Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2012: Playoffs! Pick Your Overtime Winners!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL 2012: Playoffs! Pick Your Overtime Winners!

Torres suspended indefinitely, will meet with Shanahan in person on Friday. Hearing would have been today, but Torres requested the delay.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks the Hawks should have been beating the snot out of Torres the rest of that game last night? I know that is what the Bruins would have done. Me thinks the Hawks lack the toughness to move on to the second round.

NHL 2012: Suspension Roulette
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        ^ Twitch, it's standard operating procedure.

GLM, with a nice article on Brian Burke saying nothing to see here.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-at-woodstock/
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          Am I the only one that thinks the Hawks should have been beating the snot out of Torres the rest of that game last night? I know that is what the Bruins would have done. Me thinks the Hawks lack the toughness to move on to the second round.

NHL 2012: Suspension Roulette
          Normally I would agree and I think if it wasn't a tight game and the playoffs it would have happened. If the game had not been tight then I think someone would have challenged Torres but with the game close I don't think the Hawks wanted to risk a instigator penalty in a playoff game.
          My Four Favorite teams:
          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Watch Raffi Torres get the game winner now...
            That only happens in the EPL.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You saw what happened when Bollig tried to "respond" to Torres. Bollig was given 2 and a 10. Torres turtled. Any "response" would be me the same way all night long. The Hawks recognized that and settled down (somewhat).

You must not be familiar with the Hawks or their AHL affiliate Rockford Icehogs. They're loaded with cheap shotting "tough-guys" who have no problem being involved in dust-ups.

... BUT ... the primary sh*t stirrer from Rockford is currently serving a three game suspension for running PHX's goaltender.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                You saw what happened when Bollig tried to "respond" to Torres. Bollig was given 2 and a 10. Torres turtled. Any "response" would be me the same way all night long. The Hawks recognized that and settled down (somewhat).

You must not be familiar with the Hawks or their AHL affiliate Rockford Icehogs. They're loaded with cheap shotting "tough-guys" who have no problem being involved in dust-ups.

... BUT ... the primary sh*t stirrer from Rockford is currently serving a three game suspension for running PHX's goaltender.

Shaw, the 5'11" guy is the "primary sh*t stirrer from Rockford?"

Look, I know you're a Wings fan and Wolves fan, so maybe you're just having a little fun with that last paragraph, but Shaw is not the guy that would have taken care of Torres. The Hawks, who are being built in the Euro-soft image of the Wings, don't have that guy.

They are soft and while it looked like the NHL was trending in the direction of skill over grit, the Bruins last year and this year's playoffs have shown the Hawks to be a fatally flawed team. Grit still matters, apparently as much as ever.

We don't have that guy. End of story.

First paragraph is correct although I believe that they should have d-a-m-ned the torpedoes and kicked the crap out of Raffi. Rememeber, there is a history with Mr. torres due to his cheap-shot on Seabs last season.
                Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

*****http://dl.dropbo*****/u/40607655/pdn_crosby_original.jpg******

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien: “We’re not a team that will go down and start rolling on the ice for no reason...I’m proud of Pev for standing up on his feet, taking the cross-check to the face, and not embellishing. And that’s what I want my team to keep doing."
                    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                    2006-2007: 15-24-2
                    2007-2008: 20-20-4
                    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

• Re: NHL 2012: Playoffs! Pick Your Overtime Winners!

Based on Bradley-Terry rankings (i.e., KRACH) found here, the updated (after 4/17) most likely outcomes are:

West: LAK in 4 (44.1%), STL in 5 (40.1%), PHX in 6 (24.9%), NSH in 5 (55.3%)
                      East: NYR in 5 (41.3%), BOS in 5 (30.4%), FLA in 6 (23.1%), PHI in 4 (54.0%)

Overall winning probabilities:
                      West
                      VAN 9.80% - LAK 90.2%
                      STL 85.7% - SJS 14.3%
                      PHX 68.4% - CHI 31.6%
                      NSH 91.1% - DET 8.90%

East
                      NYR 86.7% - OTT 13.3%
                      BOS 76.1% - WAS 23.9%
                      FLA 63.2% - NJD 36.8%
                      PIT 4.48% - PHI 95.5%

As always, KRACH is not a perfect predictive system. In fact, it's not predictive at all; it's retrodictive. Home-ice advantage, momentum, and the like can not be accounted for reliably, so they are ignored.

