Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pegula Ice Arena - a Virtual View

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Putting the boards in too! Starting to look like a hockey arena.

And it's nice to see the paint going on, especially in our broadcast spot.
    Are they going to be putting seating at the far end? Or is that going to be SRO?

Benches on one side? That's dull.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      Putting the boards in too! Starting to look like a hockey arena.

And it's nice to see the paint going on, especially in our broadcast spot.

*****https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7328/8789917638_aba3fbdbd3_z.jpg******

Looks amazing.

Comment

Looks like they started the boards Monday and finished the near end today. Corner entrances are still open, but how else would you get that crane used for the lighting out of there?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Are they going to be putting seating at the far end? Or is that going to be SRO?

Benches on one side? That's dull.
          That's the student section. They're going to stand so no seats there.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Looks amazing.

Really?

This is what all the fuss was about?

Seriously, most OHL rinks are better -- significantly better. Every former-WCHA rink is better except perhaps UAA.

Is this the face that launched a thousand ships? (Or words to that effect).

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
              Really?

Seriously, most OHL rinks are better -- significantly better. Every former-WCHA rink is better except perhaps UAA.

They're not even done yet! Yeesh.

Comment

I hope Colgate's new rink is like Pegula, will be smaller though.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                  Really?

This new rink is nice, but not enough seating for DI hockey. Good size for a division II school.

Seriously if the hockey program becomes successful you will quickly outgrow this facility.
                  "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                    This new rink is nice, but not enough seating for DI hockey. Good size for a division II school.

Seriously if the hockey program becomes successful you will quickly outgrow this facility.
                    Or the demand could outpace the supply and you can get more $$ for the tickets. 6 grand is a good size (it is 6,000 isn't it?)
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Pegula Ice Arena - a Virtual View

I disagree; take a look at the capacities. Keep in mind that of the 2 biggest arenas (Ohio State and Nebraska-Omaha), neither fills it up, though UNO draws pretty well regularly and once or twice a year packs the arena.

Penn State packed their Ice Pavilion, but that was less than 2000. They drew well in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but we'll have to wait and see what the regular crowds are week-to-week in State College. I hope it goes well for them.

Comment

Michigan is D-II just based upon their arena. Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Michigan is D-II just based upon their arena. Got it.
                          Aw crap, BU got demoted to D-II also. So this means the most D-I worthy HE school is....UMass?
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            Aw crap, BU got demoted to D-II also. So this means the most D-I worthy HE school is....UMass?
                            On the bright side, it looks like a Divison-II championship actually exists again!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                              I disagree; take a look at the capacities. Keep in mind that of the 2 biggest arenas (Ohio State and Nebraska-Omaha), neither fills it up, though UNO draws pretty well regularly and once or twice a year packs the arena.

Penn State packed their Ice Pavilion, but that was less than 2000. They drew well in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but we'll have to wait and see what the regular crowds are week-to-week in State College. I hope it goes well for them.
                              Just saying that for a large D1 school in the Big 10 conference the arena is small. Minnesota Duluth, a D II school just built a 6,600 seat arena a few years back. Like I said good size for D II.

Now if you look at the other rinks in the Big 10 conference, Minnesota seats 10,000, Wisconsin seats 15,000, and Ohio State seats 17,000. Minnesota and Wisconsin usually sell out, but attendance at Ohio State games is only about 4,000. Rinks at Michigan and Michigan state are slightly larger so actually when your new rink is completed it will be the smallest in the conference.
                              "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Just saying that for a large D1 school in the Big 10 conference the arena is small. Minnesota Duluth, a D II school just built a 6,600 seat arena a few years back. Like I said good size for D II.

Now if you look at the other rinks in the Big 10 conference, Minnesota seats 10,000, Wisconsin seats 15,000, and Ohio State seats 17,000. Minnesota and Wisconsin usually sell out, but attendance at Ohio State games is only about 4,000. Rinks at Michigan and Michigan state are slightly larger so actually when your new rink is completed it will be the smallest in the conference.
                                Forget capacities, look at attendance. Assuming that it works out to exactly 6,000 seats (which, it won't - it'll be something goofy like 6,245 or something like that once the fire marshal puts the number on the building), and they sell out, they'll be 8th in the country and 3rd in the Big 10 next year, ahead of everyone not named UWisc or UMinn. This is a bad thing - why?

And to look at the bigger picture, make sure you realize that Happy Valley has a metro area of just ~150,000 people to draw from every home weekend. You throw around Duluth and their new rink with "good size for D-II." Um, you realize that metro Duluth has a population of 280,000 people? And Bulldog hockey is the #1 thing going on any given Friday or Saturday night (as opposed to D-I basketball maybe next door, or wrestling, or who knows what else)? And that before the new rink, UMD averaged just 4,500 a night? Of course you didn't realize that...
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X