X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1-#59

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    The biggest problem with the defunct programs is a lack of complete records to accurately determine their point total. Plus, I don't believe we've ever been able to determine exactly all of the programs that have ever played. If I were to include the defunct programs, I would want to ensure to have all of them.
    Well if you ever want to do it, I believe I have a complete record of all the St Louis hockey team...although I'm pretty sure I provided that info to you before...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
      #52 –Robert Morris Colonials

Points earned in 2015-2016: .8273 Points
      Points earned in past five seasons: 2.20734 Points

Last Season Ranking: #53

The Colonials had a strong ’15-’16 season, finishing 24-11-4, won the AHA regular season title but lost in the AHA conference playoff title game to RIT, which cost them a second-ever trip to the national tournament. Their last losing season was ’09-’10. They lose nine seniors and return six defensemen and have eleven players signed to LOIs for next season. Continued 20+ win seasons will keep them moving up in these rankings.
      Winning your conference sure doesn't offer up many points.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        I don't know his formula, but when I did this different conferences had different weights. Winning the AHC just isn't the same as winning Hockey East or the NCHC.

Comment

The biggest problem with the defunct programs is a lack of complete records to accurately determine their point total. Plus, I don't believe we've ever been able to determine exactly all of the programs that have ever played. If I were to include the defunct programs, I would want to ensure to have all of them.
          I'd just be interested in seeing where some of the known teams fell - for instance St Louis, since they won the conference a few times, vs some of the newer or bottom teams (Penn St, Omaha, Robert Morris). Wouldn't be overly concerned with being certain to include everyone pre-1960.

That said, appreciate the effort that goes into this and enjoy reading.

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
            I'd just be interested in seeing where some of the known teams fell - for instance St Louis, since they won the conference a few times, vs some of the newer or bottom teams (Penn St, Omaha, Robert Morris). Wouldn't be overly concerned with being certain to include everyone pre-1960.

That said, appreciate the effort that goes into this and enjoy reading.
            My guess is St. Louis would fall somewhere around where we are right now. They would be way behind Omaha (who has made a few NCAA Tournaments and a Frozen Four), and probably ahead of Penn State. St. Louis never made the NCAA Tournament and won a relatively weak CCHA.

Shirtless Guy, if you don't mind, send me over St. Louis' records and I'll plug them in when I get a chance. I only have incomplete records for St. Louis, largely from their conference title seasons.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

#51 –UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE CHARGERS

Points earned in 2015-2016: .1002 Points
              Points earned in past five seasons: 0.47961 Points

Last Season Ranking: #51

The Chargers have had a rough going in the three years in the WCHA, winning 17 games but showing improvement year-over-year ’16 vs ’15 in goals, goals/game, shots/game, goals against average and penalty minutes/game. Considering they were given last rites a few years ago, the Chargers are moving in the right direction.
              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                I would guess not getting the tournament title and NCAA bid that comes with it kept the points down. Regular season titles are nice in AHC, but they don't mean a whole lot in essentially a 1 bid league.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  I would guess not getting the tournament title and NCAA bid that comes with it kept the points down. Regular season titles are nice in AHC, but they don't mean a whole lot in essentially a 1 bid league.
                  Long as conferences have the same value. Otherwise teams are double dipping. looking at the points they received winning it is almost worthless

Comment

#50 –MASSACHUSETTS MINUTEMEN

Points earned in 2015-2016: .0270 Points
                    Points earned in past five seasons: 1.03404 Points

Last Season Ranking: #50

The Minutemen had a promising start to the season, going undefeated in their first 6 games but could not sustain that success, losing 15 of their last 16 games to finish the year at 8-24-4. Coach John Micheletto was fired and Greg Carvel hired as the new coach. Carvel had some good seasons at St. Lawrence, and will need to do the same for UMass for them to avoid dropping in these rankings.
                    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

So, what's the line on Minnesota falling out of the top 10?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        An uneducated guess would be "highly unlikely".
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          An uneducated guess would be "highly unlikely".
                          Wishful thinking? Weird obsession too coming from a team with so many titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Wishful thinking? Weird obsession too coming from a team with so many titles.
                            I know burd is just poking fun, but Minnesota will not be falling out of the top 10 anytime in the next 30+ years...and realistically never. It would take three decades of terrible results from the Gophers coupled with BC, BU, DU, and Wisconsin each winning a couple titles, Michigan State probably winning 4 titles, and a combination of at least 2-3 teams sitting in the 9-12 positions each winning 4-5 titles. Even then, it would be close.

That being said, if we just looked at the past 10 seasons, Minnesota might be outside of the top 10. They would likely be behind the eight programs with national titles (MSU, BC, BU, Duluth, Yale, Union, PC, and UND). They have a national runner-up appearance, another Frozen Four appearance, six NCAA Tournament appearances, and plenty of conference hardware. Michigan would be in that mix, along with Quinnipiac, Notre Dame, and Miami. My guess is Minnesota would be in the top 10, but it would be close.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I know burd is just poking fun, but Minnesota will not be falling out of the top 10 anytime in the next 30+ years...and realistically never. It would take three decades of terrible results from the Gophers coupled with BC, BU, DU, and Wisconsin each winning a couple titles, Michigan State probably winning 4 titles, and a combination of at least 2-3 teams sitting in the 9-12 positions each winning 4-5 titles. Even then, it would be close.
                              A girl can dream . . .

Comment

A girl can dream . . .
                                I'm most interested in where UND ends up, don't really care any more about the Gophers than I do about anyone else. The list is always interesting.
                                sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Working...
                                X