X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1-#59

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
    I guess I haven't been following close enough - how is it possible to lose points? That part of the forumula bothers me - I feel as long as you're playing you should at least be holding steady.

So, if NoDak or Denver would decide to drop the sport tomorrow - how far would they drop in the formula next year (or would they be dropped completely since no longer active)?
    It would appear dropped off completely.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

I guess I haven't been following close enough - how is it possible to lose points? That part of the forumula bothers me - I feel as long as you're playing you should at least be holding steady. So, if NoDak or Denver would decide to drop the sport tomorrow - how far would they drop in the formula next year (or would they be dropped completely since no longer active)?
      Notice there are only active programs on the list, if a program stops to exist it is dropped.

I believe you can lose points if you play and lose to a team lower on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Notice there are only active programs on the list, if a program stops to exist it is dropped.

I believe you can lose points if you play and lose to a team lower on the list.
        A bad season will net you negative points.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I guess I haven't been following close enough - how is it possible to lose points? That part of the forumula bothers me - I feel as long as you're playing you should at least be holding steady.

So, if NoDak or Denver would decide to drop the sport tomorrow - how far would they drop in the formula next year (or would they be dropped completely since no longer active)?
          See the responses below:

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          This is correct. In LordofBrewtown's example, North Dakota and Denver would be dropped from the formula and no longer ranked. Of course, if North Dakota and Denver drop hockey, my guess is there wouldn't be maybe more than 3-4 programs left (if that).

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
          A bad season will net you negative points.
          I would only add that the formula does not permit a team to drop below zero total points. So, if a team had 0 points, and went 0-34-0, they would likely stay at 0 points.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            See the responses below:
            Either you are like me and have set up USCHO to put the new posts on top or you are predicting the future.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

#30 – COLGATE RAIDERS

Points earned in 2015-2016 0.0028 Points
              Points earned in past five seasons: 4.31532 Points
              Last Season Ranking: #29

The ’15-’16 season was a disappointing one for the Raiders. They finished the year 11-23-2 after coming off two consecutive years of 20+ wins and a trip to the national tournament. There is a great deal of excitement for the upcoming season – Colgate will start play in the soon-to-be completed Class of 1965 Arena, a state-of-the-art 2100 seat facility.
              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

#29 – FERRIS STATE BULLDOGS

Points earned in 2015-2016 3.2099 Points
                Points earned in past five seasons: 27.74738 Points
                Last Season Ranking: #28

The Bulldogs had a very successful ’15-’16 season, going 20-15-6, winning the WCHA playoffs and a regional game before falling one game short of the Frozen Four. Their drop in the rankings is due to another soon to be named program that had a huge rise after last season.
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Either you are like me and have set up USCHO to put the new posts on top or you are predicting the future.

Yes, I have it set up to put the new posts on top.
                  North Dakota

Comment

This is correct. In LordofBrewtown's example, North Dakota and Denver would be dropped from the formula and no longer ranked. Of course, if North Dakota and Denver drop hockey, my guess is there wouldn't be maybe more than 3-4 programs left (if that).
                    If you called this list/thread "The Greatest All-Time Current Programs" I could see you dropping teams, but you have called it "The Greatest Programs of All-Time." Just because a school dropped the sport doesn't mean that the history of that team suddenly disappears. In the case of North Dakota and Denver it would likely take many decades for most of the teams on the list to pass them in all-time greatness (if they ever did pass them). And of course there is also the question of when "All-Time" starts.

I understand not having records for every school that has had a varsity program is problematic for including them in the current list, but that should not prevent programs that you do have complete records for being on the list, even if they are now defunct. Also, there is a lot of information available for programs that have been dropped, especially for those that started playing after 1952 and most likely they could be added to your list with enough effort.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Lots of armchair quarterbacks on here ready to tell FS23 how it should be done... it must be nice to have all that help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        If you called this list/thread "The Greatest All-Time Current Programs" I could see you dropping teams, but you have called it "The Greatest Programs of All-Time." Just because a school dropped the sport doesn't mean that the history of that team suddenly disappears. In the case of North Dakota and Denver it would likely take many decades for most of the teams on the list to pass them in all-time greatness (if they ever did pass them). And of course there is also the question of when "All-Time" starts.
                        Nobody is saying it disappears. I'm simply not including them in this list. Because you apparently like semantics, "dropped" probably isn't the best word to describe what happens to those programs. I'll go with "unpublished." Although, perhaps I should have a piece in the formula for dropping your program. That's about the worst thing that can possibly happen, so maybe just take the team's points and multiply by zero. Voila...a lot of programs tied for last with zero points.

As for when "All-Time" starts, I've explained it before, and I think it is pretty clear. The formula includes every non-exhibition game (as the game was classified at the time of its playing) and recognized achievement for the published programs, including games going back to the late 19th Century. In other words..."All-Time."

Originally posted by Sean Pickett
                        I understand not having records for every school that has had a varsity program is problematic for including them in the current list, but that should not prevent programs that you do have complete records for being on the list, even if they are now defunct. Also, there is a lot of information available for programs that have been dropped, especially for those that started playing after 1952 and most likely they could be added to your list with enough effort.

Sean
                        It sounds like you are questioning my efforts here. I'll let my work speak for itself, but I certainly tried and was unable to piece together complete records for most of the defunct programs. If you have complete records for defunct programs (outside of Iona, Fairfield, and Wayne State), please send them my way. I need every game the school played (preferably including dates, but at least the season), the score, and significant achievements (e.g. conference regular season and tournament championships, all-conference selections). Thanks!

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        Lots of armchair quarterbacks on here ready to tell FS23 how it should be done... it must be nice to have all that help.
                        Well, I've been posting this list here for just about six years, so I've had a lot of "help." FWIW, that's one of the great things about message boards is that everyone gets to express their ideas.
                        North Dakota

Comment

FS23 is a lawyer. Lawyers know the caption or heading usually has no legal effect. He just assumed we all knew the same.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            FS23 is a lawyer.
                            That's not a very nice thing to say.

Comment

Well, I've been posting this list here for just about six years, so I've had a lot of "help." FWIW, that's one of the great things about message boards is that everyone gets to express their ideas.
                              Most posters on here appreciate the hard work that you have put into this over the years, myself included. On the interwebs there will always be those who complain just to complain. Of course this list was flawed from the start as everyone knows that North Dakota was and still is the GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                                Most posters on here appreciate the hard work that you have put into this over the years, myself included. On the interwebs there will always be those who complain just to complain. Of course this list was flawed from the start as everyone knows that North Dakota was and still is the GOAT.
                                ......but I thought NoDak was now Fighting Hawks?

Comment

Working...
                                X