Next Round possibilities:
                      Code:
                      -------------------------------------------
                      |WEST |                HOME               |
                      |CONF.|-----------------------------------|
                      |     | VAN | STL | PHX | NSH | DET | CHI |
                      |-----------------------------------------|
                      | |PHX|XXXXX|5.74%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                      | |---|-----------------------------------|
                      | |NSH|5.23%|2.42%|49.0%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                      |A|DET|0.51%|0.24%|4.79%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                      |W|---|-----------------------------------|
                      |A|CHI|2.65%|XXXXX|XXXXX|22.7%|2.22%|XXXXX|
                      |Y|---|-----------------------------------|
                      | |SJS|1.40%|XXXXX|XXXXX|8.04%|0.79%|4.08%|
                      | |LAK|XXXXX|77.3%|8.83%|3.72%|0.36%|XXXXX|

|EAST |                HOME               |
                      |CONF.|-----------------------------------|
                      |     | NYR | BOS | FLA | PIT | PHI | NJD |
                      |-----------------------------------------|
                      | |FLA|XXXXX|41.7%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                      | |PIT|1.87%|1.09%|0.87%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                      |A|PHI|39.8%|23.2%|18.6%|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
                      |W|---|-----------------------------------|
                      |A|NJD|24.3%|XXXXX|XXXXX|0.51%|10.8%|XXXXX|
                      |Y|---|-----------------------------------|
                      | |WAS|20.7%|XXXXX|XXXXX|0.09%|1.92%|1.17%|
                      | |OTT|XXXXX|10.2%|2.01%|0.05%|1.12%|XXXXX|
                      RPI Pep Band
                      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        ...but Shaw is not the guy that would have taken care of Torres. The Hawks, who are being built in the Euro-soft image of the Wings, don't have that guy...
                        I didn't say that Shaw would have taken care of Torres. I said he was the primary sh*t stirrer. Had Shaw not been suspended, he would have been a pest to try and draw the Yotes into starting something. I watched him twice start sh*t with Wolves players then act innocent when the linesmen come in.

As soon as the linesmen were protecting Shaw both times, both times he tried to take swings at the opposing player and wound up connecting with the linesman instead. One game he punched the linesman so hard, he got called up to the Blackhawks the next day.

There are a bunch of *holes on the Blackhawks roster who could step up in future games:
                        Bickell, Bolland, Bollig (who did and got the gate), Morin, Mayers or Shaw (suspended)

I'm pretty sure Shaw would be able to hold his own.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          I didn't say that Shaw would have taken care of Torres. I said he was the primary sh*t stirrer. Had Shaw not been suspended, he would have been a pest to try and draw the Yotes into starting something. I watched him twice start sh*t with Wolves players then act innocent when the linesmen come in.

As soon as the linesmen were protecting Shaw both times, both times he tried to take swings at the opposing player and wound up connecting with the linesman instead. One game he punched the linesman so hard, he got called up to the Blackhawks the next day.

There are a bunch of *holes on the Blackhawks roster who could step up in future games:
                          Bickell, Bolland, Bollig (who did and got the gate), Morin, Mayers or Shaw (suspended)

I'm pretty sure Shaw would be able to hold his own.

Your description of Shaw makes it sound like he might have been a Gopher at one time.

As to your other point about a-holes on the Hawks roster, it's too late for that. Torres is gone for the series. The response needed to happen last night, and the Hawks don't have that guy, or at least didn't have him dressed. Gotta win on Thursday, so the time for a pound of flesh is past.

Bollig should have pounded Torres immediately, regardless of the turtling. I mean, he's not on the Hawks roster to score 50 goals. He was brought in to replace John Scott.

As far as the other guys go, none of them stepped up last night, and knowing them like I do, that doesn't surprise me in the least. Bolland is a pest, not a goon. Bickell is an empty jersey. Morin was still in Rockford. Mayers gets about a minute and a half per game.

Trust me. I know the Hawks and they are soft. They are not the Hawks of my formative years. We don't have Manson, Grimson, Gary Nyland, Secord, Behn Wilson, Steve Smith etc, etc etc. Those guys were solid to really good players who were also tough as nails and could/would beat your a-s-s if need be. Gone are the days...

Okay, I won't hijack this thread with Hawk talk anymore.
                          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Well, if that's what those paragons of class and fair play would have done, then clearly it's what everyone should do.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Gurtholfin is my new favorite poster. Well done sir.

That Crosby picture is absolutely priceless. The poor quality of the photo-shopping actually makes it more awesome.
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
                                Well, if that's what those paragons of class and fair play would have done, then clearly it's what everyone should do.
                                They won the cup, they don't play like the canucks/habs. As far as I'm concerned they're a model team.
                                National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                                Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                                two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                                b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Working...
                                X