No announcement yet.

Florida vs. Zimmerman - Q.E.D????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Florida vs. Zimmerman - Q.E.D????????

Originally posted by duper View Post
    I had forgotten Trayvon Martin was a minor. It's too bad "master" has gone out of use.

Edit: the more I think, the more I reject the "classical English usage" argument. (Mind you, I quite believe that IS why it is that way in the article, so I'm not saying I think Farce Poobah is wrong about his answer, I just reject the idea of doing it that way.) It just seems to me that calling someone by surname only is impolite, unless you call everyone by surname only, or if it is someone who is known to prefer to be called that way. It seems to me that if you are going to abandon the usage of the polite title for juveniles, then you should extend the polite title for adults to those juveniles. Just my $.02
    I agree with you. Well said.
    I don't like the usage either.

Comment

Zimmerman out on $150K bail.

If you're in Z's shoes right now, what do you do?
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

Find out if somebody's using Cheney's secure location.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Throw on a baggy hoodie for anonymity, and head to 7-11 for some Arizona tea and skittles.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Arm yourself?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A reporter for Reuters compiled a detailed background profile of George Zimmerman that was reprinted in the NY Post.

a more nuanced portrait of Zimmerman has emerged from a Reuters investigation into Zimmerman's past and a series of incidents in the community in the months preceding the Martin shooting.

Based on extensive interviews with relatives, friends, neighbors, schoolmates and co-workers of Zimmerman in two states, law enforcement officials, and reviews of court documents and police reports, the story sheds new light on the man at the center of one of the most controversial homicide cases in America.

Though civil rights demonstrators have argued Zimmerman should not have prejudged Martin, one black neighbor of the Zimmermans said recent history should be taken into account.

"Let's talk about the elephant in the room. I'm black, OK?" the woman said, declining to be identified because she anticipated backlash due to her race. She leaned in to look a reporter directly in the eyes. "There were black boys robbing houses in this neighborhood," she said. "That's why George was suspicious of Trayvon Martin."

Zimmerman comes across in this article more like an overzealous overgrown Boy Scout who got in over his head.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                A reporter for Reuters compiled a detailed background profile of George Zimmerman that was reprinted in the NY Post.

Zimmerman comes across in this article more like an overzealous overgrown Boy Scout who got in over his head.
                It's a far more nuanced portrait than any we've seen.

Comment

Thanks for that. Its a mixed report on Zimmerman that in the end evokes sympathy for him. From this report, its looks like a tough situation for everyone. The extent to which that should excuse him for a murder (if that turns out to be the deal) is questionable yet.

Again based on this, it appears its a comination of a difficult situation with local crime with Martin right there, Zimmerman being over his head, and most importantly, a series of bad laws that made the whole thing unfold in this manner that caused this. We can never fix the first two, but IMO the laws should be fixed.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    It's a far more nuanced portrait than any we've seen.
                    Agreed. Too bad most of the media never do anything substantive like this.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Thanks for that. Its a mixed report on Zimmerman that in the end evokes sympathy for him. From this report, its looks like a tough situation for everyone. The extent to which that should excuse him for a murder (if that turns out to be the deal) is questionable yet.

Again based on this, it appears its a comination of a difficult situation with local crime with Martin right there, Zimmerman being over his head, and most importantly, a series of bad laws that made the whole thing unfold in this manner that caused this. We can never fix the first two, but IMO the laws should be fixed.
                      Sorta knocks the pins out from under the core argument of the Revs, His Racistness and the rest of the baying mob: that Zimmerman was motivated by racial animus. Dershowitz calls the indictment "criminal" and "stupid." That about covers it. The two "real" stories here, IMO are the willingness of His Runningness to risk serious racial unrest in order to fire up his black base in a battleground state and the willingness of many in the MSM to once again rush to help him. NBC would be number one on that list.

Comment

Sorta knocks the pins out from under the core argument of the Revs, His Racistness and the rest of the baying mob: that Zimmerman was motivated by racial animus. Dershowitz calls the indictment "criminal" and "stupid." That about covers it. The two "real" stories here, IMO are the willingness of His Runningness to risk serious racial unrest in order to fire up his black base in a battleground state and the willingness of many in the MSM to once again rush to help him. NBC would be number one on that list.
                        According to undisclosed sources, the NBC producer who edited out the question from the 911 operator was fired.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          According to undisclosed sources, the NBC producer who edited out the question from the 911 operator was fired.
                          Too bad NBC hasn't seen fit to apologize for the fraud it perpetrated on the American public. The station involved is an "O & O" meaning it's owned and operated by the network. And this obscure fall guy was therefore an employee of the network. Based on my 35 years in the news business, an edit like that could not possibly have been an "accident," and somebody in the chain of command had to have known it. I have fired people for far less. It's disgraceful. And more than merely firing some dude, NBC should apologize and promise us it won't happen again. And they should do it during their nightly newscast, not in a GD press release.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Based on my 35 years in the news business, an edit like that could not possibly have been an "accident," and somebody in the chain of command had to have known it. I have fired people for far less. It's disgraceful. And more than merely firing some dude, NBC should apologize and promise us it won't happen again. And they should do it during their nightly newscast, not in a GD press release.
                            Thanks, I needed to see a good joke today.

Comment

Too bad NBC hasn't seen fit to apologize for the fraud it perpetrated on the American public. The station involved is an "O & O" meaning it's owned and operated by the network. And this obscure fall guy was therefore an employee of the network. Based on my 35 years in the news business, an edit like that could not possibly have been an "accident," and somebody in the chain of command had to have known it. I have fired people for far less. It's disgraceful. And more than merely firing some dude, NBC should apologize and promise us it won't happen again. And they should do it during their nightly newscast, not in a GD press release.
                              You mean like the way the last paragraph in the article describes?

On Tuesday, NBC said its investigation turned up "an error made in the production process that we deeply regret." It promised that "necessary steps" would be taken "to prevent this from happening in the future" and apologized to viewers.
                              I don't know if the apology was on air or not (I do agree that it should be) but it looks like they have.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                You mean like the way the last paragraph in the article describes?

I don't know if the apology was on air or not (I do agree that it should be) but it looks like they have.
                                Not to my knowledge. They should apologize in every news segment in which the fraudulent audio was used. On Today and where ever else. They should also explain in greater detail how this happend. And how it wasn't deliberate, if that is their contention. And they're hoping a quote in a wire service story will get them off the hook. Maybe it will.

Comment

Working...
                                X