Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2012 Miami Off-Season Thread

Yeeeeeeeeah.

I'm just operating under the assumption that Barber well follow suit. Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
      Yeeeeeeeeah.

Murphy BIGGS sieloff hartman smith. 5 players in less than 12 months leaving early or not showing up. Crappppppp

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeah.

Ugh...

I realize this is bound to happen when you recruit hot prospects, but at a certain point do we stop putting all of our eggs in the team USA basket?

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
          Ugh...

I realize this is bound to happen when you recruit hot prospects, but at a certain point do we stop putting all of our eggs in the team USA basket?
          I'm over them, that's for sure. Give me the low round or undrafted guy that will be around for 3-4 years that this staff has proven time and time again they can develop over the crapshoot that these blue chips are. 8 USNTDP players have broken their commitments in the last 10 months and we have three of them. Is that bad luck or do we just not have the credentials needed to stand up to the OHL recruiting barrage yet?
          Last edited by MUhawks628; 05-28-2012, 06:52 AM.

Comment

I'm over them, that's for sure. Give me the low round or undrafted guy that will be around for 3-4 years that this staff has proven time and time again they can develop over the crapshoot that these blue chips are. 8 USNTDP players have broken their commitments in the last 10 months and we have three of them. Is that bad luck or do we just not have the credentials needed to stand up to the OHL recruiting barrage yet?
            What is the attraction of the OHL over the NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
              What is the attraction of the OHL over the NCAA?
              There is no shortage of discussion and complaining on this forum alone, but the readers digest version of it boils down to the fact that most prospects view it as a better developmental league and a better shot at making it to the NHL.

Comment

There is no shortage of discussion and complaining on this forum alone, but the readers digest version of it boils down to the fact that most prospects view it as a better developmental league and a better shot at making it to the NHL.
                and I'm sure the fact that Winsdor will be hosting the 2014 Memorial Cup didn't help Miami's chances either.

Comment

I'm a UND fan, and I'm so over the NTDP it's not even funny. We have also lost 3 recruits. Lately it seems Miami and UND have been hit the hardest by the decommits. Part of me says good riddance because I don't want some spineless kid who can't stick with a decision that apparently has a prima-donna/ego problem, playing hockey for my school, but the other part of me is annoyed because it's like you almost have to over-recruit to prepare for this crap. You don't see too many kids playing in the USHL or other junior leagues decommiting at the same rate. It's kind of baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                    I'm a UND fan, and I'm so over the NTDP it's not even funny. We have also lost 3 recruits. Lately it seems Miami and UND have been hit the hardest by the decommits. Part of me says good riddance because I don't want some spineless kid who can't stick with a decision that apparently has a prima-donna/ego problem, playing hockey for my school, but the other part of me is annoyed because it's like you almost have to over-recruit to prepare for this crap. You don't see too many kids playing in the USHL or other junior leagues decommiting at the same rate. It's kind of baffling.
                    Well said.

Even when these USNTDP guys do make it to campus, one or maybe two years is really all you can expect out of them. Very few players are able to make that kind of impact just for one year to rationalize the resources spent on recruiting them. Just look at Biggs, no doubt he has raw talent, but he came in for just one year and was honestly the 4th best freshman on the team.

Comment

Well said.

Even when these USNTDP guys do make it to campus, one or maybe two years is really all you can expect out of them. Very few players are able to make that kind of impact just for one year to rationalize the resources spent on recruiting them. Just look at Biggs, no doubt he has raw talent, but he came in for just one year and was honestly the 4th best freshman on the team.
                      Biggs was/is also an egomaniac who never bought into The Brotherhood.
                      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Just look at Biggs, no doubt he has raw talent, but he came in for just one year and was honestly the 4th best freshman on the team.
                        Good point. It's interesting that guys like Miele, Camper and Cannone go undrafted but are superb college players. The questions that needs to be addressed is should we continue to recruit raw talent / 1st and 2nd round draft picks? or should we go for the players that don't quite have clear nhl potential but rather enough talent to be an asset for 3 or 4 years. I see advantages and disadvantages to both styles of recruiting. Personally, I would rather us recruit guys who can give a solid commitment because they want to 1. get a top notch education and 2. win a national championship. Sure, blue-chip recruits can add to a programs prestige but even after all the resources and hard work to get their "commitment" it is no guarantee of success. I would also argue that Justin VAIVE contributed more to Miami's program than 1-year rental Biggs/Hartmann/Sieloff combined.

Comment

The questions that needs to be addressed is should we continue to recruit raw talent / 1st and 2nd round draft picks? or should we go for the players that don't quite have clear nhl potential but rather enough talent to be an asset for 3 or 4 years.
                          To be a competitive program you probably need to do both. The problem for us (at least for the past few seasons) has been that our top-tier guys have all been from the USNTDP, and when they inevitably bail we are forced to pick up second choice guys from the USHL. I would much rather see us focusing our efforts on solid players who will be committed for 3-4 years, while occasionally playing the Team USA lottery.*

*This is based on absolutely zero practical knowledge of what hockey recruiting is really like. Take it for what its worth.

Comment

To be a competitive program you probably need to do both. The problem for us (at least for the past few seasons) has been that our top-tier guys have all been from the USNTDP, and when they inevitably bail we are forced to pick up second choice guys from the USHL. I would much rather see us focusing our efforts on solid players who will be committed for 3-4 years, while occasionally playing the Team USA lottery.*

*This is based on absolutely zero practical knowledge of what hockey recruiting is really like. Take it for what its worth.
                            But there are successful teams that don't even have a single draft pick let alone USNTDP player. Ferris would be the best example

Comment

But there are successful teams that don't even have a single draft pick let alone USNTDP player. Ferris would be the best example
                              Successful team or 1 out of 100 successful bob daniels trap system?

Comment

Have to agree with mcfarljd on this one, they were a great team this past season, but they have been consistently middle-of-the-pack for the last decade.

Also just realized that we are guaranteed another alumni Stanley Cup winner after this series, woohoo!

Comment

Working...
                                X