• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Century Later and The Titanic Hasn't Lost its Grip on Us

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Honestly:

Titanic: unsinkable ship. Whoops.
    Challenger: whoops.
    We mess up, because we think we are the best at everything. You do this, we top it. 'Murica. NOT that I have a problem with trying (and hopefully proving) it. But man, think it through.
    Despite being designed in England, built in Ireland, and flying the Union Jack, the Titanic was actually owned by an American conglomerate, the International Mercantile Marine, owned by J. P. Morgan.

And nobody associated with the White Star Line ever used the word "unsinkable." It first appeared in an article in the magazine "The Shipbuilder," which described the Titanic as "practically unsinkable." Somewhere along the line the "practically" disappeared.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I actually liked the movie and came away from it quite disturbed by the epic sinking scenes. I think that Cameron did a great job of putting you in the moment.

The little vignettes were especially powerful when added to the main story arc. The old couple in their cabin come to mind.

Also found the floaters thrashing on the surface after the ship went down to be cringe inducing.

Was nice to see what's her name's ta-tas too.

I agree with the other poster though that I find the Great Lakes wreaks to be more interesting (personally) coz of my living near them, or at least two of them, all of my life. Lake Superior is a cold and unforgiving abyss. Incredibly beautiful too.
      The old couple was Mr. and Mrs Isadore Strauss. He was owner of Macy's. Mrs. Strauss got into a boat. And somebody suggested the "old man" could get in, too. He was offended and said if the other men weren't going, he wouldn't either. At that point, Mrs. Strauss got out of her boat and said something about how long she had been married to Mr. Strauss and they would meet their fate together.

After the sinking, the White Star line dispatched a ship to find as many of those "floaters" as possible. More than 300 bodies were recovered. Some of the victims were embalmed and the bodies returned to their families (including John Jacob Astor). 121 others were buried in Halifax (many anonymously) under simple, black stones.
      Last edited by Old Pio; 04-13-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

And for those of us with A.D.D.

It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I think the ship was fine, it was the stupid navigators.
          You and Old Pio both have good points, and they aren't mutually exclusive. The ship was fine. Arrogance was certainly a part of it, but so was ignorance. In my field the saying goes "the rules and regulations are written in blood". I just sat through an entire lesson plan about low level wind shear and our alert system in the tower cab because 27 years ago Delta 191 crashed short of Dallas-Fort Worth on final approach because of a microburst during a thunderstorm. Hell, my job exists because two came together over the Grand Canyon.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            The ship was fine. .
            Metallurgy classes suggest otherwise.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

When I was in college, I played in the pit orchestra for the playhouse's production of Titanic.

Comment

some of the shipwrecks in Lake Superior are in water so deep and cold, the bodies don't decompose. divers have found them still bobbing around in the pilot houses, etc of the ships.

I've not been much into the Titanic, but we recently watched a special on the engineering staff. it got me interested. several of the second class passengers were heading to Houghton. Cornish and Swedes mostly.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                  some of the shipwrecks in Lake Superior are in water so deep and cold, the bodies don't decompose. divers have found them still bobbing around in the pilot houses, etc of the ships.

I've not been much into the Titanic, but we recently watched a special on the engineering staff. it got me interested. several of the second class passengers were heading to Houghton. Cornish and Swedes mostly.
                  The Titanic and her sisters (Olympic and Britannic) were so plush that second class on them was comparable to first class on some other ships. There were two so-called parlor suites, each with a private section of the boat deck (this is what Rose and her boyfriend occupied in the movie). Price for a one way ticket in these suites? $4,200. What on earth would that be in 2012 dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Metallurgy classes suggest otherwise.
                    I assume you're referring to documentaries and articles that found the steel used in her hull was inferior to the steel of today. To me that's not especially surprising. Remember, the steel used in the Titanic's hull was up to the standards of the day, not some unique cheapo product which singularly doomed the ship. Since I don't have that metallurgy expert Rosie O'Donnell to ask, do you think a vessel today would survive an identical accident? That is, would the hull be damaged in the way the Titanic's was? I read somewhere that the estimated combined size of the various small punctures of the hull to be nine square feet. Sounds pretty benign, doesn't it?

