Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potsdam Bears 2012-13 season....on the Road Again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potsdam Bears 2012-13 season....on the Road Again....

Interesting discussion going on here. The renovations at Maxcy are absolutely necessary, if you don't believe me ask Mr. Jaslow about the Geneseo game 2 years ago. The best player ever at Potsdam? I do not intend to disrespect Howie Vandermast, but I would vote for Steve Naughton anyday. With that I pose this question, has anyone ever seen a player single handily beat Plattsburgh by himself? Game, set, match.
    LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
      ... With that I pose this question, has anyone ever seen a player single handily beat Plattsburgh by himself? Game, set, match.
      I've seen a Cardinal goalie or two accomplish this
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Romney had wire fence for glass back in '82, not too long before you were there.
        I found the wire fence was quite helpful when scaling the wall to yell at refs and opposing players '73-'77...which was also a quick way to get tossed from a game (as a spectator...)
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

I do not intend to disrespect Howie Vandermast, but I would vote for Steve Naughton anyday. With that I pose this question, has anyone ever seen a player single handily beat Plattsburgh by himself? Game, set, match.
          Interestingly, I was having this very same discussion with my wife last night. I mentioned the previous post which stated about four names as the best players ever at Potsdam. I then told her, "Can't disagree with any of them. And no doubt, Steve Naughton was the best of them all." And I saw all those players on that list in person, especially Denis Marcoux who I went to school with.
          Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Howie was just a bit before my time as far as following Bears hockey. Interesting note, I was conversing with a friend of mine the other day about all of this talk of Naughton, VanderMast, and Sunday. He was telling me a story about when Howie was was assisting the Potsdam High School team back in the early 90's. Apparently, Howie took a slapshot from the blueline on one of the goalies, and it was a blocker save. However, his shot was so hard that it nearly rendered the blocker useless as the goalie ended up bruising his hand. Ok, now that's a slapper.
            LETS GO BEARS!

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Howie was just a bit before my time as far as following Bears hockey. Interesting note, I was conversing with a friend of mine the other day about all of this talk of Naughton, VanderMast, and Sunday. He was telling me a story about when Howie was was assisting the Potsdam High School team back in the early 90's. Apparently, Howie took a slapshot from the blueline on one of the goalies, and it was a blocker save. However, his shot was so hard that it nearly rendered the blocker useless as the goalie ended up bruising his hand. Ok, now that's a slapper.
              And let's not forget Chris Lee, the closest any Potsdam grad got to playing in the NHL (did play in exhibition games for the Islanders, got called up a few times by the Penguins, but never suited up for a regular season game), to the list of all time Potsdam greats. One of the best I ever saw at quarterbacking a power play at any level.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

I submit the following for the Bears all-time team:

1st Team; Naughton, Bell and Denis Marcoux up front with Vandermast and Dave Palmisano on D. Ryan Venturelli is the best they've had in goal.

2nd Team: Chris Lee, Connor Treacy and Pierre Marcoux the forwards with Sunday and Dave Weagle and probably Randy Brown.

Some other good ones were Randy Frederick, Jay Perras and goalie for their best team ('95-96) Dragone.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                  I submit the following for the Bears all-time team:

1st Team; Naughton, Bell and Denis Marcoux up front with Vandermast and Dave Palmisano on D. Ryan Venturelli is the best they've had in goal.

2nd Team: Chris Lee, Connor Treacy and Pierre Marcoux the forwards with Sunday and Dave Weagle and probably Randy Brown.

Some other good ones were Randy Frederick, Jay Perras and goalie for their best team ('95-96) Dragone.
                  Chris Lee was a defenseman. I would move him to the first team and drop Palmisano to the second team. In fact, Naughton played defense for quite some time as well when they were short due to injuries.

You forgot about the goalie who came after Brown. I'm drawing a blank -- French Canadian name, starts with an "L". Him, Brown, Venturelli, and Dragone were the only four star goalies for Potsdam.

Speaking of Frederick, the best line Potsdam probably ever had was Denis-Pierre-Frederick.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Chris Lee was a defenseman. I would move him to the first team and drop Palmisano to the second team. In fact, Naughton played defense for quite some time as well when they were short due to injuries.

