X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1-#59

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
    I agree - it would be good to start a new thread before we start the listing and we should fill the remaining posts up.Did this help?

Well it didn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
      Well it didn't hurt.

Now the question becomes what to discuss in the last 50 or so posts?
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Now the question becomes what to discuss in the last 50 or so posts?
        Well, I'd post something, but that would still leave us about 50 short.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          Well, I'd post something, but that would still leave us about 50 short.

What would everyone like to see in the unveil? Obviously, I (along with my wonderful help) have done it in a few different ways over the last 6 seasons, but am open to suggestions on what to continue/improve/remove/etc.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

What would everyone like to see in the unveil? Obviously, I (along with my wonderful help) have done it in a few different ways over the last 6 seasons, but am open to suggestions on what to continue/improve/remove/etc.
            I like the "sentence or two" about each team about their year. To me the most useful thing is having the unveil complete before next season begins.

As far as volunteers, I'd like to suggest having one person for each conference; that person can probably give a bit more information about "their" teams. If we can find enough people, I think this might work. I'd be willing to help with ECAC schools.
            Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
            Clarkson 1990

Comment

Nothing says this has to close before another is started...
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                I like the "sentence or two" about each team about their year. To me the most useful thing is having the unveil complete before next season begins.
                I'm better at eating turd sandwiches.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Graphs and trendlines. I'm a busy man. Show me a picture. (I borrowed this speech from my bosses at work.)

Comment

I have always liked this thread. To be honest in my opinion FS23 doesn't give enough points for runner up. It's dang hard to make it to the championship game let a alone win it.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Adding a comment for the purpose of increasing the count. But I also have a question that might help get us to the post count goal. This is such a great thread and I appreciate the effort and skill in making these rankings.

How can North Dakota be such a great hockey school for so many years, being in Grand Forks? I mean, nothing against Grand Forks, but it's pretty isolated with a bitter winter climate. And North Dakota is not a very populous state. Where does the money and mystique come from. Take this as a complement, not disparaging the University, city or state. Just wondering how the heck they have the money for staff, recruiting, etc. and how they got the long term attractiveness to good recruits and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by camilo View Post
                        Adding a comment for the purpose of increasing the count. But I also have a question that might help get us to the post count goal. This is such a great thread and I appreciate the effort and skill in making these rankings.

How can North Dakota be such a great hockey school for so many years, being in Grand Forks? I mean, nothing against Grand Forks, but it's pretty isolated with a bitter winter climate. And North Dakota is not a very populous state. Where does the money and mystique come from. Take this as a complement, not disparaging the University, city or state. Just wondering how the heck they have the money for staff, recruiting, etc. and how they got the long term attractiveness to good recruits and coaches.
                        And, North Dakota sent Grant Ptulney to win a NC for the Gophers in 2002.

Comment

Speaking as an outsider - 1. A lot of national titles helps. 2. Leading the nation in attendance every year keeps the cash flow going. 3. Incredible souvenir sales. I've never been to a hockey game with a decent sized crowd (Anything over 2500, anyway) where there wasn't someone wearing NoDak gear. USHL games, Kato games, Wild games. Heck, for that matter NHL games in Arizona, Tampa, Nashville, and AHL games in Des Moines. They have captured a segment of the public in a way like Notre Dame or Packers football, where you can find their fans everywhere.

Note, however, that they recently announced they were dropping women's hockey. So while their fans are rabid, they have their limits.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            Speaking as an outsider - 1. A lot of national titles helps. 2. Leading the nation in attendance every year keeps the cash flow going. 3. Incredible souvenir sales. I've never been to a hockey game with a decent sized crowd (Anything over 2500, anyway) where there wasn't someone wearing NoDak gear. USHL games, Kato games, Wild games. Heck, for that matter NHL games in Arizona, Tampa, Nashville, and AHL games in Des Moines. They have captured a segment of the public in a way like Notre Dame or Packers football, where you can find their fans everywhere.

Note, however, that they recently announced they were dropping women's hockey. So while their fans are rabid, they have their limits.
                            Thats fine and dandy now, but I think he means how did they ever get there...alot of it was based on getting canadians to play for them in the early years and the success of Bob May's two seasons probably set them up to continue to grow (1958 2nd, 1959 1st). The Rube Bjorkman years were pretty lean in the 70s but Gino really brought them back and having a benefactor like Ralph Engelstad really helped.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Like most things, it's a culture, passion and support. Add winning and there you go. Before you can win though you need the other 3

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                Like most things, it's a culture, passion and support. Add winning and there you go. Before you can win though you need the other 3
                                The real reason why UND hockey is so popular is the people who live there don't have anything else to do, except maybe drink, which they do way too much of when the hockey team is struggling. But outside of "Fighting Sioux" hockey their sources of entertainment are quite limited.

> No pro sports teams to cheer for*
                                > No lakes to enjoy*
                                > And no trees to climb!*

*unless they drive east into God's Country!
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X