This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Quit answering nonsensical questions and crunch the data. Before we know it, exams will be in the way, then some claimed pseudo man trip you can't get out of, and blah blah blah, we don't pay you for answering other questions. Get back to work.

I actually graduated early and took the bar in February. I managed to get a job too, so I'm working at the moment.

I am in the middle of crunching the data. I have taxes to do tonight, and then I need to finish up the Pick'em stuff. Then I will focus on finishing the data for this. Hope to have it all plugged in by the end of the month if not sooner.

I suppose I could announce #60 if it would make people feel better.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1-#59

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      From a historical perspective, why should UNO be ahead of Ohio State?
      Well, after taking a closer look, they probably should not. I got a bit galvanized by the number of Frozen Four appearances and NCAA tourney records. Both schools have a single FF appearance and UNO has a 2-3 all time tourney record and Ohio State has a 2-6-0 tourney record, which IS a worse record, BUT, that also means they have more overall tourney appearances, losses "galore" or not. Losing in the tourney is better than not playing in it all, I suspect, in your formula. To say nothing of UNO having no conference titles.

Then, I looked down the list at UMass-Lowell (in particular), Vermont, Bemidji State, and that of RIT, all of whom have historical resume's that I think I'd rather have than that of Ohio State's and that got me thinking that OSU was/is over-valued. Then there were other teams just a bit father down than these 4 between them and UNO that the Mavs seems certain to jump and, maybe, I added 2 plus 2 and got 5 on this one. My bad.

It would be helpful if you disclosed the exact formula you use, but, I can certainly understand why you might not want to.

Can I ask what law school you went to? UND, I presume?

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        Well, after taking a closer look, they probably should not. I got a bit galvanized by the number of Frozen Four appearances and NCAA tourney records. Both schools have a single FF appearance and UNO has a 2-3 all time tourney record and Ohio State has a 2-6-0 tourney record, which IS a worse record, BUT, that also means they have more overall tourney appearances, losses "galore" or not. Losing in the tourney is better than not playing in it all, I suspect, in your formula. To say nothing of UNO having no conference titles.

Then, I looked down the list at UMass-Lowell (in particular), Vermont, Bemidji State, and that of RIT, all of whom have historical resume's that I think I'd rather have than that of Ohio State's and that got me thinking that OSU was/is over-valued. Then there were other teams just a bit father down than these 4 between them and UNO that the Mavs seems certain to jump and, maybe, I added 2 plus 2 and got 5 on this one. My bad.

It would be helpful if you disclosed the exact formula you use, but, I can certainly understand why you might not want to.

Can I ask what law school you went to? UND, I presume?
        No worries. If UNO keeps on the track they are currently on, they will be making moves on this list.

As for the formula, It is quite complex, but the overall gist of it is in the previous thread. I believe there is a link to that thread in the first post here. If I get a little extra time this weekend I will find it and post it again in this thread. (EDIT: Post 7 has a breakdown of how the points are calculated)

I went to UND for undergrad (I grew up in North Dakota), then went to CU for my doctorate (history). My wife is from CO, so I stayed here, and I went to law school at DU as they have the only night program in the state (and a top 10 night program nationally).
        Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 04-18-2015, 11:52 AM.
        North Dakota

Comment

I suppose I could announce #60 if it would make people feel better.
          Or announce 60 - 51 all at the same time, etc. until you get to the top 25.....
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Then, I looked down the list at UMass-Lowell (in particular), Vermont, Bemidji State, and that of RIT, all of whom have historical resume's that I think I'd rather have than that of Ohio State's and that got me thinking that OSU was/is over-valued.
            Bemidji and RIT's pre-Division-I histories don't count in FS23's point system. =(

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              Bemidji and RIT's pre-Division-I histories don't count in FS23's point system. =(

Powers &8^]
              This is correct. Other schools are hurt by this as well. For example, LSSUs NAIA titles are not included, nor is Huntsville's pre-D1 history counted. I would imagine that if a non-D1 ranking ever popped up that these programs would all do very well. Unfortunately (for those schools) for my rankings, only D1 results were used.
              North Dakota

Comment

This is correct. Other schools are hurt by this as well. For example, LSSUs NAIA titles are not included, nor is Huntsville's pre-D1 history counted. I would imagine that if a non-D1 ranking ever popped up that these programs would all do very well. Unfortunately (for those schools) for my rankings, only D1 results were used.
                While it would make us look better, I'm fine with the exclusion. BSU and UAH (and Mankato State) were dominant in D-II when there just weren't many D-II schools playing.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  While it would make us look better, I'm fine with the exclusion. BSU and UAH (and Mankato State) were dominant in D-II when there just weren't many D-II schools playing.

GFM
                  If you go WAAAAAY back UMD was ridiculously dominate playing small schools before the WCHA finally let them in. I was a small kid and don't even know if they called it DIII or what, but they really beat up on all the small schools they played, often by 20 or more goals.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The data is almost complete, but I will unveil #60 here shortly so everyone can see the format of how this year's rankings will look.
                    North Dakota

Comment

#60 - Arizona State Sun Devils
                      Overall Points: 0.0000
                      Difference from last season: 0.0000 (#50)
                      Points over past 5 years: 0.0000 (#58)

Outlook

The Sun Devils will embark on their opening season in Division 1 play in 2015-2016. While anything is possible for ASU, realistically little should be expected from their first run through the top ranks of collegiate hockey. Look for Arizona State to lurk at the bottom of these rankings for at least another season.
                      North Dakota

Comment

#60 - Arizona State Sun Devils
                        Overall Points: 0.0000
                        Difference from last season: 0.0000 (#50)
                        Points over past 5 years: 0.0000 (#58)

Outlook

The Sun Devils will embark on their opening season in Division 1 play in 2015-2016. While anything is possible for ASU, realistically little should be expected from their first run through the top ranks of collegiate hockey. Look for Arizona State to lurk at the bottom of these rankings for at least another season.
                        Does that mean that two teams had a negative total for the last five years?
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Does that mean that two teams had a negative total for the last five years?
                          At least. I haven't completed all the data, but there are at least 2 programs that are on a downward trajectory.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                            Looking over the list, my guess is that this season will leapfrog UNO by, at a minimum, Air Force, Princeton, AA, Holy Cross, Niagara, and Western Michigan. From there, RIT and BSU are iffy. The one team that seems overranked, to me, is Ohio State, who I think UNO ought to also leapfrog, but, there are other teams between us and them that I would not see us passing.

The other caveat for UNO is, what does Mankato's past season do for them, who was the next team behind UNO on your list. Clearly they are a big mover as well. They won a conference title but, they got skunked in the tourney. My guess is that we still end up in front of them.

There are teams ranked behind Ohio State that I would have ahead of them (including UNO, now). That said, I have no idea what your formula is or the basis for it.

My guess is that UNO ends up #37, 38, or 39.
                            I can't tell if he's actually serious with this drivel, or it is all a grand charade aping Minnesota fans.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              I can't tell if he's actually serious with this drivel, or it is all a grand charade aping Minnesota fans.
                              He's a Husker-reject, take nothing he says seriously...
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                                JDubbs moved to Omaha.
                                "My greatest achievement."
                                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                                X