Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun with Homonyms....and the like

Originally posted by duper View Post
    My sister returned to Chicago after about 10 years living in Indiana having lost the ability to use the infinitive "to be."

ex. The baby's diaper needs changed. The leftovers need reheated.
    and there is that Irish locution, "for to"....you need for to do your homework, you want for to win your game, etc.

that doesn't bother me at all, if anything it is quaint and charming (although I usually hear it more from colleens which helps for to make it pleasant).
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      and there is that Irish locution, "for to"....you need for to do your homework, you want for to win your game, etc.

that doesn't bother me at all, if anything it is quaint and charming (although I usually hear it more from colleens which helps for to make it pleasant).
      It could be a syntactic carry-over from the Irish language. I don't know. My uncle doesn't say it, and he has a lot of those little weird Irish things, but it seems like the kind of thing that comes from another language. Kind of like the consistent use of double negatives by a lot of native Spanish speakers. Some habits are just hard to break.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
        It could be a syntactic carry-over from the Irish language. I don't know. My uncle doesn't say it, and he has a lot of those little weird Irish things, but it seems like the kind of thing that comes from another language. Kind of like the consistent use of double negatives by a lot of native Spanish speakers. Some habits are just hard to break.
        I've been around a more than a few first-generation immigrants from Ireland and they have different accents depending upon what part of the country they came from...the ones from belFAST (they accented the second syllable) were noticeably different than the ones from Donegal, for example. Also, they all were considerably older than me which may also have been a factor.

Sometimes I'll put on The Secret of Roan Inish just to listen to the pennywhistle and the accents....lovely movie.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I've been around a more than a few first-generation immigrants from Ireland and they have different accents depending upon what part of the country they came from...the ones from belFAST (they accented the second syllable) were noticeably different than the ones from Donegal, for example. Also, they all were considerably older than me which may also have been a factor.

Sometimes I'll put on The Secret of Roan Inish just to listen to the pennywhistle and the accents....lovely movie.
          My uncle is from County Claire, and after living in this country for about 40 years. his brogue is thicker than anyone you will ever see in an American movie or tv show. I literally have to listen to him speak for a few minutes before I start to understand him every time I see him.

Comment

I really like the word "callipygian."

I like the way it sounds when I hear it, I like the way it feels in my mouth when I say it, I like the images it brings to mind when I think about it.....

Comment

Ralph Baer shaved a bear so its outer coat was bare.

Comment

True story: I knew a woman once who played on a women's softball team sponsored by an accounting firm. The name of their team: The Assettes.

Bonus for me, she was pleasingly callipygian.

Comment

Ah - speaking of team names and homonyms, my all time favorite was the Cornell electrical engineering intramural hockey team: The Eulers.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I really like the word "callipygian."

I like the way it sounds when I hear it, I like the way it feels in my mouth when I say it, I like the images it brings to mind when I think about it.....
                    Back when I played club volleyball there was a team named Callipygian. It was a men's team.

Comment

I learned something new the other day....the word "pandemonium" has as its etymology "pan-" as in an aggregation of, "demon" as in demons, "ium" as place.

So pandemonium is like a room full of demons.

Oddly, learned it at an interesting website called www.askphilosophers.org, where there is Q&A between those interested enough to ask questions and a panel of professional philosophers to provide answers.

Comment

I saw a weird juxtiposition in the same article....a team wanted to re-sign someone and someone else resigned.

Not sure why the pear-pare-pair-pere combo occurred to me,

Comment

I saw a good one today....inciteful / insightful.

Comment

I saw a good one today....inciteful / insightful.
                            On the same token...

When John witnessed a beautiful sight at the site recommended to him, he decided to cite his experience in writing.

Comment

One person on my facebook feed is complaining about people who are posting self-pity.

Whoa, woe!

Comment

Meh, this is as good a place to ask the question as any.

For my job, I'm a business systems analyst. I write instructions to application developers on how a system should act when certain events occur. In one of my system rules I wrote, "When the system identifies that the...that does not comport to the layout provided..." Is any of this language above the norm? My developer complained about the word "comport" being present. I've never thought it to be a difficult word. Am I wrong with that thought? Another of my BSA coworkers agrees with the developer. I think they're off their rockers and need to pick up a book some time that's not about glittering vampires and the like.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X