st few rows of the 400s are actually some of the best "Upper Deck" baseball seats I've come across... You will have to deal with posts in front of you in the 500s, but that will vary based on locations... Overall, the upper deck should be fine for a visit... Just be aware that there is no concourse for the upper deck, so you will have to have a full food/drink selection... There are small, portable stands that are somewhat close, but they are very limited options... Also, if it's a good crowd, things can get tight coming/going from up there... Just an FYI, some of the Infield/Outfield Terrace seats (upper 200-level) are downright terrible.... You are way back and under the upper deck... You may see what's in front of you, but you might not be able to follow balls hit in the air due to the overhang in addition to having various posts in your way...

The market for Cubs tickets is very soft right now... I would suggest StubHub... If you can wait till day of the game, you can find some very good values... Bleacher seating is also a good place to watch the game... You would be restricted to the area in the bleachers though, and they are General Admission seats...

Avoid driving to Wrigleyville at all costs... Parking is a pain and is very costly ($25-30)... I live in the Southwest suburbs and would either take a METRA train into downtown Chicago and then get on a CTA Red-line train in Chicago or I would drive to Midway airport, park there ($5 parking) and take the CTA Orange-line train to downtown and then pick up the CTA Red-line to Wrigleyville....
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Snagged a couple 400 level tickets for this Friday's game against the Pirates for 24.00 each. 6th row up the third base line, so it shouldn't be terrible.

Looking at driving to Midway and taking the Orange Line. Couple questions: Any chance the Park n' Ride fills up by 11-noonish CT? How's traffic in general around Chicago at that time of day? I seem to recall it's not horrible but that might be terribly off base. We plan on just buying a couple day passes for the El/CTA to get us from Orange line at Midway to Millenium (assume this is the downtown station) for the Red line Wrigleyville.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Snagged a couple 400 level tickets for this Friday's game against the Pirates for 24.00 each. 6th row up the third base line, so it shouldn't be terrible.

Looking at driving to Midway and taking the Orange Line. Couple questions: Any chance the Park n' Ride fills up by 11-noonish CT? How's traffic in general around Chicago at that time of day? I seem to recall it's not horrible but that might be terribly off base. We plan on just buying a couple day passes for the El/CTA to get us from Orange line at Midway to Millenium (assume this is the downtown station) for the Red line Wrigleyville.
              Traffic around lunch time should be fairly driveable... It may be heavy and slow you down at times, but you should be ok overall... The park and ride lot can fill up possibly, but people also come and go throughout the day... If for some reason that is full, there is another lot at the next stop (51st Street and Pulaski Road).... It has a large parking lot and only seems to get to 80% capacity... It's about a 5 minute drive from the Midway station and both lots are $5...

Once on the "L" you won't actually be going into the "Loop"... You transfer to the Red Line at the Roosevelt Station, which is the last one before entering the "Loop"... It's no cost to transfer to the trains on a different line... Just be sure to buy tickets for each way when you arrive for the day... Trying to use the vending machines at Wrigley after the game will be a pain in the ***... Also, don't be afraid to walk a few blocks north to the Sheridan station after the Cubs game... It will make getting out of Wrigleyville much easier since you get on the train ahead of everyone at the stadium...

Comment

If you're looking to save some bucks, I found this site where you can find places to park and eat and such. I had him on the radio show I produce on the weekends.

http://www.ballparkeguides.com/
                Twitter: DanMountSports
                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                  If you're looking to save some bucks, I found this site where you can find places to park and eat and such. I had him on the radio show I produce on the weekends.

http://www.ballparkeguides.com/
                  Thanks! I'll definitely be taking advantage of it.

RaceBoarder, maybe you don't know how it works but I'll ask just in case. I see on the CTA site that it's $5 for a card, $10 for an all-day pass, and $3 for the single ride plus transfer. Are these separate or combined? Like is an all-day actually $15 because you have to pay the $5 for a new card plus the all-day fee, or is it separate? It seems like buying multiple single rides would be easier since it sounds like I would just need the one transfer, but then I would only be able to have one ride on the card at a time and would need to fight everyone for the vending machine to purchase the ride back at Wrigley.

I think unlimited might be the best way to go then just for times sake, because purchasing a card and then loading other rides onto it just ends up equaling ten anyway, which is what I would have to do to avoid the lines at Wrigley. I sound like such a n00b right now. I did it fine in LA, it's just a day pass there was only $5 so I didn't have to try to weigh cost with efficiency.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Thanks! I'll definitely be taking advantage of it.

RaceBoarder, maybe you don't know how it works but I'll ask just in case. I see on the CTA site that it's $5 for a card, $10 for an all-day pass, and $3 for the single ride plus transfer. Are these separate or combined? Like is an all-day actually $15 because you have to pay the $5 for a new card plus the all-day fee, or is it separate? It seems like buying multiple single rides would be easier since it sounds like I would just need the one transfer, but then I would only be able to have one ride on the card at a time and would need to fight everyone for the vending machine to purchase the ride back at Wrigley.

I think unlimited might be the best way to go then just for times sake, because purchasing a card and then loading other rides onto it just ends up equaling ten anyway, which is what I would have to do to avoid the lines at Wrigley. I sound like such a n00b right now. I did it fine in LA, it's just a day pass there was only $5 so I didn't have to try to weigh cost with efficiency.
                    Ah, I gotcha... Yea, I forgot that they offer the day pass if you get a VENTURE card... That's a solid option....

