Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Century Later and The Titanic Hasn't Lost its Grip on Us

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The Daniel J. Morrell, which actually went down off the Thumb. It took years to find the stern, which ultimately ended up five miles from the site of the bow. The Detroit Free Press did an interview with the lone survivor about 15 years ago. He spent two days in a life raft and nearly died of exposure, but he was lucky enough to only lose his toes.
    Wow. Another guy I've always felt for was Capt. McVeigh of the Indianapolis. The idea of the United States Navy bringing in a G.D. jap submarine captain to testify against one of our own makes me feel like throwing up in my mouth. Eventually he blew his brains out. Subsequently a young kid took up his case and McVeigh was cleared of dereliction. And thinking about those guys in the water, with the sharks, is really almost too horrible to contemplate.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      True dat. Somebody said 3rd class was just "ignored to death." And I think that has some merit. What if they had had multi-lingual evacuation instructions, like on airplanes? With instructions on how to get to the boats (even though there weren't nearly enough). The relevant regulations were written when ships were 10,000 tons. Titanic was four times bigger than that. And in the forty years before Titanic, only a tiny handful of passengers had lost their lives. All of the managers of White Star and the other lines thought life boats would be used to transfer passengers from a stricken ship to a rescue ship (like on the Andrea Doria) and just didn't think of the kind of thing that actually happened. And if Stanley Lord had done the right thing, that scenario of "ferrying" passengers in the boats might have come to be. Sadly, we'll never know.
      The ship stayed afloat for about 2.5 hours after striking, it would have taken the California about 3/4 to 1 hour to make it to the site through the ice. I wonder if there would have been enough time to retrieve the survivors from the boats, return to the Titanic, and pull more survivors off before the ship made the final plunge. At the very least, more the the 1st class passengers would have gone in the the first wave (fewer half filled boats) and more could have still been pulled from the water.

Even if no additional lives would have been saved, that doesn't absolve Lord of his negligent inaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        The ship stayed afloat for about 2.5 hours after striking, it would have taken the California about 3/4 to 1 hour to make it to the site through the ice. I wonder if there would have been enough time to retrieve the survivors from the boats, return to the Titanic, and pull more survivors off before the ship made the final plunge. At the very least, more the the 1st class passengers would have gone in the the first wave (fewer half filled boats) and more could have still been pulled from the water.

Even if no additional lives would have been saved, that doesn't absolve Lord of his negligent inaction.
        Exactly. And don't forget, many of the more vigorous passengers could have jumped and then been plucked from the water and warmed up. It's all speculation, of course, but the s.o.b. should have tried.

Comment

Exactly. And don't forget, many of the more vigorous passengers could have jumped and then been plucked from the water and warmed up. It's all speculation, of course, but the s.o.b. should have tried.
          I'm sure that his decision to ignore the distress signals earned him a special place in hell for all the lives he didn't try to save.

Comment

I'm sure that his decision to ignore the distress signals earned him a special place in hell for all the lives he didn't try to save.
            I understand the unthinking union goon type defense he's getting from them. But presumably serious people, creating scenarios about mystery ships and all the rest to let him off the hook really baffle me. I suppose it's a way of selling books, but it really muddies the pitch. If there were a Senate hearing today, I'm certain they'd follow up on those missing scrap log pages (which was not done by Senator Smith and the rest). You ask the officers of the watch, did you make notations about rockets in the log? Then ask Lord, what happened to those pages? Who but you would have the nerve to remove them, or a motive? And why is there no mention of those rockets in the fair log? Jack McCoy would call it "conscienceness of guilt."

Comment

They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em sink!
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Where's the love for the Edmund Fitzgerald?! (tArrogance)

Honestly, it's a tragedy, but it was arrogance and stupidity that led to the tragedy that is Titanic.
                The Fitz went down on my 1st birthday. I always give a listen to the Lightfoot song on my birthday, and when I can get one, I like to enjoy a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

Comment

Wow. Another guy I've always felt for was Capt. McVeigh of the Indianapolis. The idea of the United States Navy bringing in a G.D. jap submarine captain to testify against one of our own makes me feel like throwing up in my mouth. Eventually he blew his brains out. Subsequently a young kid took up his case and McVeigh was cleared of dereliction. And thinking about those guys in the water, with the sharks, is really almost too horrible to contemplate.
                  I have been led to believe that the Japanese Captain, although he did testify, found that to be highly distasteful as well.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    I have been led to believe that the Japanese Captain, although he did testify, found that to be highly distasteful as well.
                    I don't doubt it. He was an officer. Code of Bushido and all. Still, a real stain on the honor of our Navy. And McVeigh's exoneration came too late for him. He was already dead by his own hand. As to those guys in the water, I don't want to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      There were only fifty one deaths. That's it? I thought it was like a thousand! That's no tragedy! How many people do you lose on a normal cruise? 30? 40?
                      You really should use quotation marks.

Comment

Time is a factor, a bigger issue is that life has evolved over millions of years to survive (and thrive) at the ocean depths. Microorganisms have evolved to scavenge on organic matter that would naturally sink to the ocean depth. The Great Lakes are freshwater and have only existed in there current form since the end of the last ice age, they may have not had the time to develop the microbial life needed to as effectively degrade organic matter.
                        Well, now there seems to be a difference of opinion about human remains at the Titanic wreck site.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,2417157.story

Comment

Well, now there seems to be a difference of opinion about human remains at the Titanic wreck site.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,2417157.story
                          Regardless of if you can identify a recognizable human body, the wreck is a grave site and should be treated as such.

Comment

Regardless of if you can identify a recognizable human body, the wreck is a grave site and should be treated as such.
                            That's what Bob Ballard thinks. Now I'm reading about plans to "preserve" the wreck, because in time it will simply disappear. I'm curious about the technology and what I suspect would be an enormous expense. If it came down to a choice between Jerry Brown's high speed rail project or preserving the wreck, that would be an easy one to decide.

Comment

That's what Bob Ballard thinks. Now I'm reading about plans to "preserve" the wreck, because in time it will simply disappear. I'm curious about the technology and what I suspect would be an enormous expense. If it came down to a choice between Jerry Brown's high speed rail project or preserving the wreck, that would be an easy one to decide.
                              I wonder if he regrets not claiming international salvage rights from when he discovered the wreck given what has happened to the wreck site in the last 27 years.

Comment

To claim rights though, all he needed to do was bring one small thing up, but he didn't want to do even that. Rather let it all lie as it was, but greedy bastids looking to make a buck won't let it be so.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X