Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2012 Miami Off-Season Thread

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
    But there are successful teams that don't even have a single draft pick let alone USNTDP player. Ferris would be the best example
    Complete respect for what Daniels has done with the limited resources available to him in Big Rapids, but 2 post-season appearances in 20 years is NOT the model we need to be putting on a pedestal.

At any rate, we'll be playing the NTDP lottery for at least a few more off seasons with Hamilton, Louis and Belpedio.

Comment

Been over a week since we've any bad news, to quote Peppy Hare (among others) "it's quiet, too quiet". Just waiting on the fourth shoe to drop any time between now and the draft.

Congrats to Kuraly and McKay, both named 2nd Team All-USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
        Been over a week since we've any bad news, to quote Peppy Hare (among others) "it's quiet, too quiet". Just waiting on the fourth shoe to drop any time between now and the draft.

Congrats to Kuraly and McKay, both named 2nd Team All-USHL.
        I used to like the idea of the longer we go with no news is good news. That was until murphy bailed at the last minute. Then blew out his knee right after. Karma

Comment

New Miami d-man recruit Taylor Richart. Spent last season with Fargo Force posting a line of 60 GP 7-9--16, 18 PIM, +8. He is a bit on the smaller side with hockeydb saying he is 5'9 150lbs.
          2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by SweeneyHawksHockey View Post
            5'9 150lbs.
            Wow... somebody needs to feed this kid

Comment

Coming in this fall, wonder if that means Bingham is gone.

And somebody get that kid a toasted roll.

Comment

So the NCHC post season tourney is at the target center. I don't think Miami will ever have more than 50 fans...

Comment

Coming in this fall, wonder if that means Bingham is gone.

And somebody get that kid a toasted roll.
                  I find it hard to believe that he would go through all that effort to get on the team just to bail a year later. I mean, it can't be a playing time issue...

Comment

So the NCHC post season tourney is at the target center. I don't think Miami will ever have more than 50 fans...
                    You can bank on virtually no students. As road trip happy as we were the last few years of school, even I probably would have balked at a 24 hour round trip in three days. Logistics aside, that is going to get expensive in a hurry, and whereas most people could find a friend's apartment or parents' house at which to crash in Detroit, how many people at Miami know someone from Minneapolis

Someone over on MHT mentioned the MSP Alumni chapter had pulled 30+ people for game watches in the past, so maybe there is a shot at 100 or so folks, but anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise. Personally, I'll be more likely to spend money in the next few years on a flight out to North Dakota or Denver/CC to see our first road series at those rinks over a ticket to go sit in a 3/4 empty Target Center.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm decidedly less excited about this conference than I was 9 months ago. Once the relief of not being left behind wore off, the fact that the tournament is going to suck (location, attendance, venue), and that we as fans only have one manageable road trip is kind of ****ty. We'd be in the exact same situation in Hockey East or the nWCHA though, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
                    I find it hard to believe that he would go through all that effort to get on the team just to bail a year later. I mean, it can't be a playing time issue...
                    I don't know how much effort was actually involved there. IIRC he was set to attend Miami as a regular student when he heard about Murphy decommiting, so his father contacted Rico and asked if he could get a tryout. He showed up at Goggin the first day of orientation, skated around with Trags for 20 minutes and was on the team as a practice player. At any rate I just remember seeing some quote along the line that his stint with the team could be for just the one year until the roster could be filled out with scholarship players (coaching decision, not his).

Comment

I don't know how much effort was actually involved there. IIRC he was set to attend Miami as a regular student when he heard about Murphy decommiting, so his father contacted Rico and asked if he could get a tryout. He showed up at Goggin the first day of orientation, skated around with Trags for 20 minutes and was on the team as a practice player. At any rate I just remember seeing some quote along the line that his stint with the team could be for just the one year until the roster could be filled out with scholarship players (coaching decision, not his).
                      Ahh, gotcha. I guess I was under the impression that this was more of a Rudy thing.

Comment

Some tidbits on our one remaining draftee, assuming no one decides to take a flyer on Czarnik in the late rounds.

TSN has Barber as one of the top 20 players projected after the 2nd round to keep an eye on

Reel Scouting also has a report on Riley up w/isolation video.

Comment

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm decidedly less excited about this conference than I was 9 months ago.
                          Agreed. Playing North Dakota and Denver every year will be fun but i'd still rather have the CCHA. Hopefully we continue to schedule O$U and BGSTDU.

Comment

Agreed. Playing North Dakota and Denver every year will be fun but i'd still rather have the CCHA. Hopefully we continue to schedule O$U and BGSTDU.
                            Rico recently stated that in 2013 and beyond, Miami & OSU would start the season with a split series - one game in Columbus & 1 game in Oxford.

He said that both schools hope to keep the series going to start the season each year - I am not sure if the contract has been signed yet.

Comment

A little late in responding but hey, that's more fans than what Denver has ever brought to the WCHA Final Five. Hell, even 10 Miami fans will be more than the 3-5(even this is a generous number) Denver fans that make the trek to the conference tournament each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor View Post
                                Rico recently stated that in 2013 and beyond, Miami & OSU would start the season with a split series - one game in Columbus & 1 game in Oxford.

He said that both schools hope to keep the series going to start the season each year - I am not sure if the contract has been signed yet.
                                As a Buckeye Fan i hope they get this done as well as a Series with BG but if only one series can get done i would rather it be with Miami.

Comment

Working...
                                X