X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2012-13 - Season 24

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
    Who is the 4th? I know Kaye, Beadow and Calabrese are out according to Emery on Behind the bench.

My guess would be maybe Mike Grace.... but that's just my guess.
    Jim Reisdorf
    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Grace. Not sure why. Probably something to do with the 1st cheapshot of last Saturday night.

Comment

Channel 5 game preview.

http://www.wptz.com/Clash-of-Cadets-...z/-/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
          Grace. Not sure why. Probably something to do with the 1st cheapshot of last Saturday night.
          Any idea as to who will be joining Nick Jensen as a forward playing as a defenseman tomorrow if Grace can't go? That's assuming they keep Jensen at the blue line. I don't see why they wouldn't given his performance in Oswego.

Comment

Cards take on No. 1 again {Article courtesy of the Plattsburgh Press-Republican 12/7/2012}

Be sure to check out the Video!

Plattsburgh State took down the No.1 team in Division III men’s hockey last week.

Now the Cardinals will try to do it all over again.

Fresh off a road win over Oswego, Plattsburgh hosts the new No. 1 in the USCHO.com Division III Men’s Poll, Norwich, tonight in both teams’ final game of the first semester.

“It takes two great efforts to play the two No. 1 teams right back-to-back,” Plattsburgh defenseman Paul Puglisi said. “But it’s good, too, just kind of keeping that same intensity up. You know what it took last game, so you know what it’s going to take again.”

Norwich (9-0) went on the road last weekend, beating Skidmore 7-3 and Castleton 2-1. Travis Janke (5-12-17) is tied for sixth in the country in points per game, and Colin Mulvey is another scoring threat, with eight goals and eight assists so far.

The Cadets rank in the top 10 in both scoring offense and scoring defense, and their power play is eighth in the country with a 27.8 percent success rate.

“Norwich, like Oswego, has a big senior class,” Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. “The forwards are really explosive like Oswego’s. One thing we want to do is don’t give momentum by taking penalties. We can’t get into the box and let them get momentum going by getting on the power play.

“They forecheck well, so it’s a real good college-hockey style of hockey. They play hard without the puck.”

Plattsburgh lost to the Cadets 3-0 in last year’s PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout and later tied them 4-4.

The seventh-ranked Cardinals (7-2-1) are currently shorthanded on defense. They started the Oswego game with five true blueliners, and then an already banged-up Mike Grace got hurt and missed part of the game. Forward Nick Jensen switched to defense for that game.

Emery said Brandon Beadow and Anthony Calabrese will both still be out this week. Whether Jensen has to play defense again will depend on the availability of Preston Kaye, who has missed the last eight games. Emery said that will probably be a “game-time decision.”

The undermanned defense helped hold the high-scoring Lakers to just one goal.

“So we know what it’s going to take. It’s going to be another hard-working game against a great team,” Puglisi said. “But just knowing that Chewy (goalie Mathieu Cadieux) is going to be pretty rock solid back there helps out our confidence a lot, too.”

The Oswego game could prove to be a turning point for the Cardinals. They tied Cortland the night before, leading Emery to say they still needed to find their identity. He also questioned the leadership.

Puglisi, a senior captain, was one who took notice.

“Yeah, absolutely. Being one of the leaders, not only on the defense but just for the team, I feel like when he calls you out, I mean, you need to really step up,” Puglisi said. “So him calling us out, that makes me really kind of perk up and listen, know I gotta turn it around.”

Plattsburgh sometimes dresses nine or 10 freshmen, along with a handful of sophomores, so Emery said it’s not surprising it’s taking some time for the team to figure out its identity. He and Puglisi both said the Cardinals took a step in the right direction against Oswego.

“So as far as establishing our identity, I think it’s going to take more than one game to really establish it,” Puglisi said. “But I think we’re on our way.”

Email Courtney Lewis: clewis@pressrepublican.com
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Cardinals drop close game to No. 1 Cadets {Article courtesy of the Plattsburgh Press-Republican 12/8/2012}

Kyle Thomas scored a power-play goal on the rush in Friday’s second period, and that was enough to give Norwich a win.

Matic Marinsek denied all 27 of Plattsburgh State’s shots as the Cadets earned a 1-0 victory in nonconference men’s hockey at Stafford Ice Arena.

Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery didn’t think his team showed enough grit.

“I don’t think we fought that hard,” Plattsburgh coach Bob Emery said. “I thought we were watching too much in the first two periods. Our forwards gotta start playing with more sense of urgency.

“I thought in the third period was when we finally started playing with some sense of urgency, and we got some good goal-scoring chances.”

The seventh-ranked Cardinals closed the first semester with a 7-3-1 record. Two of their losses were to ranked teams, including No. 1 Norwich, but they were also upset by Geneseo and settled for a tie against Cortland. They stand second in the SUNY Athletic Conference, one point behind Oswego.

“I don’t like the makeup of our team at all,” Emery said. “We need to find more role players. And that’s probably our fault as coaches.

“I think the makeup of our team is real soft, and we gotta find some guys that are willing to battle and fill that third- and fourth-line role.”

Friday’s game featured back-and-forth action, with both goalies making some tough saves.

The Cardinals had a good chance to take the lead late in the first period, when Luke Baleshta received the puck out front. He made a move but didn’t fool Marinsek, who made the stop.

Norwich (10-0) had an opportunity to break the scoreless tie in the second when Thomas sped into the offensive zone after the puck and sent a diagonal pass to Pier-Olivier Cotnoir. Plattsburgh’s Mathieu Cadieux turned him away.