You forgot about the goalie who came after Brown. I'm drawing a blank -- French Canadian name, starts with an "L". Him, Brown, Venturelli, and Dragone were the only four star goalies for Potsdam.

Speaking of Frederick, the best line Potsdam probably ever had was Denis-Pierre-Frederick.
                    Of course Lee was a forward. He switched to defense in the pros. I got all confused.

With that, I agree with your forward selections with the possible exception of switching in Frederick for Treacy. Really tough call. I know opposing coaches would rave about Treacy to me, but Frederick was really good, too. Different eras of course. Really tough to decide between those two for the final top six spot.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

I would replace Perras with Sunday. I don't think it was right to transfer to the Evil Empire for the senior season, that just reeks.
                      LETS GO BEARS!

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

You're right. The goalie you speak of was Stefan Laperriere. Put him on 2nd team behind Venturelli. We all forgot Ryan McCarthy at forward, a good one. I played against Brown, Frederick and the Marcoux brothers so I may be a little partial there. Frederick was gritty and chirped a lot, but had good hands. The Marcoux's, especially Denis, were players you had to watch. Poor Brown saw 50 shots a game and stood on his head on occasion.. Given a better team in front of him, I think he would have been their best goalie. Perras finally came to his senses and joined the Empire.

Comment

I think Stan Gutt and Daryn McLean deserve some recognition as well. I wish I could find an All Time Scoring Leader list for P'dam.
                          LETS GO BEARS!

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Comment

Wow, some old memories here. Been a while since I posted here.

Some thoughts on these guys you're talking about as I played with many of them.

McLean a very good rugged two way forward. A great leader too. Good guy.

Perras, the move to Platty his Sr year should be telling. That's all I'll say with him. Good player though. My exposure to him was limited.

Steve Naughton, his 6pt night against Platty and I had the best seat in the house for it. Just one of those moments that you cannot comprehend how dominant he was that night and most nights for that matter. A great 2 way player, and fantastic athlete. Good guy too. How he never went anywhere after he played in the ECHL was beyond me. Truly deserving of being a Potsdam HoFer.

Nate Sunday, you wont find a more nice guy. I cannot speak for the Vandermast dood(although I'd be shocked if I haven't played against him at some point here on Long Island) but Nate had the hardest, most technical shot I've ever seen, or had the unfortunate pleasure of trying to stop, this includes NHLers I've been against. Just a first rate bomb. His defense was underrated and he is one of the strongest human beings I've ever met. Just pure power. I'm happy for him being inducted, and often wondered what became of Nate after graduation. Just happy I don't have to see that shot every day in practice still.

Dave Dragone, I had the pleasure of riding a lot of pine behind him. Very talented and consistent. Good guy. Back in the old ECAC post season 'All Star' game that they used to hold with the D1,2,3 guys all affiliated, back in 1997, Dave out played a guy who would later make a bit of a name for himself in many ways.....Tim Thomas. He only played 2yrs at Potsdam but they were two of the most successful in school history and he was a major component of it. He too should be enshrined. I believe he was 2x All Conf. And was even an honorable mention All American his Jr yr.
                            LeVon: This is a box of puddin', Barry
                            Barry: what does it say?
                            LeVon: It says "cook, and chill"
                            Barry: Aw yeah.
                            LeVon: and baby, that's what I do every night. I cook, and then I chill.
                            Aw yeah.

Comment

this thread needs pictures

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                                this thread needs pictures
                                Not sure this is going to work or not, but there's a thing called the Internet Archive.

Here's Nate Sunday

*****http://ethos-technology.com/images/sunday.GIF******

See if I can find a few more.

{edit} I had to download and host myself as you can't link to the Internet Archive.

{double edit} That's all I can find. Somewhere I have a program/yearbook from one of the games that my parents picked up.
                                Last edited by sloth2946; 06-20-2012, 01:58 PM.
                                LeVon: This is a box of puddin', Barry
                                Barry: what does it say?
                                LeVon: It says "cook, and chill"
                                Barry: Aw yeah.
                                LeVon: and baby, that's what I do every night. I cook, and then I chill.
                                Aw yeah.

Comment

Working...
                                X