NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Mile High - I did answer your first question. You just didn't get the answer you want. Keep asking and you'll keep getting the sane answer. Minnesota hasn't changed it's recruiting philosophy much since the days of Mariucci. And since the answer to your first question is that it hasn't changed, the second question is irrelevant.

Comment

Starting next year we have a new era so everything that has happened in the last 50 years is moot.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        That's your second Sting reference in the past week or so.

Grew up in Joliet, btw.
        Can't help it. A wonderful movie and a great character.

Was there some legendary or historical con artist from Joliet that caused it to be used as the location for that part of the book/movie?
        Last edited by burd; 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
          Mile High - I did answer your first question. You just didn't get the answer you want. Keep asking and you'll keep getting the sane answer. Minnesota hasn't changed it's recruiting philosophy much since the days of Mariucci. And since the answer to your first question is that it hasn't changed, the second question is irrelevant.
          You didn't. I can see why you have the reputation that you do. I'm done with you.

Comment

Woogs all Minnesota philosophy isn't what grew the sport in this country or in Minnesota. The fact that Woog, as did his predecessors and Lucia still today, recruited primarily Americans is what grew the sport in this country and the fact that they all recruited and are still recruiting primarily Minnesotans is what grew the game in-state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mile High Hockey View Post
              You didn't. I can see why you have the reputation that you do. I'm done with you.
              I did. And elaborated above. Recruiting only in-state isn't the philosophy that grew the sport or the philosophy I am referring to. It was a nice story in-state, and a source of local pride, but not what I am referring to when I discuss the recruiting philosophy that grew the game. I'm talking about using primarily American (much local) rosters instead of primarily foreign.

Comment

After all this change or non existent change I better get to work and start sampling the new and exciting craft beer, wine and small distilleries.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mile High Hockey View Post
                  good idea, should have given up long ago.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Funny thing is, this all started because I made a simple post about there being imeasurable factors that should contribute to what makes a program great and was challenged over and over.

It's my opinion. One that I firmly believe in and bet many other people do too. All said, I am sure each and every person here is delighted by how much USA Hockey has grown in this country, and whether or not they want to admit it know that some of the tough decisions the University of Minnesota made very early on and have had the resolution and determination to stick with played a big factor in that growth.

If you didn't agree that these immeasurable factors should be a factor in a team's greatness, you should have just politely agreed to disagree instead of engaging in the discussion.

Yet, the group think on this board to fight the reality that Minnesota's recruiting philosophies have had any other meaning or impact other than just "Minnesota being provincial" is so strong that any time the subject is brought up it is met with an unequivocal attack on the poster.

It's just discussion. If you disagree, then disagree. But the lengths that some go to in order to "disprove" that Minnesota's recruiting philosophies have had any meaningful impact on USA or college hockey is disappointing. Especially when it comes from fellow Gopher fans.
                    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      Funny thing is, this all started because I made a simple post about there being imeasurable factors that should contribute to what makes a program great and was challenged over and over.

It's my opinion. One that I firmly believe in and bet many other people do too. All said, I am sure each and every person here is delighted by how much USA Hockey has grown in this country, and whether or not they want to admit it know that some of the tough decisions the University of Minnesota made very early on and have had the resolution and determination to stick with played a big factor in that growth.

If you didn't agree that these immeasurable factors should be a factor in a team's greatness, you should have just politely agreed to disagree instead of engaging in the discussion.

Yet, the group think on this board to fight the reality that Minnesota's recruiting philosophies have had any other meaning or impact other than just "Minnesota being provincial" is so strong that any time the subject is brought up it is met with an unequivocal attack on the poster.

It's just discussion. If you disagree, then disagree. But the lengths that some go to in order to "disprove" that Minnesota's recruiting philosophies have had any meaningful impact on USA or college hockey is disappointing. Especially when it comes from fellow Gopher fans.
                      The problem isn't your opinion, the problem is the fact that you simply refuse to let something go, and everyone else tends to refuse to let something go when talking to you about it because of your attitude. We get it, Minnesota is awesome, they are the reason college hockey is awesome. It had nothing to do with other programs, its all about Minnesota choosing to give Americans and mostly Minnesotans the opportunity for 20 scholarships. Those 20 scholarships alone are responsible for American Hockey...
                      This thread was about accomplishments of PROGRAMS, the person that started this thread was trying to quantify a ranking based solely on accomplishments. Winning a title is the same if you do it with 20 people from Minnesota or from Austria. The reason people get so **** annoyed with you is continue to repeat yourself OVER and OVER and OVER again across many threads every time we have this discussion. People disagree with you and you can't let it go, and they can't let it go...its f ing annoying. Why don' you learn to be the better person and stop beating a dead horse every 10 posts?
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        The problem isn't your opinion, the problem is the fact that you simply refuse to let something go, and everyone else tends to refuse to let something go when talking to you about it because of your attitude. We get it, Minnesota is awesome, they are the reason college hockey is awesome. It had nothing to do with other programs, its all about Minnesota choosing to give Americans and mostly Minnesotans the opportunity for 20 scholarships. Those 20 scholarships alone are responsible for American Hockey...
                        This thread was about accomplishments of PROGRAMS, the person that started this thread was trying to quantify a ranking based solely on accomplishments. Winning a title is the same if you do it with 20 people from Minnesota or from Austria. The reason people get so **** annoyed with you is continue to repeat yourself OVER and OVER and OVER again across many threads every time we have this discussion. People disagree with you and you can't let it go, and they can't let it go...its f ing annoying. Why don' you learn to be the better person and stop beating a dead horse every 10 posts?
                        Agreed!!

And to that end, I propose changing the subject to something less polarizing.

JDUBBS- I'm curious to hear your views on abortion.

Comment

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Dubbie.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                            JDUBBS- I'm curious to hear your views on abortion.
                            He's for it if the conception was between a Minnesota and non-Minnesotan. He has a strict belief against mixing the states when it comes to having kids and marriage.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              *****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Dubbie.jpg******
                              Now THAT is hilarious
                              - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Go you Green and White
                              Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight with all your might!
                              Rah! Rah! Rah!
                              We are here to cheer you
                              We are out to win your fame,
                              So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                              Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                I don't mind the discussion. I actually enjoy it, as long as it isn't confrontational and doesn't involve personal insults. Notice that I'm not responding to the insults and childish nonsense posts? Are those posts insightful and valuable in your opinion?

So if I enjoy the discussion, why not reply when people respond? Am I not entitled to reply when my posts are replied to? Or are lengthy discussions only reserved for page after page discussions on paint thinner, dead deer, and some of the other unchallenged nonsense I read on here? Serious questions.

If people don't want to make this a lengthy discussion, then don't engage in the discussion. And don't read if you aren't interested.

Not sure exactly why you guys think you have the right to dictate what acceptable discourse is.

And again, contributing to the growth of hockey in this country isn't an "accomplishment"? I disagree.
                                Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X