Later there were rushes at both ends, and while the Cardinals missed the net, Thomas beat Cadieux from the right side to put the Cadets in front.

Plattsburgh didn’t put a shot on goal in the first seven minutes of third, but it ended up outshooting Norwich in the period. Cadieux went to the bench in the closing minutes, but the Cardinals couldn’t capitalize on the extra attacker.

“Oh boy, that was a great hockey game,” Norwich coach Mike McShane said. “Usually a 1-0 game is boring for fans, but that was up-and-down and (there was) great goaltending by both goalies.

“I mean, we had a lot of chances to score to go up a couple. And they did too. And they peppered our goalie at the end, and he just stood tall. And our defense played well.”

Cadieux finished with 25 saves.

Plattsburgh defenseman Preston Kaye returned to the lineup after missing eight games with an injury, which meant that Nick Jensen moved back to forward — he was pressed into duty as a blueliner in the last game.

The Cardinals are off until hosting the Cardinal Classic Jan. 4 and 5. Emery said more players will need to be willing to play blue-collar hockey in the second semester.

“Guys come in the office all the time and they want to know how they can be everyday players,” he said. “We’re looking for guys that battle and win 50-50 pucks and get in on the forecheck and play like a role player.”
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Sounds like Emery has the crying towel out for psychological purposes.

His team battled hard - it was a great game, and the boys should be proud of the effort. It could just as easily been a 0-0 tie. I know Bob is a master of psychology, however. I thought the effort against Oswego was excellent and this wasn't far off. Good luck to the Cards the rest of the way. See you in March somewhere, I'm sure.

...a work in progress...
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post

His team battled hard - it was a great game, and the boys should be proud of the effort. It could just as easily been a 0-0 tie. I know Bob is a master of psychology, however. I thought the effort against Oswego was excellent and this wasn't far off. Good luck to the Cards the rest of the way. See you in March somewhere, I'm sure.

...a work in progress...
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post

...a work in progress...
                    For sure, but he seems to have a lot of newer skill players who may just need to grind it in the end or they will be in suits or a Curry uniform....work in progress,

Comment

Very exciting game between 2 very good hockey teams that could of gone either way. The attendance was like you could see for an NCAA game or Middlebury/Norwich 3 or 4 years ago. But I was very impressed by the Cards score board and video screen. I have never seen a D1or D3 team with one like that. In reference to Plattsburgh I noticed that the city has had a lot of economic development as you get for the interstate that you don't see much of in Vermont.
                      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Great observation, Hawk, I think you should move there.

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                        Very exciting game between 2 very good hockey teams that could of gone either way. The attendance was like you could see for an NCAA game or Middlebury/Norwich 3 or 4 years ago. But I was very impressed by the Cards score board and video screen. I have never seen a D1or D3 team with one like that. In reference to Plattsburgh I noticed that the city has had a lot of economic development as you get for the interstate that you don't see much of in Vermont.
                        Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post

...a work in progress...
                          It seems to me the Coach Emery needs to motivate his players in a different way. Telling them everything they are not is just too negative, even if it supposedly psychology to say the other team didn't beat the "Better Team" (Plattsburgh). I thought the Cards played a great game, Cadieux was superman in goal and with the short sheet of ice, I thought the Cards definately outplayed the Cadets for 1 1/2 periods. But, the Cadets are better conditioned and played that one shift just right to get the only goal. Congratulations to both teams, thanks for the memories.
                          There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

I saw way to much of Plattsburgh trying to carry the puck the length of the ice. No dumping and chasing, which has been a bread and butter of the team for years. The Plattsburgh player would continuously get by the first defender only to meet a wall of two more defenders who would inevitably break up the rush.

I guess I'm saying I didn't see a ton of team work in setting up the offense. One guy going coast-to-coast isn't going to get it done against Norwich...maybe that's what Emery was referring to. I thoguht skill levels were nearly equal. Plattsburgh's puck movement on the PP was not as good as Norwich's. Goaltending was a wash and I thought the squads defensively were a wash. The difference between the two teams? Plattsburgh failed to finish off a 2 on 1 shorthanded break which led to a converted 3 on 2 power play rush the other way (through the five-hole...).
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95
                            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I don't think I would be as harsh on the team. I think one mistake cost them. I agree with the Norwich fan that this game could have gone either way. Having said that, I know they are a young team and are still that "work in progress" but I think once they find their identity, they will be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
                                I don't think I would be as harsh on the team. I think one mistake cost them. I agree with the Norwich fan that this game could have gone either way. Having said that, I know they are a young team and are still that "work in progress" but I think once they find their identity, they will be alright.
                                This is standard Emery after a loss. It can be great psychology or it can be really disheartening, depending on the makeup of the team. If there's a bunch of players who felt that they worked their a**es off, not giving them some props could really cause them to be discouraged. If they are a pugnacious bunch, they may get angry and work even harder. You have to know your group. When I was teaching, if a class had a poor exam, it was the same question - do you say, "wow that was a lot tougher than I thought it would be, and you made a good effort and didn't quite get it," or "you really blew it - you need to work harder, because I know if you had you would have gotten better grades." You have to know your audience - I assume Bob does. As I said before, there was very little to be ashamed of that I could see.

Yes, Plattsburgh probably tried too many end-to-end one man efforts, but that's kind of a product of playing on that short ice surface. I know that there were architectural and infrastructure problems in adding another 15' to the ice surface, but I think that playing so many games on a short rink leads to some bad habits against teams that are used to a full length rink.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X