Best Recruiting Class All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Recruiting Class All-Time

Well JDUBBS1280, could you refine what you mean by the "Best Recruiting Class All Time"? I mean there's obviously much different standards, best prospects, best college team, best post-college success?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      I don't remember hearing of any of these awards in college hockey?

Shouldn't a college recruiting class be judged on how the players performed in college? Stu Bickel was a last minute pick-up for the Gophs, played one year with the Gophs (solid defender but not spectacular) and has played himself into an NHL spot. That doesn't make him a better recruit than Grant Bischoff or Ryan Duncan. (I don't think Duncan played NHL, did he?)
      Maybe, but Dryden is also pretty much indisputably the greatest goaltender to ever put on a pair of pads in a college game.

Comment

SCSU recruits in 1998: Scott Meyer, Dean Weasler, Mike Pudlick, Tyler Arnason, Nate DiCasmirro. Later joined by Duvie Westcott.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
          Another great one. Pretty solid two-year stretch for Sconnie. Thanks for posting Solo!
          no prob, my list is based solely on the amount of individual talent coming to Madison at one time (or in this case two consecutive years), I was too young to assess the 80's talent but do remember watching Richter, Granato's, Mellanby, Ranheim, Tuttle et al.

by no means did this group 90-91 (and 91-92) solidify and play as a team which was quite a shame as they should have won at least 1 NCAA Title. 1992 LSSU title game loss and subsequent melt-down ruined the team. from there forward they played like their were 5 pucks out there at all times.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
            Well JDUBBS1280, could you refine what you mean by the "Best Recruiting Class All Time"? I mean there's obviously much different standards, best prospects, best college team, best post-college success?
            Yeah, I was just thinking about that. I am leaning towards saying best recruiting class as it relates to college production/accomplishments. But as I say that, I realize that some really good players may not have stayed in college long (ie... Phil Kessel and Thomas Vanek for Gophers). So I think you need to factor in post-college accomplishments as well.

So, how about half and half?

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
              SCSU recruits in 1998: Scott Meyer, Dean Weasler, Mike Pudlick, Tyler Arnason, Nate DiCasmirro. Later joined by Duvie Westcott.
              Good one!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                no prob, my list is based solely on the amount of individual talent coming to Madison at one time (or in this case two consecutive years), I was too young to assess the 80's talent but do remember watching Richter, Granato's, Mellanby, Ranheim, Tuttle et al.

by no means did this group 90-91 (and 91-92) solidify and play as a team which was quite a shame as they should have won at least 1 NCAA Title. 1992 LSSU title game loss and subsequent melt-down ruined the team. from there forward they played like their were 5 pucks out there at all times.
                I know the feeling. The 1989 loss sticks with me in much the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Well, then. You'll have a hard time finding a better class than the one that entered Cornell in fall of '66. They weren't eligible to play their freshman year, but in their 3 years of eligibility, they went 83-4 (.954). I'm sure this must be the best NCAA record for any individual class.
                  I was going to look up a Maine class or two (Paul Kariya's?) until I read this. Game over. I can't see anybody coming up with a cogent argument against this class in terms of college accomplishments.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    I was going to look up a Maine class or two (Paul Kariya's?) until I read this. Game over. I can't see anybody coming up with a cogent argument against this class in terms of college accomplishments.
                    The exercise is best recruiting class for the program you follow.

Comment

I couldn't find a reference to what Maine's 93-94 record "actually" was (without the forfeits), but in the other 3 seasons that Kariya's class played, they were 103-16-12 (.832), which certainly is not too shabby! Imagine if Kariya *hadn't* left...

The only problem with the Cornell class of '70 is that they only won 1 title in their 3 amazing seasons. Michigan's class of '53 won the NCAA title every year they played...
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
                        Maybe, but Dryden is also pretty much indisputably the greatest goaltender to ever put on a pair of pads in a college game.
                        The ghost of Frank Brimsek agrees.
                        scsuhockey.com
                        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          The exercise is best recruiting class for the program you follow.
                          According to the thread title it is "Best Recruiting Class All-Time." Doesn't say anything about my program. But then, I'm not the dimwit who wrote it.

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            The only problem with the Cornell class of '70 is that they only won 1 title in their 3 amazing seasons. Michigan's class of '53 won the NCAA title every year they played...
                            Are you trying to trump your boys?

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

According to the thread title it is "Best Recruiting Class All-Time." Doesn't say anything about my program. But then, I'm not the dimwit who wrote it.
                              This has always been a tough bar to play.

Comment

Read (I know it's tough) the OP again. You are the dimwit

"What do you think your school's best recruiting class was?"

Not sure how much clearer I can make it.

Comment

Working...
                                X