Also, just an FYI, expect the parking pay boxes to be out of paper and/or ink for your receipt at the CTA station... You pay for parking and then are supposed to put the receipt on your dash to show your payment... About half the time, the pay boxes won't give you a receipt though... Just be sure to get your car within 12 hours or so... I would hate to see you get a ticket, but that's the city of Chicago for ya...

Comment

Yesterday was a success. The night before the forecast called for overcast skies and a chance of rain, but the morning of it wasn't supposed to rain at all and ended up being a perfectly sunny day. Started a little behind schedule so we got to Midway about 45 minutes later than I wanted but no big deal. After driving around the park and ride and realizing there were no regular spots left (just monthly and handicapped) we were looking up how to get to the next stop when some TSA workers got off their shift and left so a few spots opened up. Not sure why they didn't have monthly passes or a seperate employee parking lot, but whatever. Got our tickets, took the El to Addison and spent about an hour around Wrigleyville before going in the stadium.

The concourse feels like a basketball or hockey arena because it's closed off, much like Fenway. The 200 level seats were interesting because it almost had an indoor feel with the overhang of the upperdeck. So much so they have a scoreboard for the fans in the back.

You guys were right, it would be one heck of a walk up to the seats. The signs keep pointing the 400s up and at one point splits the sections off. I missed that one a couple times and had to make a U-turn because I went Pavlov's dog and just kept walking up without looking. I did think it was funny the luxury suites make people go on the cat walks above the 200 level fans to enter. Had a prohibition era back-alley speakeasy feel to it.

Concessions weren't busy, just took forever to walk back down. There was actually a hot dog stand right outside our section, but we wanted the souvenir cups so that took most of the time. I am now ready to declare the Wrigley Field Chicago Dog the greatest concession item I have ever eaten. Possibly a little pricey at 6.75 but an unlimited amount of quality toppings makes the deal worth it. I actually put some extra peppers in a napkin to bring with me as a side snack once I finished the dog.

Sorta funny story, I bit into the dog and the juice from the tomato and peppers exploded onto the older gentleman in front of me. I froze for a good five seconds hoping he wouldn't notice and turn around Luckily the wind had picked up and he had put a windbreaker on so I think that helped shield the spray.

Great game overall, Cubs won 6-3, three home runs, a couple reviews, one of which I'm still not sure what actually happened on the play. Runner was on third, Rizzo swung and missed on strike three and the ball got away. Pirates catcher decides to argue instead of get the ball, and runner on third scores. The Pirates then challenge, Rizzo is still called out but they made the runner go back to third. Also missed the tradition of the Bleacher Bums throwing the home run ball back while we were in line for hot dogs, but got to see Ernie Banks sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, so I think that made up for it.

The extra peppers didn't seem like such a hot idea this morning, though.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Thinking of going to Atlanta this year (I know, they have a new stadium next year). I know the stadium is do-able without a car, but what about seeing other stuff in the city? Would like to avoid Atlanta traffic when possible. Where are the nice seats at Turner Field? Has anyone been? Which side is in the sun for afternoon games?

edit: picture on Wiki looks like first base is shaded.
                        Last edited by jen; 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                          Thinking of going to Atlanta this year (I know, they have a new stadium next year). I know the stadium is do-able without a car, but what about seeing other stuff in the city? Would like to avoid Atlanta traffic when possible. Where are the nice seats at Turner Field? Has anyone been? Which side is in the sun for afternoon games?

edit: picture on Wiki looks like first base is shaded.
                          I've been to Turner a lot. Do not sit in the outfield during the summer. You will die. Tho they do have cool mist stations above the sections. First base is your best bet.

Turner field is downtown so you should be able to do stuff without a car. You just won't be able to go much further out. Their transit system isn't that great beyond the city core.

Check the MARTA Web site to get an idea of where you can go.
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            I've been to Turner a lot. Do not sit in the outfield during the summer. You will die. Tho they do have cool mist stations above the sections. First base is your best bet.

Turner field is downtown so you should be able to do stuff without a car. You just won't be able to go much further out. Their transit system isn't that great beyond the city core.

Check the MARTA Web site to get an idea of where you can go.
                            Thanks - knew about the MARTA shuttle, so we will definitely do that. Not sure what else we are planning in Atlanta at this point.

Have you sat in the club infield/reserved section at all? It looks comparable to the club level at Miller Park (and there's an air-conditioned concourse, I think?). The weather's kind of a big concern for my mom - she can't really sit in the sun, so access to an air-conditioned concourse would be perfect. Not sure about ticket availability, though - it says they sell them as season tickets, and then whatever's left goes to individual tickets (I don't imagine the Brewers are a big draw).

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              Thanks - knew about the MARTA shuttle, so we will definitely do that. Not sure what else we are planning in Atlanta at this point.

Have you sat in the club infield/reserved section at all? It looks comparable to the club level at Miller Park (and there's an air-conditioned concourse, I think?). The weather's kind of a big concern for my mom - she can't really sit in the sun, so access to an air-conditioned concourse would be perfect. Not sure about ticket availability, though - it says they sell them as season tickets, and then whatever's left goes to individual tickets (I don't imagine the Brewers are a big draw).
                              You should be able to get lower deck seats far enough back to be under the upper deck and in the shade. The concourse behind first base around to third is enclosed. Not air-conditioned tho.

I've never sat in any more expensive seats than those.

If you do get a car, go to Chattanooga and catch a minor league game. Pretty fun and really close.

A bit farther but even more awesome is Asheville, NC.
                              Last edited by JF_Gophers; 01-27-2015, 10:32 AM.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Only been to a few. Miller Park and Target Field of course. Old County Stadium. Also went to the O.Co for the playoffs in 2013.

Comment

Working...
                                X