Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Stock Market thread: BUY! BUY! BUY! Sell, sell, sell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Stock Market thread: BUY! BUY! BUY! Sell, sell, sell...

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    This is a good time to get back in oil, as many of the companies are coming off a low
    A year ago they were coming off of a low, now they've risen a bit since then (CVX has done well for me). With the way oil prices have risen a lot recently, plus the fact that supply is actually high for this time of year, a lot of people are wondering if the price may dip a little in the immediate future, which would affect those companies' stock.s

As for me, I'm currently heavily blue-chip: INTC, KFT, PEP, GE, CVX, COP, JNJ, PCG, MSFT, etc. I should definitely move towards more growth stocks, I will admit, but with the way the market has been so risk-on risk-off the past few years you're really playing the market moves as a whole than you are the moves in individual stocks or industries. (Not to say every single stock moves in tandem, but moreso than usual.) Given that, blue chips have less downside when the market as a whole moves. That said, we will get out of that at some point and it would make sense for me to be more growth-oriented when that occurs. Plus, those stocks I mentioned are dividend heavy, and while that makes sense now in an era of little yields on savings or bonds, if dividend taxes go up that could push investors away from them and result in a price hit.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      Once again the sandwich heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!
      Soy! Soy!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        A year ago they were coming off of a low, now they've risen a bit since then (CVX has done well for me). With the way oil prices have risen a lot recently, plus the fact that supply is actually high for this time of year, a lot of people are wondering if the price may dip a little in the immediate future, which would affect those companies' stock.s

As for me, I'm currently heavily blue-chip: INTC, KFT, PEP, GE, CVX, COP, JNJ, PCG, MSFT, etc. I should definitely move towards more growth stocks, I will admit, but with the way the market has been so risk-on risk-off the past few years you're really playing the market moves as a whole than you are the moves in individual stocks or industries. (Not to say every single stock moves in tandem, but moreso than usual.) Given that, blue chips have less downside when the market as a whole moves. That said, we will get out of that at some point and it would make sense for me to be more growth-oriented when that occurs. Plus, those stocks I mentioned are dividend heavy, and while that makes sense now in an era of little yields on savings or bonds, if dividend taxes go up that could push investors away from them and result in a price hit.
        I don't think the taxes will push people away from dividends, but it will give them more reason to ex-dividend-trade, since the rules currently state you have to hold the stock for 2 months in a 4-month window (where ex-dividend is the centerpoint) in order to qualify, and with more ease in online trading, after-hours will be more volatile than ever. Also, some dividends (such as REITs) don't qualify at all. Also, I would think people would be less apt to hold a stock for over a year, since wouldn't the long term gain discounted rate be gone?

Comment

More overreacting about Europe!

Comment

In this case does "Europe" mean the frogs are going to elect a red who will then doom the Euro?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              In this case does "Europe" mean the frogs are going to elect a red who will then doom the Euro?
              No clue. All I meant was that since some news came out of Europe (mostly debt issues, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8FN5FE20120423 ), that means that American stocks are now practically obligated to tank.

Comment

Wait until some really, truly bad news comes out of Europe, which is really just a matter of when, not if, given how things area heading in the Old World. Things'll really get interesting.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Wal-Mart with some bribes, and here come all the small business people on their high horses.

Comment

Wal-Mart with some bribes, and here come all the small business people on their high horses.
                    Don't care, my individual stock portfolio currently contains only 3 retail stocks, Walmart isn't one of them, and I'm content with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      Don't care, my individual stock portfolio currently contains only 3 retail stocks, Walmart isn't one of them, and I'm content with that.
                      The only retail I have is American Eagle.

Comment

The only retail I have is American Eagle.
                        I have personally purchased Costco and Amazon, I have some Target stock that was a (multi-year) gift from my grandparents when I was growing up.

Comment

I have personally purchased Costco and Amazon, I have some Target stock that was a (multi-year) gift from my grandparents when I was growing up.
                          Retail doesn't do hot enough for me. I've been sticking to other sectors, some spec plays, but also some solid things. Top five is CRT, SCCO, SB, AEO, and VZ.

Comment

Retail doesn't do hot enough for me. I've been sticking to other sectors, some spec plays, but also some solid things. Top five is CRT, SCCO, SB, AEO, and VZ.
                            I agree that retail isn't going to have any super growth in the short term but I think that both Amazon and Costco have good long term growth potential with only modest downside. That said, given my age (30), I have a fairly conservative single stock portfolio even if my asset diversification ( S/B/C 85/5/10) is considered aggressive.

Comment

I agree that retail isn't going to have any super growth in the short term but I think that both Amazon and Costco have good long term growth potential with only modest downside. That said, given my age (30), I have a fairly conservative single stock portfolio even if my asset diversification ( S/B/C 85/5/10) is considered aggressive.
                              If you don't mind me asking, what sort of other stocks do you have? I wouldn't think you'd put all your eggs into the retail basket...

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of other stocks do you have? I wouldn't think you'd put all your eggs into the retail basket...
                                About 75% of everything is in 4 Vanguard funds: An SP500 Index, a Mid Cap Growth, Small Cap Growth, and Total World Fund.

I have about 8k-10k in cash for various short term savings and as an emergency fund

I have 3 "legacy" stock holding from my parents & grandparents: Target (it was Dayton's at the time), IBM (where my father worked) and 3M. This was originally to be used to fund college or buy a house. I could liquidate them but have not seen any real reason. I also have stack of savings bonds that were purchased throughout the 80's that had the same original intent.

As for individual stocks, I have 10 and I purchased in each purchased in one batch since 2005: Amazon, Costco, Coke, Chipotle, Caribou Coffee, Berkshire Hathaway B shares, Qualcomm, Hasbro, Procter & Gamble, and Halliburton.

I am looking at purchasing Markel in the near future (by Labor Day) but I need to do some more research first.
                                Last edited by Almington; 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X