A Century Later and Fenway Park Hasn't Lost its Grip on Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Century Later and Fenway Park Hasn't Lost its Grip on Us

In 5 days America will celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the opening of America's Most Beloved Ballpark (tm).

I will be there Tuesday night with my oldest son. Pray for me that my knees don't get damaged sitting in the grandstand, and my bank account survives a trip to the concession stand.

Any good places to eat around the park? Son is vegan. I am a carnivore.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: A Century Later and Fenway Park Hasn't Lost its Grip on Us

How can we ever forget the years of torment put upon the city of Boston.

Anyone else realize the Red Sox still haven't won a World Series IN Boston since 1918?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      In 5 days America will celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the opening of America's Most Beloved Ballpark (tm).

I will be there Tuesday night with my oldest son. Pray for me that my knees don't get damaged sitting in the grandstand, and my bank account survives a trip to the concession stand.

Probably easier to find a new oldest son that deal with a vegan

Comment

A week after the Titanic sank. There must be a connection.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Freshman year of college, RA took us to game to sit in bleachers on a sunny Saturday...back then it was basically a beer party with a baseball game going on...been a fan ever since.

Saw a public TV special on it that a friend DVR'd, best insight into Fenway I had ever seen. One of the Sunday shows did 5 minutes on it yesterday.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Fenway and Wrigley should be torn down. Both are total dumps.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Keep both, but if you ever are forced to choose: Fenway is dominated by the sport's oldest gimmick; Wrigley is a complete, lovely ballpark.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Keep both, but if you ever are forced to choose: Fenway is dominated by the sport's oldest gimmick; Wrigley is a complete, lovely ballpark.
                I am totally prejudiced, but one of the great vistas in sport is the first time you see the outfield walls, with the ivy. The late Wells Twombley once wrote, if they ever tear down Wrigley, I'll turn in my BBWA card.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                  Freshman year of college, RA took us to game to sit in bleachers on a sunny Saturday...back then it was basically a beer party with a baseball game going on...been a fan ever since.
                  My freshman year began in the fall of '86 -- a pretty eventful time to be introduced to Kenmore Square. Walk out of your dorm, look up in the air . . . it's the Goodyear Blimp!

Then the next year ('87) the Sox were bad, finishing 20 games out of first, but you could still get bleacher seats for $5. That really surprised me.

And speaking of 1987, here's me (and a girl!) standing at The Green Monster that spring. You can see how it was before they put seats on top of the wall:

*****http://i703.***********.com/albums/ww31/DSPHK/Fenway1987.jpg******
                  Bugs Bunny - 96
                  Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    They don't call Fenway the Urinal for nothing
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      You're probably one of those "tear down William's Arena" morons, too.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Love Fenway Park.

Nothing like walking up the ramp on the First Base side and seeing the Monster for the first time.

I'm going to Wrigley for the first time this summer. Hope it can live up to the hype.

Was at Fenway for Opening Day last week:

*****http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/523248_3823312145048_1345077397_33591041_144567082 _n.jpg******
                        UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

One of my very favorite things is the first glimpse of the playing field upon entering any ballpark, especially for the first time of a season. A couple of years back I went ot Wrigley Field with my brother. I hadn't been in about 20 years, and it had been even longer for him. That moment was incredible there. (And of course it takes longer because you can't see the field from the concourse.)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            I am totally prejudiced, but one of the great vistas in sport is the first time you see the outfield walls, with the ivy. The late Wells Twombley once wrote, if they ever tear down Wrigley, I'll turn in my BBWA card.
                            They can keep the brick fences and ivy covering, but my God do they need to demolish the rest of the park or perform a LOT of reconstruction.

Wrigley is a dump. Only redeeming quality is the ivy on the walls.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

There is a veggie friendly place heading away from Kenmore, up Brookline Ave , near the movie theater (at least there was a few years ago). UFood Grill, I believe it's called. I don't know if they do vegan, but here's their website. It's right next to the Art Store and the movie theater. I do remember the quality of food being delicious.

No interest in Fenway anymore thanks to John Henry and friends and what little interest I had in the Sox is waning is as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X