The berg damaged the hull along 300 feet and even though it wasn't the "gash" described for decades (if that were the case, she would have gone down like a rock) it put water in those first five compartments and doomed her, especially since the bulkheads only went up to D deck. That conversation where builder Thomas Andrews tells Captain Smith the ship is doomed absolutely took place. Andrews told Smith the ship had an hour and a half, perhaps two, to live. He was off by half an hour, because the crew did a remarkable job with the pumps to try to keep the water down.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post

That's an interesting and sad fact. No human remains are left at the Titanic wreck site. I wonder why. Can the Great Lakes be deeper/colder than the north Atlantic? Is it a function of salinity? Or the passage of time?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        You and Old Pio both have good points, and they aren't mutually exclusive. The ship was fine. Arrogance was certainly a part of it, but so was ignorance. In my field the saying goes "the rules and regulations are written in blood". I just sat through an entire lesson plan about low level wind shear and our alert system in the tower cab because 27 years ago Delta 191 crashed short of Dallas-Fort Worth on final approach because of a microburst during a thunderstorm. Hell, my job exists because two came together over the Grand Canyon.
                        I remember that accident very well. And that Caesar Belli, the son of that swine lawyer Melvin Belli, came all the way from San Francisco and checked into the hotel where the family members were quartered that night, because there are potential customers, don't you know?

And I'm old enough to remember that accident over the Grand Canyon. I believe at the time it was the greatest loss of life ever. And, IIRC was exceeded by that horrific accident in the Canary Islands, where some fool managed to vector two 747's into the same space at the same time. Nicely done. That airport ain't exactly O'Hare.

They were certainly very casual about the ice. Common sense would seem to suggest that when ice warnings came in, they'd get plotted on a chart. Push pins, or something. If they had done that, they would have realized they were heading into an enormous ice field, much further south than customary. Captain Smith even showed his dinner guests one of the ice warnings. On the other hand, not slowing down was apparantly the way things were done. They were confident they'd see a berg in plenty of time because it was a clear, calm night.

When Fred Fleet told Mr. Murdoch "ice berg right ahead," Murdoch ordered the wheel hard over and reversed the engines, essentially slamming on the brakes. The Titanic was a triple screw ship, with the middle prop directly over the rudder--to make it more efficient. However, that center prop drew its power from the other two, and when he slammed the engines in reverse, that center prop stopped turning, making the rudder less efficient. Also, seamanship books of the day cautioned NOT to reverse the engines. The recommendation (in the Titanic's case) would be to reverse the port engine and full speed ahead on the starboard. In other words, the port engine would "pull" the bow to the left, while the starboard engine would "push" it to the left. And all the while that center screw would be pushing water over the rudder. Conclusion? If Murdoch had done that, they probably would have missed the berg altogether.
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 04-14-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

What would we do without the internet?

http://failbook.failblog.org/2010/09...ic-trash-talk/

even better . . .

http://www.funnyordie.com/pictures/2...ures_and_words
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            That's an interesting and sad fact. No human remains are left at the Titanic wreck site. I wonder why. Can the Great Lakes be deeper/colder than the north Atlantic? Is it a function of salinity? Or the passage of time?
                            I think with Titanic, a lot of people were tossed into the drink when the ship went down, and as you mentioned, a good number of the bodies were recovered. The ones that weren't most likely drifted far from the wreck site.

The story huskyfan is referencing is probably the Kamloops, which went down in 1927 off Isle Royale. When John Steele found her 1977, he ran into body of the second engineer floating in the engine room, which is around 270 feet down. What happens is, when a human body is immersed at such depth for long periods of time, layers of fat work their way to the surface and form a chalky/waxy substance that protects the skin. Since the guy was entombed in the engine room, his body never floated away and broke up. I heard the body was finally recovered and returned to his surviving family for burial a couple years ago, but I don't know if it's true. That would be a difficult and risky undertaking for any dive team due to the depth.

There are likely a few bodies like this in the bowels of the Edmund Fitzgerald as well, but it's unlikely anyone will ever see them. Nor should they, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              I assume you're referring to documentaries and articles that found the steel used in her hull was inferior to the steel of today. .
                              It happened during Lend Lease in WW2 also, lots of boats went down when the cold temps made the steel brittle.

As far what would happen with todays steel, I don't know, I remember my metallurgy class talking about steels back then and it wasn't nearly as good as it is today.
                              Last edited by walrus; 04-14-2012, 04:05 PM.
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                It happened during Lend Lease in WW2 also, lots of boats went down when the cold temps made the steel brittle.

As far what would happen with todays steel, I don't know, I remember my metallurgy class talking about steels back then and it wasn't nearly as good as it is today.
                                The tone of those programs was that the discovery that steel from 80 or 90 years ago wasn't as pure and strong as it is today was some sort of revelation. It didn't strike me that way. What manufactured product hasn't been improved upon? What would have been important is if they had discovered that somebody's brother in law had been given the contract to making the steel plates for the hull, despite having a record of producing an inferior product.

What was not generally understood back in '12 was just how "titanic" the forces were when a 46 thousand ton object strikes an ice berg, even a glancing blow, moving at or near full speed. My own, completely unprofessional, guess would be that a modern vessel would likely come away from an identical encounter with a berg in far better shape than the Titanic did. And probably wouldn't be doomed.

Comment

Working...
                                X