X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1-#59

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Either way, RPI will need to get top notch goaltending if they want to compete for hardware this season in the ECAC.

It's amazing how cyclical college hockey can be. Just 3 years ago, the ECAC was the laughing stock of the sport. Now the conference is the on top of the hill. Maybe that's the writing on the wall that RPI is due for another stretch of dominance?
    1954 - 1985 - 2016??
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

It's amazing how cyclical college hockey can be. Just 3 years ago, the ECAC was the laughing stock of the sport. Now the conference is the on top of the hill.
      You can see why it was the laughing stock ... here is how the ECAC did (I think) in the NCAA tournament since 2000

Year ECAC
      2000 1-2
      2001 0-1
      2002 0-1
      2003 2-2
      2004 1-3
      2005 1-3
      2006 1-2
      2007 0-2
      2008 1-2
      2009 1-3
      2010 1-2
      2011 1-3
      2012 3-2 F4 (1)
      2013 8-2 F4 (2)
      2014 4-2 F4 (1)

The problem was that, while the average ECAC team was as good as the average team in other leagues, at the top of the league, it did not have the ability to consistently stand toe to toe with the "Big Boys" with the exception of perhaps Cornell.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        You can see why it was the laughing stock ... here is how the ECAC did (I think) in the NCAA tournament since 2000

Year ECAC
        2000 1-2
        2001 0-1
        2002 0-1
        2003 2-2
        2004 1-3
        2005 1-3
        2006 1-2
        2007 0-2
        2008 1-2
        2009 1-3
        2010 1-2
        2011 1-3
        2012 3-2 F4 (1)
        2013 8-2 F4 (2)
        2014 4-2 F4 (1)

The problem was that, while the average ECAC team was as good as the average team in other leagues, it did not have the ability to consistently stand toe to toe with the "Big Boys" with the exception of perhaps Cornell.
        It has truly been a remarkable turnaround for the conference. It also does not appear that it will be a temporary appearance at the top either. Union, Yale, Cornell, and Quinnipiac have extremely solid programs with great coaches. Harvard is always a sleeping giant, and this year the ECAC has a very experienced Colgate squad that could replicate Union's success from last season. From top to bottom the ECAC is easily arguable as the best conference in college hockey, and certainly one of the "Big Boys" these days. Looooong gone are the days of the EZAC, and, at least as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad that the ECAC is back to its rightful spot in the pantheon of college hockey.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

No lawsuit...just very busy. I'll have #s 19 and 18 up by Monday. For certain will have the entire list done by October.
          According to my calendar just eight days remain until October!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            According to my calendar just eight days remain until October!
            16 teams left in 8 days...can it be done?

I was thinking, and I think I'll do the following:

#16-15-14 released tomorrow
            #13-12-11 released Wednesday
            #10-9 released Thursday
            #8-7 released Friday
            #6-5-4 released Saturday
            #3-2-1 released Sunday

Or, if people would prefer, I can keep going 1 at a time with the goal of having the list finished by the first real weekend of college hockey (i.e. ~October 10).

I'm fine with either.
            North Dakota

Comment

Or you have people guess the rest. Here are mine.
              16-UMD
              15 Clarkson
              14 Harvard
              13 Cornell
              12 CC
              11 Maine
              10 Michigan State
              9 Michigan Tech
              8 LSSU
              7 BU
              6 UW
              5 DU
              4 BC
              3 Evil Gophers
              2 Michigan
              1 Sioux
              UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

That finish by Sunday scenario sounds unnecessarily ambitious, FS. It seems to be that October 10th would be fine.

My guess is that Terry Switzer is close, but I am looking forward to seeing how the point spread widens with increased hardware.

Comment

1-8 thur should be correct, 9-16 I am sure I have some wrong.
                  UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    That finish by Sunday scenario sounds unnecessarily ambitious, FS. It seems to be that October 10th would be fine.
                    He hasn't posted one in two weeks. At this rate, I would say a finish by Christmas scenario would be ambitious.
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      He hasn't posted one in two weeks. At this rate, I would say a finish by Christmas scenario would be ambitious.

It really is more of a what do people want to see.

Do people really just want to have the list of the teams with their point totals? That could be done in a matter of a couple hours (I would say minutes, but I'm not currently at home).

Do people want the list with the detail done with the previous teams? That would take a little bit longer, but still something that could be done by tomorrow or Thursday.

Do people want time to discuss the teams on the list from a historical standpoint? Well, that was the intention of the thread and the list. I try my best to post as often as I can, yet still give time for discussion.

At this point, I'm leaning towards just finishing the list up in the next few days (maybe by Sunday). Once games are played, I theoretically would enter that data in and that would change the programs' point totals. Of course, in reality I compile the information throughout the season, but don't enter it in until after the season has finished.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Do people really just want to have the list of the teams with their point totals? That could be done in a matter of a couple hours (I would say minutes, but I'm not currently at home).

Do people want the list with the detail done with the previous teams? That would take a little bit longer, but still something that could be done by tomorrow or Thursday.

Do people want time to discuss the teams on the list from a historical standpoint? Well, that was the intention of the thread and the list. I try my best to post as often as I can, yet still give time for discussion.

At this point, I'm leaning towards just finishing the list up in the next few days (maybe by Sunday). Once games are played, I theoretically would enter that data in and that would change the programs' point totals. Of course, in reality I compile the information throughout the season, but don't enter it in until after the season has finished.
                        I would prefer one at a time finishing about October 10. And FWIW, I really doubt that UND will finish #1, based on past results.
                        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Just put da Bears at the top of the list and call it a day FS.
                          sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                            I would prefer one at a time finishing about October 10. And FWIW, I really doubt that UND will finish #1, based on past results.
                            That would be my vote as well. The order won't change until Spring, and Fighting Sioux 23 might as well follow the same great format that's been used to date.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Whenever you get it done, FS, you're in the running for the greatest Greatest thread.

We're grateful.

Unless Minnie makes it in the top two. If that happens, you're FS bin Laden.
                              Last edited by burd; 09-23-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I say get 'em done. This is a great thread for the off-season, but the off-season is virtually over, for all intents and purposes.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X